Bye-Bye $60 games?

Chalk another one up for waiting till the prices drop.

I have no problem forking $50 over for a Wii game, but when it comes to Xbox 360 I can't see shelling $60 for a game. I've been waiting until the 360 titles I want drop down in price dramatically. I buy most of my 360 games used though; its much easier on the wallet and I've found pretty much every game I wanted for under $40.
 
Chalk another one up for waiting till the prices drop.

I have no problem forking $50 over for a Wii game, but when it comes to Xbox 360 I can't see shelling $60 for a game. I've been waiting until the 360 titles I want drop down in price dramatically. I buy most of my 360 games used though; its much easier on the wallet and I've found pretty much every game I wanted for under $40.

what wii games are worth 50 bucks? I've yet to see one :)
 
I wait on some titles to lower in price but some I have to have first day purchase. Amazon has had a lot of good deals lately but I wonder how many good ones they will have now that the holiday season is over?
 
The market decides what price the games are to be (the pub have a RRP)
IF the market can support $60/£60 then that is what they will retail at

When ppl stop buying cause they don't have that much to spare the price will drop to keep the £££/$$$ moving
 
Sorry I've become even more cheap lately.... I refuse to pay 60 bucks for a game... I'll wait, find a coupon watch amazon like a hawk but I'm maximizing my gaming dollars... especially after this excellent sale season from Amazon and other retailers.... plus the rate they release these games me and my wallet can hardly keep up!!!! I am going to try something Novel... Play the games I own and have less sealed games.... I'll let these game depreciate in value on retailers shelves instead of mine....
 
I'll sometimes pay 60 for a game I really want to play. Can't hold the patience for too long. Especially for games coming out in 2009.
 
The only games I have bought for that price in the last two years are Halo 3 and GoW2.

I hesitated when I bought them too.

I think it hurts the industry because since I know I am not buying them at launch, then there is no rush and usually I have been buying them used a year down the line.
 
Source

I was having this very talk with a friend yesterday. He said it's not fair when you pay $60 for a game like Grand Theft Auto IV or MGS 4, then go pay $60 for A game like GoW or Dead Space that's 10 hours long. Plus you keep in mind other games that are even shorter. Developers use the "It has online-capability" line, to claim the game has value. What about gamers who don't like playing online? Anyways, online is just a side effect of the main game. If you design it with multi-player in mind from the begining, your not putting in 'extra work' for the multi-player that in anyway makes up for the work GTA or MG or FF developers put in. So why the same price?

You can't tell me <insert random 10 hour game here> took as much to develop as Grand Theft Auto IV, so why does it cost the same? If the company says they can't afford it, to bad, then they don't have the right to charge $60 like those who do spend the money.

Yes many 10 hour long games cost even more to develop. Newer game engines with features up the wazoo take years (ie time (ie money)) to develop. Some of these games meet time crunches and must get out the door or meet space requirements (or both).

Developers/Publishers have the right to charge you whatever the hell they want as well. You as a consumer have the right to not buy it.
 
The only games I have bought for that price in the last two years are Halo 3 and GoW2.

I hesitated when I bought them too.

I think it hurts the industry because since I know I am not buying them at launch, then there is no rush and usually I have been buying them used a year down the line.

Well the 2nd hand market will be toast within a few years if publishers have anything to say about it. You cannot go and buy used PC games and trust me, console games are next. Publishers are losing too much money to the used market, they have plans to kill with things like digital downloads and leaving the last 3rd to the game as 'must download' features, 'free' if you have the original copy only.

Think of it as CD keys for consoles, accept real content missing unless you have the key. This is all coming, and likely by next generation.
 
I use this :) But sadly these services will be gone within a few years. Read my last post.

A few years doesn't matter. There won't be anything to play as we are all going to die from cow farts.

Really though, gaming is, along with everything else, in a lot of trouble. Pirating will become even more acute and more companies will fold in the next few years.

The only good thing we can possibly hope for is EA killing itself. I have spent the whole morning thinking about how few new games in the last couple of years have had any replayability for me. Must be getting old lol.
 
im thinking about getting Valkyria Chronicles for my ps3 ... but when i found out its 69$ here in canada i was shocked!

70$+ tax is like 80$ total.

i cant justify paying that for one game , even if its the best goddamn game in the world.
 
My biggest beef with paying $60 for a game (or any day-of-release price) is it seems every game that comes out these days is horribly broken and requires day zero patches just to make them playable, and then huge patches to fix them.

Just recently, look at Gears of War 2. Broken as all hell, and I'm not talking about the multiplayer. The voodoo I had to work just to load my save game was a pain in the ass.

More telling, is Castle Crashers. I bought this game when it was hyped to holy hell, and it took them months to patch the game to stop it deleting people's accounts and not letting people play multiplayer. I still haven't played the game online, because by the time they got around to patching it, I didn't care anymore. They continued to sell it at the same price even when half the game simply did not work.

I will never buy another game unless I wait at least a week to see what sort of state they are in.
 
Well the 2nd hand market will be toast within a few years if publishers have anything to say about it. You cannot go and buy used PC games and trust me, console games are next. Publishers are losing too much money to the used market, they have plans to kill with things like digital downloads and leaving the last 3rd to the game as 'must download' features, 'free' if you have the original copy only.

Think of it as CD keys for consoles, accept real content missing unless you have the key. This is all coming, and likely by next generation.

You have to be fucking kidding me...they don't care about the used market, someone has to buy it for it be second hand...for crying out loud..if it sucks, its not going to sell and its sure as hell not going to sell second hand if it sucks...

The PC market and Console market for games are totally different...most because its a pain in the ass to pirate Console games vs PC Games. There are more copy protection features built into consoles due to their closed nature vs PCs
 
You have to be fucking kidding me...they don't care about the used market, someone has to buy it for it be second hand...for crying out loud..if it sucks, its not going to sell and its sure as hell not going to sell second hand if it sucks...

The PC market and Console market for games are totally different...most because its a pain in the ass to pirate Console games vs PC Games. There are more copy protection features built into consoles due to their closed nature vs PCs

Your logic on the used game market couldn't be more wrong.
 
they don't care about the used market, someone has to buy it for it be second hand...for crying out loud..if it sucks, its not going to sell and its sure as hell not going to sell second hand if it sucks...
Yeah, but what if it doesn't suck? The game sells two million copies and then sells another six million times in the secondary market. If you were a publisher, wouldn't you want to try to capture that other 100%-200% in revenues that the secondary market was providing?

There was a rumor going around in mid-2006 that PS3 games would be locked to a single PS3 console, based upon a patent that Sony had received IIRC.

Anyways, I do think that attempts to limit the secondary market without price drops are going to backfire - if some of the perceived value in a game is its resale value, well, you're going to really kill perceived value (and thus, sales at higher price points) if you remove the resale value. Maybe the publishers have done the math to make it work, but meh... I doubt it.
 
gamefly and blockbuster ftw

+1

It's the only way I get my games anymore. I get all the new releases, a discount if I decide to keep them, and a hell of a lot more value out of my $24.99 a month than paying retail for all of my games.

I picked up and played GoW2, Fable 2, Fallout 3, and Prince of Persia for my 360 no problem. If the game is worth keeping, I buy it (GoW2, Fallout 3) at a discount :D.
 
what wii games are worth 50 bucks? I've yet to see one :)

There are maybe...4? Smash Brothers, Mario Kart, Zelda, and No More Heroes.
Resident Evil 4 would be worth $50 if you'd never played it, although it was only $30 at release.
 
in my opinion games are soooooooo over priced it isnt even funny. maybe if software wasnt so expenbsive maybe people wouldnt rip everything from the pirate bay
 
in my opinion games are soooooooo over priced it isnt even funny. maybe if software wasnt so expenbsive maybe people wouldnt rip everything from the pirate bay

Haha, I think they would still rip it anyways, just to save money and time. Heck I wish every console game was on PC. hehe, just kidding. It's just that PC is by far the superior one between the two "Next-Gen" consoles. Well, it all depends on what specs you got.;)
 
in my opinion games are soooooooo over priced it isnt even funny. maybe if software wasnt so expenbsive maybe people wouldnt rip everything from the pirate bay

And what do you base that on, since games are at historic low prices?
 
And what do you base that on, since games are at historic low prices?

um....what? Games aren't as expensive as some n64 cartridges were years ago, but I can remember when most games were $39.99, dating back to nintendo on up to the ps1.
 
Back
Top