• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Buying domain names

Mr_Superstar

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 1, 2000
Messages
1,157
Hi All,

I've never bought a domain name before, but I'm thinking about buying one now. Who do you guys use/like for buying domain names?

I run my own webserver so I'm not worried about web hosting... I just need to buy the domain name.

Thanks,

Mr_Superstar
 
you run a webserver.... and you've never baught a domain...
odd

look for the cheapest one :O
 
He probabbly uses a dynamic dns service like No-IP or DynDNS. I also use Godaddy. They are great, they have great support, and they are very resonable.
 
Thanks guys... GoDaddy it is...

Yes, I have been using no-ip, but I'm getting sick of that... so time to buy my own.. thanks again.

Mr_Superstar
 
I'd stay from GoDaddy.
I know a fwe people who have had wonderful success stories with them, but then I know more that have had mainly horror stories.


NameCheap.com in my opinion is the most rockingly best.

-randyc:cool:
 
Now, the problem your going to come to is finding hosting for your domain. I have found a couple different sites that do free Domain name service hosting, one is http://www.everydns.net/ and another I believe is called zoneinfo I think. Now, if your up to it you can also host it yourself, as you have mentioned your already are hosting your own webserver so I suspect you could set up a DNS server as well.

I thought I would respond to the guy above me. I have never had a problem at all with godaddy, that doesn't mean it can't happen though.
 
ive been pointed to www.zoneedit.com but I have no idea how to use it or what to do from there. ive got my server and the limit (45) from dyndns.com and want my own TLD but no idea what to do. if I can do it for free with zoneedit and my own MS box I would like to and I bet so would the thread starter...right? :D
 
randyc said:
I'd stay from GoDaddy.
I know a fwe people who have had wonderful success stories with them, but then I know more that have had mainly horror stories.

Uhmmmm...please give us the details.
 
I use godaddy as well.

I have bigty.com, but haven't found a cheap hosting site yet....all I am going to use it for is so friends and family (and confused google searchers) can stay up-to-date on me. :D
 
pairnic.com has been good for me - it has great DNS record control as well. the only thing missing are PTR records.
 
Messy said:
pairnic.com has been good for me - it has great DNS record control as well. the only thing missing are PTR records.

IIRC, PTR records can only be run by the owner of the IP address therefore ,unless you buy a IP from your ISP, they control the PTR.
 
ug, you don't need friggen dns hosting (as long as you have a static IP). I thought i told you this in that other thread.

Xipher said:
Now, the problem your going to come to is finding hosting for your domain. I have found a couple different sites that do free Domain name service hosting, one is http://www.everydns.net/ and another I believe is called zoneinfo I think. Now, if your up to it you can also host it yourself, as you have mentioned your already are hosting your own webserver so I suspect you could set up a DNS server as well.

I thought I would respond to the guy above me. I have never had a problem at all with godaddy, that doesn't mean it can't happen though.
 
Back
Top