Buying some new monitors. Torn between the Predators, z35 vs. x34

Deacon_Jones1988

Limp Gawd
Sup all, hope you all are keeping it [H]. As the title says, I have alot of extra cash incoming, and alot of space. So I am looking to redo my whole setup. I want to build the battle/work station of my dreams. I have around $5000 I'm looking to spend for everything if needed. But, there are so many wonderful things in this world, such as pixel devouring beasts like a 980ti and gtx 1080. Also, great canvases that can pretty much display anything you or some great visionary can imagine, such as an Acer x34 and/or z35.

A bad ass display is just one of the great things I am looking to add to my station. I am torn between these two. I like the z35 for its size and aesthetics. Along with its Ultra wide greatness and Gsync, also one must not forget the 144hz capability (overclockable to 200hz :).) I really like the extra usb 3.0 ports on the back, that would be handy for connecting my frequently used peripherals But alas, the resolution is 2560x1080 :(. Honestly its not that bad but hey, 4k will soon be the new standard, and I have been stuck in a 1080p rut too long. Sometimes I find myself running VSR just to attempt to satiate mine and my 980ti's hunger for pixels. But its not the same. It's comparable to eating immitation cheese. :(

On the other hand the x34 is a beast as well. It might not be as pretty and curvaceous as z35 but it is a IPS panel with a whopping 5 million pixels (close enough). I know the x34 has a higher than 60 refresh rate, it can be OC'd up to 100hz based on what I have read. I have longed for a high hz monitor for some time, atleast a 120. The former fits this bill. Alot of the other features are the same for the monitors, but the ones that matter to me are resolution and refresh rate. Gsync is something I want and both of these have that. So the burning question is: Which do I choose?

I mostly play games, but I also do a bit of "productivity" in the form of Photoshop, Sketchbook Pro, Zbrush, Unity, Maya etc. I just want to hear some opinions. I plan on getting one of these monitors and another MX279h, I already have one of these. To make 3 in total, but I only plan to game on Predator, which ever wins out.

Thanks in advance, sorry for the large post.

-Stay [H]

I wouldn't count the Z35 as more than 120hz based on the feedback: Acer Predator Z35 Review - TFT Central.
It's a VA panel so it isn't that surprising, but with the promise of "200hz overclocking!!111" and the obscene pricetag it doesn't look that good IMO.

Thanks for the reply and pointing that out. I really appreciate it. After your post I started looking at the RoG Swift monitors, the 34" Ultrawide looks nice. My bro has the 1st gen 27" swift and he loves it.

Thanks for the reply and pointing that out. I really appreciate it. After your post I started looking at the RoG Swift monitors, the 34" Ultrawide looks nice. My bro has the 1st gen 27" swift and he loves it.
Wait for x34p from acer updated at end of this year. Has more curved screen, clocked at 100 hz and joystick osd. What I am getting at end of the year.

Wait for x34p from acer updated at end of this year. Has more curved screen, clocked at 100 hz and joystick osd. What I am getting at end of the year.

What he said!
Plus IPS. I could not do PS on anything other than IPS.

X34 launch day guy here on a high end (see SIG) system that I only use for gaming / general Internet use (no productivity and no movie watching)

It's a great screen.

Mine his 100hz with no (real) issues. I had to say no real issue because I do have the wake from sleep issue that many other owners have, but I've always had sleep disabled (I turn off my PC when I'm not sitting in front do it) so I really don't care.

The OSD is as horrible as everyone says but I haven't had the need to touch it even once or twice after the first day set up.

Keep in mind that you need serious graphics hardware to push 3440 X 1440 at 100 FPS. 3440 X 1440 Is approx 70% of the pixels of full 4K. So assuming things are linear (which they aren't but close enough for generalization), if you are saying you expect 100 FPS on the x34 that's the same thing as saying you'd expect 70 FPS at full 4K.

You need 2 X 1080s or 2 X Titan X/980Tis to get 100 FPS on the x34 in AAA titles with the settings cranked up.

G-sync helps a bit to make things seem smoother when you drop to low rates.

Too bad this thing won't be out till 2017, but man it should be a monster of a gaming monitor:

"Perhaps the most interesting panel is planned for Q1 production 2017 at the moment. This is a new version of the LM340UW3 panel (revision tbc). This is a 34" curved ultra-wide IPS panel (1900R curvature) with a 3440 x 1440 resolution. It will offer a 144Hz refresh rate as well! Current 34" widescreen displays are making use of a native 60Hz IPS panel from LG.Display, overclocked in some cases to 100Hz maximum where a G-sync module is added to the screen. With the arrival of this 144Hz native panel we assume it will also need to use DisplayPort v1.3 connectivity but this will allow refresh rates to be significantly improved in this sector. With a native support of 144Hz we may also see some screens paired with blur reduction backlights which would be welcome in the 34" space as well."

LCD and TFT Monitor News

Back