Buying a video card for my GF.

[v]@bans

Limp Gawd
She plays WoW and has a HP Pavilion A1206N Desktop PC and needs a video card. I went to HP's site and it says there is 1 PCI express slot but the slot looks like a PCI Express x16. I was wondering if anyone on here had some insight on the correct information on this is PCI Express 1 or 16?

I have a PC I built and don't have the foggiest idea how the A1206N is really setup. Thanks in advance..

whatever you decide, tell her someone else did the work and blame it on them when it doesn't go perfectly, which with women, nothing is ever perfect enough.
just saying

Ok, so would using a PCI Express 16 work but rather just be clocked down for it?

Yes, it will work. PCI X16 cards are backwards compatible to work in a PCIe 1 slot. Pop in a Radeon HD 4670 video card. You should be good. The Radeon HD 4670 does not require an additional 6 pin PCI-E power connector.

The picture diagram of the board layout on the HP site looks like it has a PCI-Express x16-sized slot, labeled PCIEX1 (as in, the first PCI-E slot). To determine the speed of the slot, run CPUZ, as there is no definitive answer online that I could find. I've found other HP systems using that same board and denoting that the PCI-E slot was in fact 16x.

If you have a PCI-E 1x-sized slot, without an open backend, then a PCI-E 16x card would not fit. However, it is possible to have a PCI-E 16x-sized slot, but only runs at 1x speed.

edit: found a pic online, http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/2285/dsc00879cq9.jpg ... it looks like all the electrical pins are there for a full 16x speed. You can look at yours, too. But its best to run CPU-Z.

Last edited:
FYI for anyone else who may have this board. I ran CPU-Z and it is PCI-E 16x. Figured I'd pass on info.

[v]@bans;1034156258 said:
FYI for anyone else who may have this board. I ran CPU-Z and it is PCI-E 16x. Figured I'd pass on info.

Thanks for the update!

Back