C2D: problem solving my OC

dclapps

Weaksauce
It looks like the ship has sailed on overclocking C2Ds, but I've read everything I could get my eyes on and haven't been able to figure out where I am going wrong with my e8500. This post is for those who like to figure out problems.

I've got a Gigabyte ep45-ud3r, the cpu on an upgraded HSF (can't remember which) and 2x2gb of 1066 ram. I've had the computer running stock for a year with no problems. (Before overclocking, I turned my computer on one day and it wouldn't POST. I switched the position of the old 2x2gb Corsair set and it's worked fine since. I haven't memtested the Corsair yet; I went out and bought a new OCZ set to OC with which passes memtest.)

I've had the FSB up to 533 (at a 6x multi) and the RAM will pass memtest 1:1 @ 1066. I've got the ram running at spec (2.1v), temperature is never over 60 on the cpu, I've had vcore up to 1.3825 (in BIOS) and I cannot game/P95 at 3.6, 3.8, or anything other than stock. I've raised the MCH, ICH and seemingly all else; in fact, I've practically copied multiple BIOS templates with their values even to get a mild overclock and I'm hitting the wall. It is always a BSOD. In all the tweaking, I've only seen P95 fail a handful of times; the result is always a blue screen.

Yesterday I figured if I can't get it as high as I like, I should at least run at 3.6 with no other tweaks to settings. 5 mins into BC2, BSOD. I changed memory from manual at ~880 or so to AUTO (which put it at 800), and it would BSOD at Vista loading screen.

For a while I thought I was missing some setting somewhere, but like I've said, I've tried a number of different BIOS templates (people on this intertron had different ideas with certain settings, but I have tried all). Is this a faulty motherboard?

Try a lower FSB? With Vcore that high, assuming you have a solid chip and cooling, it should do at least 3.4-3.6. Maybe it's the board? Take the ram out of the equation and drop that as low as possible. Find your board's max FSB. Then start tweaking from there. Maybe 366x9 would be a good start for 3.3Ghz.

What is a good fsb test inside windows? I've booted into Vista with an FSB of 533 and ran P95 for a few minutes to test ram, but it was at 6x (which ends up being 3.2ghz).

DC

If you're going to overclock the FSB so high, or for any overclocking for that matter, you need to be methodical.

1.) First find the voltage - overclock capability of the cpu.... 3.2 = x volts, 3.4 = x volts, 3.6 x volts, mean while, and here's the important thing, keeping the motherboard relatively stable at a low overclock, like 400 fsb.

once you find the limits and the necessary voltages for the cpu, then,

2.) work on a higher fsb speed, if that's really what you want or need. To be honest, I don't see the need of going beyond 500....but never mind that.

What I'm trying to say it's tricky to find cpu and motherboard limits, which are different, if you just jump into a crazy across-the-board high overclock.....too much to keep track of...NB, SB, RAM, CPU, voltage, cooling, etc..............break it down

Back