Buying/Selling software with activation codes

SarverSystems

Supreme [H]ardness
How exactly do you buy software with an activation code? Specifically, I am talking about BF2, HL2, WinXP, etc...

I am afraid to buy, since they know what the key was.

Basically you have to trust the seller that he isn't going to use it if the software is used. If its new and sealed then well theres no worry.

I would recommend never buying a preowned MMORPG though, Most companies frown upon selling of accounts and will ban/delete the account if they know it was sold. The accounts are also not very secure since the original person who opened the account can always reclaim it by calling CS and telling them the original CC that it was created with, they will change the password and basically screw you out of the money and account. This happened often with EQ1, all complaints to Sony would go either ignored or banning of the account and well then your still at a lost with the money.

Another thought is to check on the manufacturers stance on lost CD keys. A couple of game manufacturers (like Blizzard) will send you a new CD and key upon return of the original CD. So, if you lost your Key, you can contact customer service and send them your original CD and they'll send you a new one with a key.

Just a thought, especially if you're talking about buying a Blizzard game (WoW comes to mind).

Back