• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

buying used or retail

OldDeadOne

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 10, 2001
Messages
1,139
Is it better to buy a intel cpu new retailed or getting one used? I'm sure I'm going to save some money if I bought one used,just wonder if there's any negatives(like warranty,life expectancy if the cpu's been overclocked,etc)? I will be building a new system next month and was wondering this,since this will be probably the most important part of my system I will be getting(just needing cpu,drives and keyboard/mouse)
 
I've bought quite a few used with no problems. I don't know if Intel or AMD's warranty is tied to the first owner or not, but I've never (in 20 years of computing) had to return a processor, so I'd say that's kind of a non-issue anyway.
 
Like everything, it depends on the source. I've certainly been hosed on used computer parts, but for the most part have had good success. If you really wanted to make sure, ask questions. The reason not to necessarily eliminate a bad processor, but if you get good answers it's more likely you'll get a legit part.

What kind of system was it used in... Server, Workstation, Gaming Rig?
Overclocked?
What kind of environment? Humid, hot, exec

Just my 2-cents.
 
Back
Top