C1100 Questions

TType85

[H]ard|Gawd
I know a few here have some Dell C1100 1u's. I have one on the way for my dev VM environment. 2x X5650's 72GB ram, going to use a few 480gb ssds.

Does anyone know if these can be put in a E-ATX 4u case? I've seen a few posts elsewhere of people who did it and said there was just issues with the front panel header being a ribbon instead of separate wires, If I could put it in a 4u I wouldn't have to put it out in the garage.

The guts should fit into an E-ATX case. Why do you want to switch the cases? The C1100 running at the fans lowest settings isn't too bad. However it's also not whisper quiet either.

Main reason for switching would be to make it as quiet as a desktop but we will see when I get it how it sounds.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just adding a couple of my observations to what seems to be the most appropriate C1100 thread;

These run hot. I just powered mine on today and wow, that's a lot of heat that comes out of them, more than out of any other servers I have seen thus far (Dell 1850, 1950, 2950, R610, R620, R720).

Also, they don't show up in the Dell Repository Manager, making it a lot more inconvenient to update the BIOS and assorted firmwares. That makes me a sad panda. Maybe there's a built-in update ability via BMC, didn't look into that yet.

Back