Buying New Camera

SpeedSlayer

Supreme [H]ardness
After spending several hours researching. I came to the conclusion that basically the D50, D70, Digital Rebel XT are almost all exactly the same.

While the Canon has better lenses, I have choosen the Nikon D50 for one MAJOR Reason:

SD Card

My laptop has only a SD Card. I use my SD Card as a secondary backup for everything at work. So being able to keep using SD Cards, it made my decision fairly simple.

Now onto my questions
Type of Photographs:

Mainly Still pictures of Pools. I am designer of a pool company, so most pictures will be during the day.
Secondary use: Scenary - I have been absolutely fascinated by this (Standing out in the rain with a P&S 8mp Olympus, Shutter on 4 seconds, trying to get catch good lighting at 1:30am was a thrill for me)
Third use: Close Ups

Which is the best buy?
$549 Nikon D50 Digital SLR w/Quantaray 28-90mm F/3.3-5.6 Lens
$599 Nikon D50 Digital SLR w/Nikkor 28-80mm F/3.3-5.6 G Lens
$699 Nikon D50 Digital SLR Kit w/18-55mm AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens

Im truly a n00b when it comes to lenses so be kind to me

Personally Id get the 18-55 then you can get the 55-200. For a fairly good price. Also the 50mm f/1.8 can be had for about $100. The 55-200mm is around $200 and, is a good inexpensive lense. That is how I did it. It is a good way to have a wide range. I got the 50mm for low light, like sunsets and, such. Also it is good for portraits.

Get the body only and pick up a used 18-70 DX - there are lots of those on the market and they quite good

If you are doing shots of pools, you might also make use of a wide-angle lens. It could come in handy if you want to capture the entire pool and its setting in smaller backyards. One would also segue nicely into your landscape photography interests.

I got the 18-55mm Lenses and I have been playing around and I just LOVE IT.

I will be posting a gallery after the weekend.

Only problem: Got a Lexar 2gb and didnt realize the card doesnt work with my slot! GRR! Now I have to return it.. At least my salesman was a hot 25year old women that was flirting back!

Which 2 gig did you get? My Lexar 2gig SD works just fine in my D50.

Back