Buying an iPod Touch

ebs5049

Limp Gawd
So with the almost guarantee arrival of the 4th gen iPod Touches tomorrow, my cheap ass is going to go and buy the 3rd gen because of a probable price drop. I'll be going on a long trip soon so I need something to keep me occupied. So I ask you [H], what are the best apps for the iTouch? What are the best (and by best I mean really cheap or free) games? What is the deal with iOS 4 on the iTouches. I heard it has caused battery life issues and other problems. Thanks.

Honestly, I would consider waiting for the new iPod Touch, which is almost a guarantee, to be announced tomorrow. With the retina screen likely to come to the iPod touch, possibility of the cameras, and faster capabilities, just wait for the new release--the new update might be worth the extra cost.

Apps:

Pulse News
Netflix
eBay
Pandora
Last.fm
Mint
Imdb

Games:

Angry Birds
Fruit Ninja
Monster Dash
Solipskier
Carcassonne
Archetype
Tiki Totems
Most of these are $.99. Its tough to weed out the good free games from the rest of the crap.

See.. I don't care about how nice the screen looks or the fact that it has a camera. I have a nice digital camera for taking pictures and cellphone. I'll wait and see what they do about pricing but I doubt it will be worth it to me. But thanks for the games and apps choices.

Plus, my car has iPod connectivity and I don't think it will be compatible with the 4th gen.

Last edited:
I'd recommend apple care. I babied my ipod touch 2G and it started to go after a year (buttons are messed up and it's constantly crashing)

How much do they want to rob you for the warranty? I have had 30gb video since they were first released and its been a trooper for the most part.

EDIT- Meh 60 bucks for an extra one year. I'll take the gamble. Anything that goes wrong I can probably find the part online and fix it myself.

While the new iPod touch is expected to be announced tomorrow, there's no guarantee it'll actually be available tomorrow, or anytime soon. It could be weeks, perhaps even months till they're in stores, there's just no way to know at this exact moment.

We'll find out in about 26 hours or so... ;)

And for the love of Woz, don't call it an iTouch... ugh. It's an iPod touch, folks, not iPod Touch, not iTouch, not anything else but iPod touch. Simple.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AppleCare-Warra...391?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f4edcfef

I gambled, and it was a foolish, foolish, mistake. I love my macbook, but apple builds ipods to last a year and then crap out.

Is this legit? This will work on any iPod touch including the 3rd gen? That's awesome. They need to use a smaller font on that page listing though. Jesus...

While the new iPod touch is expected to be announced tomorrow, there's no guarantee it'll actually be available tomorrow, or anytime soon. It could be weeks, perhaps even months till they're in stores, there's just no way to know at this exact moment.

And for the love of Woz, don't call it an iTouch... ugh. It's an iPod touch, folks, not iPod Touch, not iTouch, not anything else but iPod touch. Simple.

Well like I said, I have no interest in the new one anyway ;)

And yeah I know it's the iPod Touch, but I'm lazy.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

A capital "T" changes the product? Either one's ok imo, but iTouch.. yeah, bleh.

See.. I don't care about how nice the screen looks

You may say that now but you should find two people with older and 4th gen iphones and see the difference.

I can't even look at someone's 3g or 3gs now like I used to. They look broken.

The retina display is sooo much better.

But again, do what you want to! I just suggest taking a look at the new display next to an old one. Big difference.

I'd recommend apple care. I babied my ipod touch 2G and it started to go after a year (buttons are messed up and it's constantly crashing)

Really I've had mine since release and beat the living hell out it and its still kicking with out a problem. Looking forward to seeing the new ones though I need an upgrade 8 gig is to small :p

I'd dump my current 32gb 3rd gen for the new one, but it's been simply amazing for me... And I'm not sure when the next gen itouch will be jailbroken (love Cydia + Ibluever for on the go Internet with my dumbphone...)

I obviously can't vouch for the legitimacy of a seller on ebay. That being said, if you look around on ebay, you'll find many people who have had great experiences getting apple care in that manner. Just do some research first.

Man you just missed the keybank deal. Open an account, do some direct deposits, use your debit card, get a free ipod touch. The wife and I just got 2 8gb touches for free.

Wait for the new one.

Higher resolution display, faster A4 CPU, the gyroscope, and more system RAM.

The gyroscope is a pretty big feature to be missing if you are wanting to use the device for gaming. The games that use it are much more responsive then if they had to just use the accelerometer. The retina display for apps that support it is a pretty big thing to be missing as well. Osmos looks incredible on the higher resolution display.

As for best games -

GTA Chinatown Wars, Any number of the point and click classics that have been remastered on the iPhone (BASS, Broken Sword, Monkey Islands), Rolando's, plants vs zombies, Osmos, and a whole slew of other games are very good.

The retina display is definatly worth having. Upgrading from my iphone 3G to 4 the awesome display was the first thing I noticed. It really does look a lot better.

And why wouldn't your car be compatible with 4th gen? The connector and API still are exactly the same. My car was built pre iPhone 3GS, and worked fine with my iPhone 3G, and it works fine with the iPhone 4 now. Unless Apple changes the connector all iPod/iPhone accessories will always be compatible.

Wait for the new one.

Higher resolution display, faster A4 CPU, the gyroscope, and more system RAM.

Watching the keynote live, they didn't say anything about system ram. Though I would assume it would have more.

Watching the keynote live, they didn't say anything about system ram. Though I would assume it would have more.

I doubt they wouldn't put the 512MB of RAM that the iPhone 4 has into it. The iPod touches have always been superior to their iPhone generational counter-parts when it comes to stuff like that.

Basically, the point of all of this is that the iPhone 4 / new iPod touch are vastly superior to their previous generation counterparts. This comes in many ways. Be it the screen, the hardware itself, the form factor, and enhanced input. Everything i've mentioned is incredibly important if you want to game on the device. Granted, most devs make their games so it runs on all generations of iOS devices - But you'll be missing out on a bunch on older devices.

I doubt they wouldn't put the 512MB of RAM that the iPhone 4 has into it. The iPod touches have always been superior to their iPhone generational counter-parts when it comes to stuff like that.

Oh, I don't doubt. But they didn't say it.

I don't know if it would be 512mb. Could be. Ipad only has 256mb and it does fine.

I don't know if it would be 512mb. Could be. Ipad only has 256mb and it does fine.

Even so - All of the other features of the new iTouch are worth the money over a last generation device.

Even so - All of the other features of the new iTouch are worth the money over a last generation device.

Never said they weren't.

Though that is something that is up to the buyer. I wouldn't drop $230 right now for a retina display and faster processor. No matter how nice it is.

Meh..I kinda need the iPod soon and pre-orders start next week. If I see a decent drop in price on the 3rd gen that is fine with me. I really don't care about the cameras or the screen res. I just want a good music player that can be used for casual games and movie watching.

Never said they weren't.

Though that is something that is up to the buyer. I wouldn't drop $230 right now for a retina display and faster processor. No matter how nice it is.

If one uses the device for just listening to music, watching movies, and maybe browsing the web I would agree.

If the intent is also towards gaming you'd be a fool. As then you are going to be upgrading soon to the new device anyways. It's like buying a DX10 GPU. Yeah, it will play all the current games. However, you could have just spent a little more and gotten a DX11 GPU. Not to mention as more and more games come out that use the enhanced capabilities you'll be really missing out.

It's akin to buying a DS when the 3DS is a week away from being released. Yeah, the DS is great. The 3DS is loads better though. Just be patient and wait the week and get the better device.

If one uses the device for just listening to music, watching movies, and maybe browsing the web I would agree.

If the intent is also towards gaming you'd be a fool. As then you are going to be upgrading soon to the new device anyways. It's like buying a DX10 GPU. Yeah, it will play all the current games. However, you could have just spent a little more and gotten a DX11 GPU. Not to mention as more and more games come out that use the enhanced capabilities you'll be really missing out.

Well if I was buying a new one. I'm not. Just got 2 ipod touches. For free. I also don't care to game on it. Really I just listen to my podcasts.

Everyones needs are different.

Still, there is no reason to run out and buy a new one today for most people that already have one. Of course if you have the money to buy a new one and you are in the market for a new one then you would. Not arguing that. Never did.

The only thing I said is that they didn't say it had more ram. I don't know how it turned into you thinking I said don't buy it.

I just snagged a 3rd gen for $230 free shipping brand new on eBay. Good enough for me. My phone contract is going to be up in less than a year anyway so I'm gonna get a smartphone that will do everything else anyway. This is just to hold me over till then.

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/

New iPod with retina display and Facetime. How does it do Facetime if it can't make phone calls? Hmm..

Looks like they finally included a microphone on the device itself like the iPhone. Which would make sense since it can record movies now as well. If you look at the pictures you can see that the microphone is in the same place as the iPhone.

Pretty neat-o if you ask me. The iPod touch makes the perfect VOIP smartphone now (Although it still lacks the typical speaker where you would normally hold it like a phone).

No, it can't make phone calls. Facetime goes over wifi as it does on the iPhone. (Of course, you can jailbreak your iPhone and trick facetime to use data over 3G)

Coming to iPhone?

I would assume that being able to input someones apple ID instead of a phone number (which is what you currently have to do on the iphone 4 for facetime) will be added with the 4.1 update next week. (As that is the OS being shipped on the new iPod touch anyways)

I would assume that being able to input someones apple ID instead of a phone number (which is what you currently have to do on the iphone 4 for facetime) will be added with the 4.1 update next week. (As that is the OS being shipped on the new iPod touch anyways)

You do not currently have to do this. You call someone and then request facetime and then they accept.

You do not currently have to do this. You call someone and then request facetime and then they accept.

Thats exactly what I said. You call the person, and then do it. The way the 4.1 software seems to work is that it allows you to use the other persons Apple ID instead. Which means facetime won't be limited to people with a phone number.

Thats exactly what I said. You call the person, and then do it. The way the 4.1 software seems to work is that it allows you to use the other persons Apple ID instead. Which means facetime won't be limited to people with a phone number.

Misunderstood you then. This would make sense.

This image pretty much confirms that to use FaceTime with the iPod touch 4G you'll be using people's Apple ID/account names:

ipodtouch2n.jpg

Works for me...

They said it could use iMovie or whatever, which needs that ram. Pretty sure it was said somewhere that is why it isn't on the 3gs.

I would say it's a pretty safe bet it has 512.

most any internet connected device is location aware.... they just use their ip/subnet and map it to a known location list...
So you're saying the blue dot at that link is the wi-fi hotspot's location, not the user?

What does the outer circle represent, the margin of error in the location estimate?

haha the old ipod touches wont see much of a discount, since everyone just goes "oh ill wait and then theyll totally go on sale!", it never really happens to a degree that makes it worth picking up. If you wanted a touch for cheap walmart had 25% cashback at one point... that deal is long gone. Use the money towards a new ipod touch and then just keep it in mint condition and sell it me thinks when a new one comes out.

Back