• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

C2D e6300 upgrade?

hardly

Gawd
Joined
Jul 12, 2010
Messages
649
Alright, my current rig is crippled by its poor E6300 1.8ghz CPU. I've got it clocked up to 3ghz but it isn't helping a whole lot. I am in a situation where I could upgrade to either a faster C2D/C2Q or a socket 1366 i7. I have a dead P6T-SE that I can RMA and I have a 4GB dual channel DDR3 kit that I could use in that. My choices are spend about $130ish on a better 775 cpu or spend $200ish on a 1366 system. Neither of these will last more than probably 6 months, just waiting for sandy bridge to drop in price a bit. What would you guys do?
 
I just went through a similar upgrade, from an E6400. I didn't have the budget for new mobo/RAM/CPU, so picked up the Q9300 at Micro Center for $100. It will still be able to do everything I need it to for the near future.

With your situation it seems to make a lot more sense to go i7. LGA 775 chip prices are way too high now for what you get, and you already have the mobo and RAM for 1366. Plus, if you wanted to sell the current rig when you upgrade to SB, you will get much more out of 1366 than you would 775.

Might even be able to pick up a used chip from a SB early adopter and save a little more money.
 
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but it seems tailored exactly to my question. My wife has a Core2 E6300 with 2GB. She just got a new DSLR which takes 18MP pictures... needless to say, she'll need much more processing power to touch up and edit photos now.

Option 1 is to upgrade the CPU to a Q9xxx for around $100 and adding 4GB for another $50 (or even 8GB if I can find a good deal on 8GB DDR2). Also this way I won't have to reinstall Windows :)

How well and how long do you think this setup will work for photo processing purposes?

Option 2 would be to get a whole new i5 SB setup, but that would run me at $350-$400 for the CPU/RAM/Mobo plus the hassle of reinstalling Windows.

If option 1 can last at least 2 years, then I'd probably be inclined to go with that one and do a big upgrade then. Comments and opinions are appreciated!
 
I'd go with a C2Q, especially if it won't last for more than six months. Think about how little the cost will be when considering reselling the parts.
 
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but it seems tailored exactly to my question. My wife has a Core2 E6300 with 2GB. She just got a new DSLR which takes 18MP pictures... needless to say, she'll need much more processing power to touch up and edit photos now.

Option 1 is to upgrade the CPU to a Q9xxx for around $100 and adding 4GB for another $50 (or even 8GB if I can find a good deal on 8GB DDR2). Also this way I won't have to reinstall Windows :)

How well and how long do you think this setup will work for photo processing purposes?

Option 2 would be to get a whole new i5 SB setup, but that would run me at $350-$400 for the CPU/RAM/Mobo plus the hassle of reinstalling Windows.

If option 1 can last at least 2 years, then I'd probably be inclined to go with that one and do a big upgrade then. Comments and opinions are appreciated!

Windows seven doesn't need to be reinstalled really. It's so versatile that it can pretty much fix any compatibility issues.
 
After a week or so of research, it could have cost me roughly $200 for a used Q9xxx or Q8xxx and 8GB of DDR2 so I ended up getting a Core i5-2400, motherboard and 8GB of DDR3 for $275. Didn't realize how freaking cheap things were for new stuff now, it was a total no brainer. My original estimate of $350-$400 for the parts was WAY overestimated.
 
Yeah its amazing how much performance we can get for the money these days.
 
Yes the prices to get really good hardware right now is very low. Heck look at how low RAM is. You can pick up 4GB of DDR 3 1333 or 1600 for under $50.
 
Yes the prices to get really good hardware right now is very low. Heck look at how low RAM is. You can pick up 4GB of DDR 3 1333 or 1600 for under $50.
Yeah, RAM prices are ABSOLUTELY ridiculous. I got 8GB 1333 (XMP 1600) for just $40 after rebate. I still remember when I built my gen 1 Core i3 in Jan 2010, 4GB DDR3 cost me over $100!!!!
 
Back
Top