Buying laptop parts individually?

Tantalum

n00b
Hello I have a Sager NP9262 and last night my graphics card died on me. So I called up Sager and asked how much it would cost for me to replace my 9800M GT(512), I was a bit shocked when they told me it would cost at least $600 to fix my current card to me this seemed a bit high, so I thought if it costs $600 to fix my current one I might as well try and upgrade to something better.

When I first bought my laptop I had a few options, a 9800M GT and a 260M GTX and a if I remember a 280M GTX, according to the guy I was talking to from Sager however.., my only upgrade option was a 9800M GT(1GB) that would cost me around $900. For that much money I could upgrade my desktops 8800 GT to a lovely GeForce GTX 295 CO-OP from EVGA and still have money left over.

Are laptop graphics cards really this expensive when compared to the desktop cards? Since my warrenty ran out anyway I opened up the laptop to take a look at the card, it's a JMXM2 if that means anything.

Is there any place I can buy a MxM2 card from that won't cost me an insane amount of money? I'm going over to Germany in two months so I can't take a desktop with me, which is why I am trying to bring a laptop with enough power to last me the year I will be there.

EDIT:
Just found out thanks to the MxM website that my computer model the "Clevo D901C" supports up to type IV of MxM cards, so the information I got from the Sager employe was incorrect.

Last edited:
I hate to bump my own topic but does out of over 80 views no one knows anything about this?

I need my laptop for school and with the prices they are charging me it would be cheaper by a factor of serveral hundred dollars if I just sold the laptop as parts and then rebuilt my desktop at this point.

But I can't do that because I need a computer powerful enough to do 3d animation and modeling that I can take with me to germany(I am posting this on a netbook).

If no one can help me with the laptop, does anyone know the best way/place to sell my Sager? It has a E6850 CPU and 2gb of 1333Mhz ram. I know I can't sell it as like I normally would since it has no graphics card so I am at a bit of a loss.

So far the only thing I have found is Ztronics.com which may be able to help you, but I am not sure.

Doing a search on "Replacement Sager video cards" turns up a few things. I found a place that had a Nvidia 260 mobile video card, but it was $450 for just the card, and I don't think it was the right card for your laptop.

Sounds very, very expensive. Much more expensive than I would have expected - Laptop parts like this are generally high priced, but I wouldn't have suspected them to be that high. I would look around google or ebay to see if you can come up with any cheaper alternatives (lame advice, I know but I do).

Unless this has changed within recent years, frequently the generic Sager models are rebranded and sold elsewhere - So your Sager OMG49XTP might be the same chassis as say an Alienware WTF882ZR5. If your model happens to correspond to one of these that is also sold elsewhere under a different brand, I would get in touch with some of those companies and see if they offer upgrades, repairs or replacements cheaper.

Back