Buying ne HD what do you reccomend

Tinfoilrcr

n00b
Hey Everyone-

Looking to get a second hard drive for my rig. Looking for something that is really quiet, fast, and affordable. I'm looking to spend in the neighborhood of $100-125 (although less would be preferable. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

wd aaks series drives, quiet, cool and fast, about 100 for 500gb version

wd aaks series drives, quiet, cool and fast, about 100 for 500gb version

I agree. I just got a WD5000AAKS and Hitachi T7K500 for about $100 each. Nice drives. 500 GB is the sweet spot in GB/$ ratio right now.

Would you recommend one over the other? I've been looking at both on newegg and they both look great. Thanks.

Both drives are great IMO. The WD5000AAKS is probably the quietest hard drive I have right now (300 GB Maxline, 320 GB hitachi, 400 GB Seagate 7200.10, then the two 500s) and it is pretty fast, though I am only using the numbers from the Vista file copy window and the resource monitor when I say that, since I had to move about 300 GB of data around the past couple days.

The Hitachi T7K500 is probably a little faster than the WD5000AAKS, though I think it is a little louder than the WD5000AAKS. I bought two different models of 500 GB since I wanted a diverse set of hard drives. :p

Really, buy either, go for the WD5000AAKS is you really want silence but still want good performance. Plus it is a secondary drive so it should fit the bill, plus it was slightly cheaper than the Hitachi (bought from ZipZoomFly a several weeks ago). I will probably get additional 500 GB drives unless the 750s and TB drives come down drastically in price, and I am looking at getting more WD5000AAKS or T7K500s.

i have hitachi 500gb in my game machine and boatload of aaks in file server, the hitachi is a bit faster but the aaks run cooler and are quieter

Nobody mentions Seagate? C'mon guys... :)

The Seagate 320GB is rather quiet and good amount of space for the money. I also like the 5-year warranty of their drives.

The WD5000AAKS has won several awards for being so quiet. It uses less electricity and produces less heat that its counterparts. It's win win :)

Back