Buying Cheap Non-Branded Ink For Printers?

SuperG

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

I have a Canon Pixma ip4000 printer and it now needs ink. I was looking at prices for the ink for that printer and they are quite expensive. Then I decided to look online and found a site 123inkjets.com, and they had quite inexpensive ink cartridges for my printer, but were of course knock offs so to speak. My question is regarding the quality of the inks you get from 123inkjets or similar companies. How does it compare to the genuine canon ones? Does it dry out too fast or produce a lot less pages per cartridge, etc.? Does it cause any problems or damage to the printer? Would it be recommend for me to purchase them from that store or go for the real deal canon ink and pay the extra $ needed? I also have the same question for purchasing a toner cartridge for my HP Laserjet printer. They are about 50% cheaper than buying a brand new HP one. Thanks for everyones advice.

SuperG

I haven't tried for a few years to do the non-name brand cartridges. They might be better now but back then it would only use about 1/2 of the cartridge and then complain it was empty as it wasn't reading the sensor correctly.

Ink/toner is way to damn expensive... you can rebuy the printer for about the same cost as buying all of the replacement parts / toner / ink usually =\

Anyone bought these non-branded inks recently and have some experiences / opinions on it?

SuperG

Might want to make sure you're not screwing yourself out of your warranty first. Before it was replaced, I used to use OfficeMax ink in my Lexmark all the time. It worked fine, but luckily I didn't have to make a warranty claim as using these cartridges that were about 25-30% cheaper voided it because they weren't OEM.

Might want to make sure you're not screwing yourself out of your warranty first. Before it was replaced, I used to use OfficeMax ink in my Lexmark all the time. It worked fine, but luckily I didn't have to make a warranty claim as using these cartridges that were about 25-30% cheaper voided it because they weren't OEM.

Good point, but assuming I am not concerned with warranty issues for it, are there any other downsides to it? What I mean is, if the ink works just fine as the OEM ones, and they won't damage the printer or leave streaks on pages, etc., then I don't mind if the warranty doesn't cover it, because the printer itself will be worth less than the money I save by not using OEM ink. Thanks

SuperG

I guess you should try it out and let us know how it works :)

Check out their reseller rating if they have one.

Wow, those prices are pretty cheap. I think I might just go for those and give it a go. Checked out the site on resellerratings.com and it looks to be pretty good. The private store is like 1/2 the price of the regular abacus store, weird. I hope you don't have to be some kind of special member to order from the private site. Thanks.

SuperG

Back