C&C Generals Help

Defc0n 6

Gawd
I'm not sure if any of you are aware, but Westwood is known for horrendous online coding and the such. Anyway, while attempting to play a game of Generals with a friend, I ran into Westwood woes . At first, I couldn't even get to the part where you check for patches. After reinstalling, I was able to get past that and into the log in screen. When I try to log in, I get a message similar to: "Could not connect to Generals online" or something of that sort. I forwarded all the ports that I found I was supposed to on the web. No luck. I applied virtual DMZ. No luck. Anyone got ideas? :confused:

I am going to assume that you have patched both systems, and you are using two legitimate copies. Try these:

http://www.d-silence.com/feature.php?id=244 said:
If you are running a firewall (particularly a NETGEAR solution) and are unable to connect to other players while in the Command & Conquer Generals multiplayer lobby, check the Send Delay box under the Network Options portion of the game's Options menu. If you are still experiencing connection problems, you may want to place your firewall in DMZ mode. (WARNING: Doing so will open your firewall ports to everyone, and this should only be done as a last resort). If you do not know how to configure your firewall settings, consult your firewall documentation or contact your Internet service provider.

or

http://www.d-silence.com/feature.php?id=244 said:
The game will need to talk to external servers that use the following port numbers. These ports need to be open in your firewall in order to play on Generals Online: TCP ports: 80, 6667, 28910, 29900, 29920 UDP ports: 4321, 27900 If your firewall does not allow outgoing packets to open ports to incoming traffic, or you experience problems connecting to other players, you will have to specify which port you want Command & Conquer Generals to use for communicating with other players. To do this, perform the following steps. Go to your “My Documents” directory, and go to the “Command and Conquer Generals Data” directory. Right click on the options.ini file and choose "Edit." Look for the "FirewallPortOverride" entry. If you don’t see this entry, add it as a new line. Then assign the port you want to use to the port override entry. After making this change, this entry should look like: FirewallPortOverride = XXXX Where XXXX is the port number you have chosen. You will need to open the chosen port in your firewall for communication with players external to your firewall or NAT device. If you use the port override feature, the port you have chosen can not be masqueraded by a NAT device.

try these two little numbers and see if that helps.

Cheers,

Yes, we are both using legal versions. The problem though is only on my end since I can't log in. I tried virtual DMZ and I tried forwarding all those ports like suggested. I didn't do the other thing since I'm not really sure what it means.

Back