Bye Bye Superfetch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwarps

Supreme [H]ardness
Vista is *so* much better behaved after turning off Superfetch. No more disk grinding for 20 minutes after boot whenever you put new files on the hard drive.. No more totally frozen system while it reads the same giant file over and over and over again (AVIs especially and ISOs too).

So no more indexing and superfetch.. And the system is actually usable now. It feels like a shiny XP.

Now I will admit that when Superfetch wasn't f*cking itself with a stick, it was actually doing its job, quite well at that. When Microsoft can figure out how to not make it cache 1.4GB AVIs, maybe I'll turn it back on.

("just let it do its job" ??? Hell f*ck no, the computer is totally unusable.)

Where was that 1.4GB .avi ? Because some folders (for example Documents) are automatically loaded by superfetch.

There has to be a downside/catch to turning that off entirely...

I doubt superfetch was cacheing in 1.4gb movies. And after a monthish it will stop grinding away all the time. AND you aren't supposed to shutdown Vista. Just hibernate.

Vista is *so* much better behaved after turning off Superfetch. No more disk grinding for 20 minutes after boot whenever you put new files on the hard drive.. No more totally frozen system while it reads the same giant file over and over and over again (AVIs especially and ISOs too).

So no more indexing and superfetch.. And the system is actually usable now. It feels like a shiny XP.

Now I will admit that when Superfetch wasn't f*cking itself with a stick, it was actually doing its job, quite well at that. When Microsoft can figure out how to not make it cache 1.4GB AVIs, maybe I'll turn it back on.

("just let it do its job" ??? Hell f*ck no, the computer is totally unusable.)

I giggled like a like a little girl...

Seriously though, I've seen the same thing with my Vista box, where it just fucking grinds away when I'm not using it. I'll give disabling Superfetch a try :)

My only beef with Superfetch is that the end user has no control besides On/Off. I don't see what's so hard about giving me an option to specifically request a particular file to be cached.

Right now the only way to make sure a programme is cached is to open it at least once during system start up.

I giggled like a like a little girl...

Seriously though, I've seen the same thing with my Vista box, where it just fucking grinds away when I'm not using it. I'll give disabling Superfetch a try :)

Might be defragging. Its going to be using your HD a ton during the first monthish after a format.

Does Superfetch cache files, like a video, or just the programs that would open/run the files? Or both? I thought it just cached frequently used programs, and not frequently opened files.

Where was that 1.4GB .avi ? Because some folders (for example Documents) are automatically loaded by superfetch.

It was in documents. Not that it matters anymore :D

Vashypooh said:
I doubt superfetch was cacheing in 1.4gb movies. And after a monthish it will stop grinding away all the time. AND you aren't supposed to shutdown Vista. Just hibernate.

Doubt it all you want, I could care less. I know what the system was doing, and watched it do it more than ten times. The superfetch pid read the samefile for a good 5 minutes upon boot per the resource monitor (which is a cool tool). I posted another thread about this inanity about a week ago documenting which services were on the pid. The only one I stopped today was superfetch.. and hark! the unusable system suddenly became usable!

So you install a new OS and you're supposed to "just deal with" the computer not working for shit for half an hour after boot for the first month.. Brilliant. :rolleyes:

Not supposed to shut it down? What sort of stupid is that? Microsoft's way making their broken crap somehow work? That would prevent the moronic supercaching of my avi's, I suppose.

superfetch should be disabled by default or entirely removed, it has no use to whoever for whatever under whichever condition wherever, first thing to do after vista install is head to control panel - services and whop the arse.

superfetch should be disabled by default or entirely removed, it has no use to whoever for whatever under whichever condition wherever, first thing to do after vista install is head to control panel - services and whop the arse.

After dealing with this bullshit for 2 weeks, I completely agree. I'll put up with it taking an extra 2 seconds for photoshop to load, or any other app for that matter... given the opportunity to actually use the f*cking computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back