Buying second card for SLI

SKy042

[H]ard|Gawd
Do i need to buy the exact same model. How bout the exact same brand?

With the Forceware 80 drivers, you only need the same GPU model. So you in theory can pair any 7800 GT with any other 7800 GT, even if they are two different brands or even different memory sizes or clock speeds.

I however, just to eliminate any potention problems, would by the extact same card, if at all possible. SLI will only work to the lowest common denominator, so if you got a better second card, a little faster or more memory, SLI will treat both cards as the slowest and smallest memory size of the two.

You can check out the info here in the Configuration Secion of SLIZONE: http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_faq.html

Good hunting!

2GB Corsair 3500LL Pro Memmory
2x BFG 7800 GTX 512 OC in SLI
3x Maxtor DiamondMax10 300GB HDD in RAID-0
2x hp dvd740 DVD Writer optical drive | 1x Mitsumi FA404M 7-in-1 USB 2.0 card reader and floppy drive
Antec P180 case
Enermax EG851AX-VH 660W Power Supply
Samsung SyncMaster 213T 21" 1600x1200 LCD Monitor

heatlesssun said:
With the Forceware 80 drivers, you only need the same GPU model. So you in theory can pair any 7800 GT with any other 7800 GT, even if they are two different brands or even different memory sizes or clock speeds.

I however, just to eliminate any potention problems, would by the extact same card, if at all possible. SLI will only work to the lowest common denominator, so if you got a better second card, a little faster or more memory, SLI will treat both cards as the slowest and smallest memory size of the two.

You can check out the info here in the Configuration Secion of SLIZONE: http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_faq.html

Good hunting!

I'll check into that.
I was going to find a cheaper 7800GTX 256 but I guess I'll just get another XFX.

Well I did it.
I ordered another XFX PVT70FUNF7
Guess I'll have some work to do this weekend.
Gotta backup the system. install the new Epox board and the second GTX should be fun once I reload.

Hopefully FEAR will finally play 1600x1200 without getting choppy.

Back