Buying new machine: AVA, Maingear or Puget & some questions on configuration

To Puget i say keep doing what you do. I almost want to say i wish i had bought from you or will next time but also feel like I'm betraying Maingear and the friends Ive made there. that will never out way my money so ill just say who knows what will happen next time. it would have been nice to pick out all the hardware on my maingear. i would have liked to to get a different better cpu waterblock, res, etc. something i think looks better and all that.

Jd...thanks for the honesty. We're working harder on responding on the forums in a more timely fashion.

I'll tell you what I've said all along--I'm just glad you're buying from small manufacturers instead of giving in and buying from the big guys. Customers like you are what keeps all of us going, and competition is not only healthy, but it makes each company strive to provide a better computer. I'd love to have you as a customer, but I'm happy that you chose Maingear instead of a cookie-cutter build.

Jd...thanks for the honesty. We're working harder on responding on the forums in a more timely fashion.

Well geez, Heather, if you weren't (H)ing all the time maybe you could respond on your own boards in a more timely fashion. :p :D

On second thought, stay here, they don't need you over there spamming your post count. :)

luv,luv ;)

Thanks for taking my comments how i meant them. I tried to be nice about it, because honestly I'm a nice guy. i felt mean just saying what i did.

As for the bigger mainstream builders, its like they just keep building without a care in the world....
and their customer service is is the worst stuff ever.

I came so close to buying from Puget. In a number of ways i wish i had. I think the reason i chose maingear was because of their customer service i kept hearing about and the comments i read here. i also seen the pics of their builds in the reviews they did here in the past. I'm pretty picky and i wanted it clean. afterwords i seen good Puget's builds are as well...

Again i didn't say Puget doesn't have good customer service. I don't know because i didn't order from them; however everyone was always nice to me on the board and when i called. I like the fact that the CEO gets on the board and posts else where on the site. If i remember correctly i think i was speaking with Peter the most....threw emails and on the phone. My name is Jessie Brown by the way, in case of whatever...

I love all the options Puget offers. like i said before, who knows what will happen next time. Even now i wish i had gotten a little more say so with what exact parts go in my PC. that may very well stray me to Puget next time.

I also really like all the information that is available on parts. For example you can click on a part then a box comes up with comments on from the Puget employees. that is a very nice touch. something else i just now remember is the building process itself. i had completely forgotten about this. even when i ordered...

I remember seeing on the Puget site how you can track your build and everything. i think that is pretty slick and useful if i may say so.. cant believe i forgot about that... hmmm...

one more thing, Puget sure is a weird name. wonder how that came about. I'm use to seeing and saying it now though.

sorry guess I'm maybe venting a little. i look at it like helping though if I'm correct. if the OP of this thread or anyone else reads this then maybe i answered some questions and/or helped them out.

Puget Sound Systems was founded by Jon Bach in December of 2000. In 2003, we officially changed our name to Puget Systems because people unfamiliar with the company and the area were confused about whether we sold computers or audio systems! Originally run from Jon's home, the business started small and grew quickly. Our first computers were literally built on the basement table! Over the next four years, the company repeatedly outgrew its location. Each time, we moved to a larger and more idea location. Eventually, there was no house big enough to hold us (plus, Jon wanted his house back)!

As to the word Puget (Sound), it refers to the area of NW Washington that includes Seattle. "Puget Sound" is a broad net of waterways, bays, etc that extend from the pacific ocean into washington state.

It's basically a giant metropolitan area that includes dozens of cities and towns.

yeah i remember reading that very thing before. still a wierd word for a computer company...but so is maingear, alienware, voodoo, dell, so...

Well geez, Heather, if you weren't (H)ing all the time maybe you could respond on your own boards in a more timely fashion. :p :D

On second thought, stay here, they don't need you over there spamming your post count. :)

luv,luv ;)

LOL, I know, right? We have tons of people monitoring the Puget forums, and somehow, Jessie slipped through. That sucks.

As to the Puget name, yeah, I understand the "huh?" value. I had that same feeling until I came out here to interview (Virginia girl, born and raised) and realized that the people here are entirely sculpted by the geography of the region. So, it doesn't seem so strange now...because people here are different in a good way, and I guess that fits with what Jon envisioned for his company. That, and we do a lot of local business, so it helps people from around here identify us. My interpretation, anyway.

Come visit. The coffee's on me. If you make out here in summer, you may never want to leave...that's why I'm here now. LOL.

Thanks for taking my comments how i meant them. I tried to be nice about it, because honestly I'm a nice guy. i felt mean just saying what i did.

Don't feel badly. Any company (or company rep) that can't take a little constructive criticism shouldn't be selling custom computers. Thanks for the feedback, Jessie, I'm sending it on up the chain so that everyone can see it.

We'll be here if you're ever ready to give us a shot. :D

As for the bigger mainstream builders, its like they just keep building without a care in the world....
and their customer service is is the worst stuff ever.

I came so close to buying from Puget. In a number of ways i wish i had. I think the reason i chose maingear was because of their customer service i kept hearing about and the comments i read here. i also seen the pics of their builds in the reviews they did here in the past. I'm pretty picky and i wanted it clean. afterwords i seen good Puget's builds are as well...

Again i didn't say Puget doesn't have good customer service. I don't know because i didn't order from them; however everyone was always nice to me on the board and when i called. I like the fact that the CEO gets on the board and posts else where on the site. If i remember correctly i think i was speaking with Peter the most....threw emails and on the phone. My name is Jessie Brown by the way, in case of whatever...

I love all the options Puget offers. like i said before, who knows what will happen next time. Even now i wish i had gotten a little more say so with what exact parts go in my PC. that may very well stray me to Puget next time.

I also really like all the information that is available on parts. For example you can click on a part then a box comes up with comments on from the Puget employees. that is a very nice touch. something else i just now remember is the building process itself. i had completely forgotten about this. even when i ordered...

I remember seeing on the Puget site how you can track your build and everything. i think that is pretty slick and useful if i may say so.. cant believe i forgot about that... hmmm...

one more thing, Puget sure is a weird name. wonder how that came about. I'm use to seeing and saying it now though.

sorry guess I'm maybe venting a little. i look at it like helping though if I'm correct. if the OP of this thread or anyone else reads this then maybe i answered some questions and/or helped them out.

Why do all the maingear fanboys come off as little assholes. Go back to their forum and whine about how good your decision was please.

Not sure what you're taking issue with. He was very complementary of Puget. What more do you want? For him to say Maingear sucks? They don't, so he didn't.

*whiteguardian
ha ha lol , did you even read my posts.....

I find it can be quite hard to say exactly what you mean in text. so thanks for taking the time to read my long posts and understanding. i didn't mean to hog up this thread. I'm not the OP so sorry about that. i just wanted to share my thoughts and experience. i honestly had a fun time looking for a new pc. i had a lot of $$$ to buy what i wanted, so of course i was super excited about it. not only did i get the pc i wanted but i bought one for my wife as well.

maybe my comments will help someone in some way. as far as whining goes, about the only thing ill whine about is when will the OLED monitors start coming out and cheap. they look pretty awesome do they not..?! :D

Not sure what you're taking issue with. He was very complementary of Puget. What more do you want? For him to say Maingear sucks? They don't, so he didn't.

QFT.

I got a little confused, too...I appreciate the compliments, right along with the criticism. I take JD's post as hindsight speaking as opposed to "whining".

Make no mistake...Maingear's a great company. We never mind being compared to them.

QFT.

I got a little confused, too...I appreciate the compliments, right along with the criticism. I take JD's post as hindsight speaking as opposed to "whining".

Make no mistake...Maingear's a great company. We never mind being compared to them.

well put. thanks.... :D just to add; i wasn trying to purposely put one over the other or put one on a pedestal. just trying to share my opinion and experience(s).

-jessie brown
aka jdbrown_82

Back