Buying TV Online: Good, Bad, or Ugly?

Suprnova04

Limp Gawd
I'm looking into purchasing an LCD TV somewhere down the line.. and I'm wondering, is buying online a bad idea (specifically sites like newegg)?

Also, are refurbs and open box deals too risky? Might end up with dead pixels or something?

Thanks for any thoughts on this :)
-Dan-

I know people that do purchase online for those things. I, myself never will. I want to have a hands on with both Monitors and Televisions. Too risky purchasing online for those 2 items in my opinion.

As long as you are ok with their return policies, you shouldn't have a problem.

I bought one TV from newegg without incident. The other TV I bought online was from bestbuy, and I haven't had any issues with that one, either.

I can only speak to my own experiences...

1) Newegg has a terrible dead/stuck pixel policy. I would definitely look at it and see if you can tolerate it before you make a purchase from them.

2) Amazon has a decent returns policy and great delivery services. Just need to make sure it's "Sold by Amazon" rather than a marketplace partner. With marketplace partners, you are subject to their returns/exchange policies and not Amazons.

3) TigerDirect has a good return policy but mediocre delivery services. I've had TD (and never any others) "forget" to approve negative item reviews on their site. Most of us here don't go by those reviews anyway, but I hate the shadiness of failing to post a review which isn't all sweetness and light about a product.

4) My next television purchase will be from a B&M store. Sure, I might save tax and a $100 or so by shopping online... but I'd rather have someone to speak to directly if I have issues.

I have no issues buying these items online. Even if you get a stuck pixel look at the manufacture guarantee. My brother in law had 1 stuck pixel develop months after on a Samsung and the sent a tech out to replace the screen for it at no cost.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Bought my 40" HDTV through Amazon and it was professionally delivered in mint condition just when they said it would be.

Overall, was very happy with the whole transaction (and the sales tax I saved).

I have issues buying small electronics online let a lone an LCD.
I like to go to a store and just pick up the video card I want for example. If there are any issues, a 10 minute trip to Canada Computers and they refund it within 14 days or replace withing 30 days. No need to wait for shipping and such.

That is just me.

Buying online or in store is fine as long as you are ok with potentially dealing with the associated risks/inconveniences of both.

Buying an open box TV on newegg? Maybe amazon but not newegg, newegg's return policies have gone into the shitter lately.

You can get online prices in brick and mortar stores, but you have to constantly monitor prices on deal websites like slickdeals and other places, sometimes a coupon will get you that low price, and other times you can order online and use the "pick up in store" option which is the best of both worlds. Personally i like the idea of being able to pack up a defective TV into a car or truck and returning or exchanging it immediately (within that 30 day window), instant gratification. But i am not against purchasing a TV online and having it delivered either, especially if it's from a great retailer like amazon.

Open box Newegg is hit or miss, and they have a disclaimer saying accessories may or may not be included, so if you want a remote or power cable or manual, good luck.

I've bought two "used/open box" TVs through Amazon's Warehouse Deals site. They were both delivered with a "white glove" service. Delivery guys came in and set up the TV. First one had problems coming on, and started cycling right away, so they told me to refuse delivery, they boxed it up, left, and I was on the phone with Amazon getting a refund right then and there. Sucked to be out a TV, but it would have been worse to have to box it up myself and drive it somewhere (and Amazon offered me a credit for my troubles when I complained about it). Second one arrived just fine, and I've been happy with it. I also bought the $40 2 year squaretrade extended warranty. Since this was a possibly used or open box item, with only a 90 day warranty, and it was $700+, I figured an extra $40 for a 2 year warranty was decent (normally I avoid extended warranties and such).

I am budget minded, and a "value"/deal shopper. This was my main incentive for shopping online. I felt like I got a really good deal on the set, and I don't think anywhere locally (Best Buy/Walmart, etc) would have come close. If you are in a state with a Fry's, they often have good deals, so I'd consider shopping with them. To me, it was worth saving ~$500 on the set. Plus, it would be really hard to fit a 46" in a box in the back of a 90s Honda Prelude. The TV works great, doesn't have any screen or pixel issues that I've noticed.

2 years ago I got a refurbished Dell 30" monitor online from Dell. That was like new, no complaints there. Again, don't think I could have got any where close pricewise shopping B&M locally. I guess it is always a gamble, but if you are cheap like me (or deal savvy or whatever), then your best bet is rolling the dice :)

I would never buy a TV online. Not unless I have seen the TVs picture and messed with the it at a store or somewhere. Why spend $ on something you have never seen. Especially for a good amount of money.

Buying a TV online 2 years ago was a dicey proposition, but that was because of the tech being relatively new and so many manufacturers, including Toshiba and Sony, having so many quality control issues.

Now, that's not so much of a problem, but only buy new from a trusted source, except when it's a brand name and says "Factory Refurbished," but then still only from a trusted source. For refurbed models, I heartily recommend a third-part warranty...but look for the best discount on the warranty as well. Also for refurbs, don't buy a TV from 2 years or more ago, because of the afore-mentioned quality problems.

Never eBay. Ever. You don't know what you're really getting, and eBay usually isn't a good deal for these items anyway. You don't want someone else's headache, and there's no guarantee that a "factory refurb" is really a factory refurb. Of course...if you do...get the third-party warranty.

Avoid Open Box and Recertified units. Usually those either aren't tested or only briefly tested to see if they power on.

As far as picture quality goes...well...once you find a deal online, find a store in your area that sells it (or similar model from same manufacturer) and go look at the picture. When you're there, look at others as well, and jot down the manufacturer and model number of those you like. Then go back and look for those, even if you're satisfied with the one you went to see. You might find a better deal on one.

Check CNET for reviews too, paying particular attention to customer rating, but weigh them against CNET's raating. I always look for something highly-rated by both. Repair records are important too; Consumer Reports and other sites have them, so look for a manufacturer that's among the least # of % returns/repairs.

It's a long process, but you should always do your homework so that you can rest assured that you're getting the best price for what you want.

Watch out for exorbitant shipping fees! Often, for only a few dollars more, you can get a new television with free shipping for only a few dollars more than a used with shipping...especially if you wait patiently for specials (even in-store with tax...and the best in-store specials are usually not advertised.) Often B&M stores will price match online prices, but you have to see the manager; don't take the salesperson's word, because they don't know for sure. A store will often break even, or even lose a little, in order to move the merchandise and list it in their sales, as opposed to waiting to move it in a clearance or return it to the parent company. When that happens, someone else ends up buying them in bulk and then resells them for a lower profit.

For brands...well, I prefer Vizio for value, and while they're not the deal they were two years ago, they still strongly compete with Sony, Samsung, and others for quality, and almost always cost less for what you get. (Vizio wasn't part of the price-fixing cartel bust from a few years ago.)

Last edited:
I think being able to go into a store and touch and see the TV is way overrated. You're never going to get good calibration settings in the store because of all the fluorescent lighting and half the time the content going into the TV is crap. Its nearly impossible to do any meaningful side-by-side in the store. Just pick a well reviewed set and go with it. Check AVSforum for calibration settings, since half the time those come from guys who know a lot more about TV's and calibration than you do. The only issue is shipping, though apparently Amazon's is good. I'd be more worries about plasma sets being shipped than LCD's since they're a lot heavier and have more fragile internals.

the only real reason to go into the store to look at a TV is to get a better feel for the physical size or shape. looking at anything else is a waste of time.

the only real reason to go into the store to look at a TV is to get a better feel for the physical size or shape. looking at anything else is a waste of time.

I definitely agree with this. My usually mantra when buying a TV is if I spend a lot of time in the brick and mortar store because how it looked or was size was important, I will buy there. I mean, they did provide me a service. Otherwise...I go online.

I bought my Pioneer KRP-500M plasma online from Vann's a year ago. Saved a bunch of money, great service, great delivery. I paid $2000 for a TV that lists for over $4000, and is arguably one of the 2 or 3 best TV's made. You can definitely get more for your money buying online, just do your research before you buy.

I would add that the brand of TV is just as important as who to buy from. I bought a Sony Bravia (open box) from a discount vendor. I ended up giving it to my cousin as a gift. (he helped me big time when I was struggling financially) Anyway, there was a problem w/ the set after about 3 months. Sony's authorized repair center came out to service the set (it was just after the open box warranty). It took them a few times, couldn't repair it all the way but ended up giving him a BRAND NEW TV.
Sony delivered more than expected on this one (no I don't work for them)

I bought a 58" plasma from Newegg 2 years ago. It arrived just fine and it's been great ever since. Saved me hundreds plus the savings from tax on a 3000 dollar tv.

A little patience can save some serious cash.

Got mine from Newegg. It's a refurbished Olevia 37" LT37HVE. It was less than half price. Bought it years ago now and it has been great. No dead pixels or anything. Do your homework on what your buying.

I purchased my 50" Panasonic plasma from Newegg with not a hint of problems. Save a few hundred dollars off the local price not including sales tax. Add in free shipping to boot and I couldn't go wrong. I will say though I would not buy online on an impulse buy, I checked out a lot of different models at the local stores before making my decision to buy.

Well I'm putting my money where my mouth is and ordered a TV online this weeked (LG 47le5400). All the retail stores are running the same promotions (get free BD570 player with certain TV's) but Amazon had it for $1044 vs $1200 @ BB or $1300 @ pc richards. I'll let the OP know if there are any problems

I've bought all my TV's online for the past 5 years (DLP's, Plasma, LCD's..) Never had a problem with any of my purchases. If you go with a reputable online vendor you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Back