Bytecc external USB drive broke

jblue42

Limp Gawd
The USB connection on the case broke, is there any way I can fix it? Or am I sol? Its the Female USB connector has 4 prongs inside it, and 1 snapped off.

If I can't fix it, where is a good place to buy an exernal USB 2.0 case for my 250GB IDE hard drive? $40 or less... Thanks [H]

In my experience with external HDD's if their small, then their laptop disks, in which case its a matter of opening the case up, taking out the HDD, getting a laptop-ide converter and then copying the data.

as to the actual thing missing off the circut board.. well i dont think theirs anything you can do, short of getting it solderd back on.
And given that its all machine soldered these days you'd be REALLY lucky to do that.

hum aside from that, i would advise perhaps seeing if you can find one thats broken, say at a local store or on ebay, ie one thats had the HDD go, and then use the case from it, since it would most likely have the same "laptop" connector circut board inside it, which is the bit thats gone on yours :)

edit:
sorry kinda late here and i missed the last line.
But the same info applies, try looking on ebay, the thing is really just a special interface nothing more, you should be able to find one there for cheep, and given that its solid state (no moving parts) you shouldnt have to worry about buying second hand, well aside from perhaps it being USB 1 or 1.1 but you can check with the seller :)

Back