Bye bye hard drives

afong

Limp Gawd
There's no hard drive section, so I figure this is general :)

So here I am, re-routing the wires in my case to improve the airflow (with the computer turned on, oops), when suddenly, *zap!*. I have one of those 3-to-4 pin adapters 7V modded plugged into my delta fan, so the 3-pin header is bare.

It never occured to me until I heard the *zap!* that that header is infact a live header, just sitting there, waiting to zap something.

So, I happened to have my 2 hard drives plugged onto the same set of power plugs, and I reckon I managed to short out the disc controllers on the drives, because now my BIOS doesn't detect them or anything. It's as if they don't exist.

So, I figured I'd ask, is there any way to fix this? Or am I faced with either 2 dead drives, or a huge bill from some guy who will try to recover the data?

Thanks.

1. There is an Hard Drive section called Storage

2. Was your PC off at the time? There shouldn't be any power running through your PC if the power supply is not active. What kind of PS are you running.

3. Check your drives with another system first. Manually input the information in to it. Reset your BIOS (clear the CMOS). See of the drive 'spin' up.

Coo'?

Cheers,

SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME once and yes the drive was completely dead, there are hard drive recovery places but its not worth it unless you have the TPS report on it or something....lol

(I just took my hard drive back to BB and said it went pop and wont work anymore, then got a new one):D

You can swap out the controllers from a working drive. Sometimes the controllers are cross compatible between different sizes, but not families. Otherwise data recovery or lost data.

Ah, I missed the storage forum. I've never been here. Sorry. Yes the computer was on, as stated in the original thread. I'm running an Antec PSU.

I put it into another computer as the slave, and the BIOS didn't detect it. Not sure how to manually put it's information in.

Both drives are gone, otherwise I'd try swapping the controller out. (they were both pretty similar, maybe similar enough to work) Anybody got a 17GB 5400 rpm fujitsu drive they'd ship me for a weekend? I swear I'll put it back together :)

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING WORKING IN YOUR CASE WITH THE POWER ON!? (Okay, now that I got that out)

Anyway, try and contact fujitsu and see if you can get some new controllers.

And what do you mean the drives are "gone"?

2. Was your PC off at the time? There shouldn't be any power running through your PC if the power supply is not active. What kind of PS are you running.
theres always power running through the psu even if its not active.... thats what lights up the little led on the motherboard

Always unplug the PSU from the wall before working on a machine. There didn't used to be LEDs on boards to show there's still juice, and it bit many a wannabe tech who didn't realize that machines stay lit waiting for certain events even when `off`. How else do you think they can boot on lan signal, boot on keyboard combo, WOL, etc.?

But ground the case if you do unplug the PSU from the socket

swapping out circuit boards on HDDs can work, several members have had success, while others have been stonewalled by the manufacturers or failed to do the research necessary to make it work

not all sub-models within a model line will be compatible
for instance
WD400BB-00DEA0
WD400BB-00CAA0

may or maynot work
its best to contact the manufacturer, some are far more helpful than other, one member was back up and running within a few days, after getting a list from Maxtor
another was stonewalled by Western Digital and declined to buy HDDs in game of Russian Roulette with tyhe "possibility" that he might get one that worked

all curcuit boards contain the locked out bad sectors of the drive they came from, and not the bad sectors on the drive they are being installed to. so after the switch they will need to update those, and of course those already locked out might contain data
your unable to access, but there are lots of sectors on a modern HDD, the vast majority will be available if the swap works

Originally posted by Ice Czar
... all curcuit boards contain the locked out bad sectors of the drive they came from, and not the bad sectors on the drive they are being installed to. so after the switch they will need to update those, and of course those already locked out might contain data
your unable to access, but there are lots of sectors on a modern HDD, the vast majority will be available if the swap works

I know that if you do a Low Level Format these sectors are remapped but is there a way to remap/rescan the entire HDD without formating it? If that is possible you shouldnt loose any data at all.

you cant do a true low level format outside of the factory these days period

all of the zero utilities that people call "low level formats" are no such thing
and any software that would allow you to rewrite the drive architecture will kill the HDD faster than a hammer

True Low Level Formatting
Fake Low Level Formatting
Defect Mapping and Spare Sectors

the days of user low level formatting (true) are long gone
the architecture is massively different, and the distribution of the servo bursts (replacing the wedges) is very wide spread throughout the platter, the calibration for the heads these days with the increased areal density and spindle speeds, just make it impossible to do outside of an extreamely controlled environment and with precision equipment

Back