• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

buying acrylic online?

Elleric

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 28, 2006
Messages
107
I have been buying my acrylic from Lowes up to now, but now i am looking for something more then just clear acrylic.

Where is a good place online to order translucent colored, uv reactive, mirrored, specialty acrylic sheets?

thanks in advance :)
-El
 
I have found both USPlastics and TAP plastic have good selections of most things thank you.

The only thing i havent been able to find is UV reactive acrylic. I have seen acrylic that in the light looks almost completely clear, but under a blacklight turns blue...

any ideas on where to obtain stuff like this?

thanks agian
-El
 
There are many places I deal with as far as acrylic goes, being that my other hobby is reef aquariums and I tend to DIY all sorts of smaller tanks, sumps, reactors, filters, etc.

You can go with larger places like TAP and US, but I find smaller shops nicer to deal with. At that, these places might not have as much variety of materials, as most everything in 'reefing' is black, blue, or clear...but they can get it easily. Many of these places have CNC controlled drills and routers, and sometimes access to laser cutters.

The last place I dealt with was www.myreefcreations.com. CNC router/drill on hand.
For laser cutting (up to 3/8" thick material) www.firstclassaquatics.com
I have dealt with and do great work... www.barraquatic.com

Make no mistake, they might have pre-made equipment and look like big operations, but most of these guys are 1-3 man operations where there are just a few very skilled guys. They will all do DIY/custom stuff, and for rather cheap.

Thats how Im making an external res for my passive water cooling rig...if you look at a 'calcium reactor' at any of the sites above...just imagine a 6' tall acrylic pipe with a locking flange at the top for a res...oooooooo.
 
Don't forget about local places. If you live in a decent sized city, you should be able to find a place that will sell you scraps for dirt cheap. You can usually get piecs big enough to do just about anything in a case, and depending on what they do they will have lots of differnt colors. I've even got the clear UV reactive stuff. Just be friendly and if you go there often enough they will save the extra good stuff for you.
 
Back
Top