Buying Ryzen? Share w/ us your upcoming build!

Dan_D I tip my hat to you, fine sir! lol

But seriously, many kudos to you! The iGPU and Memory Controller were things I was aware of having phases right next to the CPU's, being that's what they're packaged on; however, I was not aware that the PLX had one up there, too. Quite informative! The whole MOSFEET aspect was also something I knew of, but I personally think too few end users are aware of it, and end up buying something thinking they're getting a much better product than they actually are.

Thanks. :) In the past, things like the PLX chip and other things wouldn't necessarily have their phases next to the CPU phases but it makes sense given where the PLX is placed. It's between the expansion slot area and the CPU. Sometimes still move the PLX phase elsewhere. You have to take every motherboard on a case by case basis, even if its from the same vendor. BTW, the chipset has it's own phase setup as well. We usually don't talk too much about it because it doesn't seem to have an impact on the overclockability, stability or performance of the motherboard. I sometimes mention them in passing, but not often.

I originally ordered the Gaming 5 and cancelled after reading the low power phase count and lack of extra CPU power connector. Went with the Crosshair

Well, Koolance just released the AM4 adapter bracket for their new 390 blocks yesterday for a whopping $17 and change plus shipping. I have 3x380 water blocks, and they haven't said a thing about those at all. The 380 and the 390 look to have the same physical layout, so I went ahead and ordered the bracket.

I figure it this way: Either 1) Yay! It fits and no more hastles need be had! or 2) It doesn't fit, but I now have a solid template for drilling the 3x380 brackets I have already. I'll let you guys know how it goes when my stuff arrives in another week or so.

Here's what I'd do... List off for us what aspects of the Gigabyte Gaming 5 you like and perhaps maybe don't like or wish were different. Then list off what it is about the Taichi that has you considering it instead.

Also mentioning your intentions for the system will help, for instance I noticed you mentioned video editing.

Okay, I first gravitated toward Gigabyte because I've owned Gigabyte in the past and I like the high quality feel of the boards as well as the accessories they came with. I've never owned ASRock. I have had ASUS and other brands over the years.

I haven't overclocked anything since I was like 7 with the Celeron 300A to 450 because it was so easy even a kid could do it. But I'm interested in trying it again (but it's not a dealbreaker if I can't since stability is most important to me).

I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to picking a motherboard so I don't really know what to look for. So here's what interested me in the Gigabyte besides the name... 2 Gb Ethernet ports. lots of USB 3.1, 3.0, and 2.0. support for higher speed RAM. what I didn't like was the 1 M.2

here's what interested me about the ASRock Taichi... people kept mentioning VRM and how the Taichi had so many. I'm completely new to the concept but if it's good for overclocking, I'll get it. the Taichi also has 2 M.2 but I just read that if you plug in one, the other is disabled? Why have 2 then?

the Taichi also has 2 M.2 but I just read that if you plug in one, the other is disabled? Why have 2 then?
Where did you read that? If the second one (bottom port) is used then the bottom PCIe slot is disabled. I also think that 3 SATA ports are shared with the eSATA but i'm not positive.

Where did you read that? If the second one (bottom port) is used then the bottom PCIe slot is disabled. I also think that 3 SATA ports are shared with the eSATA but i'm not positive.

You lose some of the SATA ports when you plug in a second M.2 drive.

another forum. some guy's post. I know, I know. be careful what you read. but being a neophyte, it's hard to separate fact from fiction/FUD. I don't remember because these posts are coming hot and heavy. so if you go away from the thread for awhile, everything gets buried.

another forum. some guy's post. I know, I know. be careful what you read. but being a neophyte, it's hard to separate fact from fiction/FUD. I don't remember because these posts are coming hot and heavy. so if you go away from the thread for awhile, everything gets buried.
Well, for once ASrock is doing a great job of listing their boards.

I have the msi gaming mobo on order and have done a lot of reading about it. It does support dual M.2 ports FYI.

I ordered a 1700x, Asus Prime X370-Pro, Koolance waterblock/bracket, and 16 GB DDR4 3000 (Corsair with white LEDs). Should be a fun build.

I originally ordered the Gaming 5 and cancelled after reading the low power phase count and lack of extra CPU power connector. Went with the Crosshair

On the website it shows 6 + 4 power phases?

What did you mean by extra power connector ? There is normally a 8 pin one ?

From Asus Hero VI:
2 x RGB Header(s)
1 x USB 3.0 connector(s) support(s) additional 2 USB 3.0 port(s)
1 x USB 2.0 connector(s) support(s) additional 2 USB 2.0 port(s)
1 x M.2 Socket 3 with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
1 x TPM header
8 x SATA 6Gb/s connector(s)
1 x CPU Fan connector(s)
1 x CPU OPT Fan connector(s)
3 x Chassis Fan connector(s)
1 x W_PUMP+ connector
1 x AIO_PUMP connector
1 x 24-pin EATX Power connector(s)
1 x Front panel audio connector(s) (AAFP)
1 x Thermal sensor connector(s)
1 x Reset button(s)
1 x LN2 Mode switch(es)
1 x ROG extension (ROG_EXT) header(s)
1 x Safe Boot button
1 x ReTry button
1 x Slow Mode jumper(s)
1 x System panel connector
2 x 3D Mount screw port(s)
1 x W_IN header
1 x W_OUT header
1 x W_FLOW header
1 x Start button
1 x USB 3.1 front panel connector

From Gigabyte gaming 5:
  1. 1 x 24-pin ATX main power connector
  2. 1 x 8-pin ATX 12V power connector
  3. 1 x U.2 connector
  4. 1 x M.2 Socket 3 connector
  5. 2 x SATA Express connectors
  6. 8 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors
  7. 1 x CPU fan header
  8. 1 x water cooling CPU fan header
  9. 4 x system fan headers
  10. 2 x system fan/water cooling pump headers
  11. 1 x front panel header
  12. 1 x front panel audio header
  13. 1 x S/PDIF Out header
  14. 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 headers
  15. 2 x USB 2.0/1.1 headers
  16. 1 x Trusted Platform Module (TPM) header
  17. 1 x CPU cooler LED strip/RGB LED strip extension cable header
  18. 1 x RGB (RGBW) LED strip extension cable header
  19. 2 x temperature sensor headers
  20. 1 x Clear CMOS jumper
  21. 1 x power button
  22. 1 x reset button
  23. 1 x Clear CMOS button
  24. 1 x OC button
  25. 2 x BIOS switches

Last edited:
On the website it shows 6 + 4 power phases?

What did you mean by extra power connector ? There is normally a 8 pin one ?

You weren't talking to me, but I think I know what he is means. The Crosshair VI Hero and the MSI Titanium have the 8 pin plus another 4 pin connector. The Crosshair has 12 phases. I think the Titanium has 10. Anyway, the top of the line Gigabyte there has only the 10 phases and is missing the extra 4 pin power connector which may be helpful in overclocking Ryzen. Gigabyte seems to have gone down the path of skimping on VRM and power delivery to focus on RGB lighting and other BS that many overclockers don't care about. I can see why people would pick other options.

Well.. I'm no longer a future AMD guy again. Maybe next round! It was close but not close enough for me.

Best of luck!!

Well I just got back from Microcenter (Denver). Holy shit that place was a freaking madhouse! I got their at 10:39am. Not everybody was there buying Ryzen though, just a bunch of people buying all kinds of crap.

They had plenty of Ryzen processors, but they were almost sold out of Asus CH6, I think there was only 3-4 left when I was there. They didn't have any Asrock, MSI boards. Apparently they were expecting to get them by this weekend.

In any case, I walked out with a 1700 & Asus CH6 Total $597 out the door. Now its time to start building, should be kickass.

Well.. I'm no longer a future AMD guy again. Maybe next round! It was close but not close enough for me.

Best of luck!!
Personally, I don't see there being a reason to back out of Ryzen. Or, at the very least, no reason to switch what you're buying after canceling... Reasoning? The fact that it just launched, and there will no doubt be Windows Updates (remember Bulldozer?), software patches, BIOS tweaks and improved microcode.

To me, Ryzen looks great as far as a very serious attempt by AMD to go toe to toe with Intel after so many years, and things will no doubt get better. :) I mentioned it earlier, "Good things come to those who wait". Just now, the waiting isn't without already having something, making it far easier since we already have a good thing!

Just my 2cents though...

Personally, I don't see there being a reason to back out of Ryzen. Or, at the very least, no reason to switch what you're buying after canceling... Reasoning? The fact that it just launched, and there will no doubt be Windows Updates (remember Bulldozer?), software patches, BIOS tweaks and improved microcode.

To me, Ryzen looks great as far as a very serious attempt by AMD to go toe to toe with Intel after so many years, and things will no doubt get better. :) I mentioned it earlier, "Good things come to those who wait". Just now, the waiting isn't without already having something, making it far easier since we already have a good thing!

Just my 2cents though...

Oh I really do hope that after a few patches Ryzen IPC catches up with the intel 7th generation IPC performance. That IPC metric being so much less and so many more Clocks Per Second on the 7700 CPU's just made it more worth my dollar.

It would actually be better for ALL OF US in the long run if it turns out Ryzen can our perform clock for clock current Intel CPU's. Just like it will be better for us if the upcoming generation of video cards from AMD can out perform the Nvidia cards. Competition should be a matter of preference for us to buy the best CPU for us.

The unfortunate fact of the matter is for my use case the IPC difference of greater than 30% means my dollar is better spent on the Intel CPU THIS TIME. I have hope that next time it will be AMD!

well, if all you care about is gaming, Intel is better. but if you do things besides gaming, the AMD looks mighty fine. I do a ton of 4K video editing in Adobe Premiere Pro and need as much power as possible within a reasonable budget which is why I'm getting the 1800X. There's no Intel in its price range that can match the performance.

Back