Bytecc Landisk - "Disk Not Found"

XacTactX

Supreme [H]ardness
I just got a Landisk today, and I can't set it up for the life of me.

Bytecc Landisk ME-850
WD Caviar Blue 320GB

When I look at the drive status section, it always says "Disk not found". The light that designates HDD read/write never comes on. When I hit the format button, I get a error message that only shows for a split second. The error message says: Action Fail Error Code: Please Refer to Manual. Nothing in the manual or Google explains this error.

The instructions say that the HDD you use has to support UDMA. Does my HDD support that? It's the only thing I can think of.

This is all really strange because when I first plugged the drive in, the HDD light came on and was solid. But when I formatted the drive, the space was only ~2.7GB, so I thought something was wrong, and I did a factory reset. After that, the HDD light has never come on, and the "disk not found" error persists.

Thank you guys. :)

For what it's worth, I purchased a Bytecc SATA/IDE to USB adapter, BT-350, and it has blown every drive I've connected to it.

Bump. I got a Hitachi DeskStar from my neighbor and tried it. It didn't work either. I think that the unit is defective. I'll see that Bytecc has to say about it, and return it after that.

For what it's worth, I purchased a Bytecc SATA/IDE to USB adapter, BT-350, and it has blown every drive I've connected to it.

I have Vantec's version of that same thing, and it does the same thing to every IDE drive that I've plugged in so far. Haven't even tried SATA, not that I particularly want to after what it's done.

Make sure that the jumper setting on IDE harddrives is set to Master and *NOT* Slave or Cable Select (CS). Those USB adapters in my experience will NOT see the drive if the jumper is set to Slave or CS.

Back