Buying used 980Ti vs 1070 vs used R9 Fury vs waiting

Reimu

[H]ard|Gawd
I don't know what I ought to do.
I don't have a video card right now, and this void is eating me away.
I need a card to drive my 3440x1440 Dell monitor to about 60-75Hz (no freesync, monitor can oc to 80Hz)

Doom with Vulkan API's results have shown that GCN may have potential in asyc compute.
However, GTX 1070 and 1080 are undeniable in their performance in DX11.

Crossfire a pair of 480 doesn't work with Vulkan right now, and 1060 will have no SLI.

I have no idea how to best spend my money right now, at a time when these new cards are limited in supply. What should I do?

It's a gap year, whatever you buy is only a holdover until Vega or GP102.

My advice is spend only what you to.

Every year is a gap year if you look at it like that. Once Vega launches, that is just another gap until whatever is rumored to come after that...

Though spending what people can afford is always good advice. No PC purchase should be made outside of ones means with the expectation that the hardware will last.

Every year is a gap year if you look at it like that. Once Vega launches, that is just another gap until whatever is rumored to come after that...

Though spending what people can afford is always good advice. No PC purchase should be made outside of ones means with the expectation that the hardware will last.

Hehe. I am caught in a bind because I originally have no intention of doing anything quite so soon. I hitched a ride on the 7970 since 2012 and it took me all the way till now.

You know, the thought of just buying a 280x and wait it out has been on the back of my mind, yet I am hesitate since Bitcorn farmers are starting to dump their overtaxed 280x onto the market.

The other thing is that a GTX 1080 is a bit wasted for this ultrawide of mine. I do think 1070 like card is the sweet spot, but the price gouging for this card right now is making me wince.

I don't know what I ought to do.
I don't have a video card right now, and this void is eating me away.
I need a card to drive my 3440x1440 Dell monitor to about 60-75Hz (no freesync, monitor can oc to 80Hz)

Doom with Vulkan API's results have shown that GCN may have potential in asyc compute.
However, GTX 1070 and 1080 are undeniable in their performance in DX11.

Crossfire a pair of 480 doesn't work with Vulkan right now, and 1060 will have no SLI.

I have no idea how to best spend my money right now, at a time when these new cards are limited in supply. What should I do?

Here's my stand on the whole AMD vs. NV thing WRG DX12/Vulkan.

We know that as time goes on, a larger percentage of games will use DX12/Vulkan. We also know that when you compare a Maxwell/Pascal card to a GCN card of similar pedigree, AMD wins with the newer APIs. So, comparing a 1070/980ti to a Fury X should net you the following - Fury X is more future proof (minus VRAM), and 1070/980ti is better for the present.

But then we also see games that go off the absolute value of VRAM. You can't enable nightmare textures in Doom on a Fury X. It won't allow you due to detecting only 4GB of VRAM. So much for future proof.

So between those three, as a partial AMD fanboy, my recommendation is the GTX 1070. It's current generation, the most VRAM of the group, and a great all-around performance in DX11/OGL/DX12/Vulkan.

Well I bought a 1070 for $429 in my sig for my 3440x1440 Dell monitor and it is just as about as perfect a fit you can get. Went from a 290x/290 CFX configuration which seemed to get worst and worst for game support, making single 290x just too limiting at times. plus OpenGL performance . . . Anyways since Vega seems to be 5-6 months out, my rig probably would not support Vega well if a higher performer than the 1070. It was just better for me to get the 1070. The FuryX only seems to match the 1070 when using the new APIs and is behind when not. So I just didn't see any benefit going the FuryX route plus 4gb can be limiting. So for that rig and time frame I am happy with the purchase.

Now if Nano 2 (Vega) comes out and it is smoking hot like the Nano was when released - That will probably be my next video card for my other rig. Main rig will be replaced probably with Zen if good - then either a Titan(?), 1080Ti or Fury(Vega).

Last edited:
Here's my stand on the whole AMD vs. NV thing WRG DX12/Vulkan.

We know that as time goes on, a larger percentage of games will use DX12/Vulkan. We also know that when you compare a Maxwell/Pascal card to a GCN card of similar pedigree, AMD wins with the newer APIs. So, comparing a 1070/980ti to a Fury X should net you the following - Fury X is more future proof (minus VRAM), and 1070/980ti is better for the present.

But then we also see games that go off the absolute value of VRAM. You can't enable nightmare textures in Doom on a Fury X. It won't allow you due to detecting only 4GB of VRAM. So much for future proof.

So between those three, as a partial AMD fanboy, my recommendation is the GTX 1070. It's current generation, the most VRAM of the group, and a great all-around performance in DX11/OGL/DX12/Vulkan.

My own observations about Nvidia is that they are stellar when new, but they age horribly fast when compared to the new gen. 970 right now may be less appetizing than a 280x or 290x, which I find kind of ironic.
We all know that AMD has no true analogue to the 1070 at the moment at that. This is frustrating.

Well I bought a 1070 for $429 in my sig for my 3440x1440 Dell monitor and it is just as about as perfect as a fit you can get. Went from a 290x/290 CFX configuration which seemed to get worst and worst for game support, making single 290x just too limiting at times. plus OpenGL performance . . . Anyways since Vega seems to be 5-6 months out, my rig probably would not support Vega well if a higher performer than the 1070. It was just better for me to get the 1070. The FuryX only seems to match the 1070 when using the new APIs and is behind when not. So I just didn't see any benefit going the FuryX route plus 4gb can be limiting. So for that rig and time frame I am happy with the purchase.

Now if Nano 2 (Vega) comes out and it is smoking hot like the Nano was when released - That will probably be my next video card for my other rig. Main rig will be replaced probably with Zen if good - then either a Titan(?), 1080Ti or Fury(Vega).
I totally agree. That's one of the things that made me conclude that CFX/SLI is no way to go. 1070's only real problem right now is just the price gouging.
This is partly why I ended up thinking that I may want to think about a used 980Ti.

Well if you can get a good deal on a used 980Ti then that will probably be pretty good. I got an overclocked 1070 for $429 Gigabyte - you can get non-OC ones for less then $390. You might have to time it right though but Nvidia are actually producing these at a good rate it turned out just that they are indeed being bought very fast.

Well if you can get a good deal on a used 980Ti then that will probably be pretty good. I got an overclocked 1070 for $429 Gigabyte - you can get non-OC ones for less then $390. You might have to time it right though but Nvidia are actually producing these at a good rate it turned out just that they are indeed being bought very fast.

The situation up here in Canuckistan is that most if not all of them is at founder price of 500 bucks over old NCIX. It's quite a turnoff. I am not sure how long it normally takes for the price to stabilize to MSRP level. i can only hedge that it all depends on an ample supply of aftermarket 1070 to be in stock and available in volume.

The situation up here in Canuckistan is that most if not all of them is at founder price of 500 bucks over old NCIX. It's quite a turnoff. I am not sure how long it normally takes for the price to stabilize to MSRP level. i can only hedge that it all depends on an ample supply of aftermarket 1070 to be in stock and available in volume.

Can't you order from the US? Amazon.com ships to most of Europe, I'd be surprised if it doesn't ship to Canada.

Let me know if you are intrested in a used ref blower 290 card. I am mulling a 1060 purchase. PM me if your intrested.

Back