buying cell phone service?

jcmuse

Limp Gawd
hi,

i want to get a sprint plan for 2 people (to share the minutes). i need to be able to transfer my old #s and would like to buy online and get a good deal on phones (i'd prefer free phone but cheap is good if it is a nice phone). Any suggestions on sites? I know there are a ton of promotions for cell phones so am wondering if there is any secrets to it.

thx.

well it all depends on where you are and what is local to you.....
Can you give more details on your location (your exact street address is not needed :p )

If this is your first Cell Phone, then I'd suggest you ask your family, friends, or co-workers on the type of service they're using. Sometimes, they hate it but still use it because they're on a contract, or some otherr reason.

And I don't know if Sprint has it on their website, but look for a personal coverage check option or maybe go down to your local store and ask an employee there to ask how's the service. Finally: take advantage of their limited tryout period (usually 14 days or so - but ask and don't assume). Finally, get the phone that fits your budget and your needs. Unfortunately, you don't have that much choices in phones like how you have with other service providers. (I'm trying to be non-biased here)

I'll agree, ASK AROUND. Depending on where you are depends on the quality of coverage you get. I don't agree with asking the salesman at the local store because they are always going to say they have better service. My experience; My wife and I had Cingular for 5 years and the switched to Nexthell. Cingular was great but we wanted the walkie talkie service...well the walkie talkie service was the only thing that was good about Nexthell. Poor coverage and high rates made us switch back to Cingular and haven't looked back since. Cheaper plans (with more minutes than most), rollover minutes, shared family minutes, better coverage, and Cingular to Cingular for free all equal a MUCH lower bill than Nexthell. BTW most offers that you see online, whether its Cingular, Verizon, Sprint etc., will be honered in store even though it says online only. Transfering a number is generally pretty easy.

Cingular now has PTT service with select phones now. (figured I'd mention that for the previous poster)

Anyways, if you go into a store such as a Radio Shack that has a good variety of cellphone providers, you will have the ability to check out all the different phones at the same time, which is cool.

Don't forget to check out T-mobile, I've had nothing but good experiences!

frogpond1 said:
I don't agree with asking the salesman at the local store because they are always going to say they have better service.
I was thinking about Radioshack; sorry that I didn't make that clear. Of course, going to other places with multiple carriers (mostly independant dealers at malls) is good also.

Finally, ask a friend with the service that you're looking at to borrow their phone and just go to places you go to everyday (work, specific lunch place, home, etc) and see how their service/phone works (even better, call that friend on a landline phone [to elimate the variables]) and take note how clear the call is.

Back