Buying Toca3 worried about Starforce

neokeelo

[H]ard|Gawd
As the title says, I am worried I am not going to be able to have some programs like Daemon Tools installed while I have Toca 3 installed.

Is that really the only major thing that starforce keeps you from doing. ( running virital drives) Also when I do take it off will starforce be completely gone from my system then?

You must go well out of your way to uninstall starforce. As far as interference, you might have it and you might not, but I'd hazard to guess your chances are much much higher of having problems if you use virtual drives on a regular basis.

Actually, that's the main reason I've avoided it as I have all of my actual CD's imaged so I can keep them safe and not have to reach to install things. Like to keep movement to a minimum, naturally.

Bottom line, if the game is real important to you give it a shot. Make ABSOLUTELY certain your system is to a point (backups, gathering all your install cd's up) that it won't be disasterous if you have to reformat because your drives get jacked up. Regardless of whether or not you have problems, there is no denying that starforce is little more than malware, and maybe half a step higher on the moral food chain than bonzai buddy and the gator, and supporting any program using it as a protection scheme is only encouraging the bastards.

Buy a small, cheap harddrive, load Windows and the drivers you need to play, install the game and have fun. Keep it isolated if you are that worried about it. I recently played Syberia 2 (starforce game) and am still able to use Daemon and Alcohol 120.

When I installed TrackMania Nations on both my systems (desktop and laptop) I had Daemon-Tools running and had no problems whatsoever on either machine.

Daemon Tools and Alcohol120 run fine for me...I got BF2 running on a Daemon for me.

The effects of StarForce are vastly exaggerated. It may not be morally right (which is a different issue) but more than likely nothing is going to happen to your system if you have StarForce on it. A few people out of probably millions have had their systems crash (some of which are pretty suspicious and might not even be StarForce related) started crying about it and caused a whole lot of people to get worried for no good reason.

gchanjam said:
The effects of StarForce are vastly exaggerated. It may not be morally right (which is a different issue) but more than likely nothing is going to happen to your system if you have StarForce on it. A few people out of probably millions have had their systems crash (some of which are pretty suspicious and might not even be StarForce related) started crying about it and caused a whole lot of people to get worried for no good reason.

It also got this malware booted from Ubisoft with other companies following..Hopefully this trend continues and SF goes the way of the dino. :p

neokeelo said:
I guess I will go ahead and order it. I hope nothing messes up.

Ignore the anti-Starforce crowd. Only people i have ever known to have issues with it are people who pirate starforce equipped games and do the hacky things required to bypass it. Not saying something bad cant happen, but i know no one personally IRL to have an issue with it.

I have TOCA3 and it is well worth any "horrid" copy protection you have to deal with. I also have X3:reunion and Trackmanias which use Starforce. I have NEVER had an issue with Starforce. Have at it.

4saken said:
Ignore the anti-Starforce crowd. Only people i have ever known to have issues with it are people who pirate starforce equipped games and do the hacky things required to bypass it. Not saying something bad cant happen, but i know no one personally IRL to have an issue with it.

I have TOCA3 and it is well worth any "horrid" copy protection you have to deal with. I also have X3:reunion and Trackmanias which use Starforce. I have NEVER had an issue with Starforce. Have at it.

And i heard Fords even the ones that burn themselves up are 100% reliable and safe! :rolleyes: Random link i found. Clickity Click f00!

I have installed many StarForce games without any problems, don't worry about it. The problem is greatly overexadurated. Would game companies really release more than one game with it if so many of their customers complained? The only reason it's being removed is because people are hating it for no good reason, and boycotting the games when it didn't even affect their system, just out of prinicipal that it affected a dozen of them. This is forcing companies to not use it, even if it is an effective means of controlling piracy, and it is completely harmless to nearly every system.

I only have 2 games with Starforce installed (Space Rangers 1 & 2). The only problem I have had is that my WMP10 won't burn discs anymore. Small inconvienience more than anything, since I hardly ever used it anyway. YMMV.

gchanjam said:
Exactly. Just buy the game and install it (great game BTW)....I promise, the sun will still come up tomorrow.

4saken said:

lol.gif

add me to the list of starforce not causing any problems

i wore an aluminum foil hat when i installed trackmania

I have Trackmania Nations, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory all installed. Not one problem.

PCMusicGuy said:
Buy a small, cheap harddrive, load Windows and the drivers you need to play, install the game and have fun. Keep it isolated if you are that worried about it. I recently played Syberia 2 (starforce game) and am still able to use Daemon and Alcohol 120.

I'm assuming you have the european version? Syberia 2 in the states doesn't have starforce. :D

neokeelo said:
I guess I will go ahead and order it. I hope nothing messes up.

Although I do avoid starforce games unless I HAVE to have it, you'll be find. I have a few starforce games and nothing happened. MOSTLY nothing happens to anyone. But if you're 'tagged' then you will hate it.

(Coldfear for me wouldn't work until Ubisoft gave me the execute without starforce)

Well guys, I bought TOCA 3 last night at EB Games for 20 bucks. It only took 4 trys to get it to install without crashing but I think it was due to my overclocking. It tuned it down from 4ghz to stock 3gz and it installed fine. I can play it at 3.75Ghz fine without crashs. Not sure why this game does not run well at 4ghz like Fear, Quake 4, BF2, I guess it is because of starforce.

I have only played it about an hour but I must say I like it so far, I turned on Pro Simulation mode and put the difficulty on medium. Using a Logitech Momo wheel it was a real challange to stay on the read and keep up with the other cars. I look forward to mastering the driving system. I loaded up Battlfield 2 with Damon tools and had no problems. Have not tried burning dvds yet. I will try that today.

I DID make a restore point before I installed the game incase I need to rollback to before I had Starforce drivers.

Wish me luck. :D

Back