• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Buying a tripod, need advice.

blip

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 29, 2003
Messages
346
I'm thinking about buying a tripod for my Canon A70. It will be used primarily for landscape and architectural photography. Generally, I enjoy taking pictures in the evening so I need a tripod that will help me take sharp pictures at low-shutter speeds.

I'd like a medium weight tripod that is relatively easy to set-up. Also, ideally, I would like one that has a bubble-level or other leveling mechanism built in.

The problem is right now I'm only looking to spend $20-50 on one and everything I'm reading seems to suggest that tripods under $100 are bad investments.

Does anyone know of a decent tripod in the $20-50 price range? Or should I hold off buying until I can get a more expensive one?

Thanks in advance.
 
My parents bought me my first one from like Circuit City or something...was around $30 I believe. I'm getting ready to buy a bogen monopod though :]
 
I got mine from Ritz, and it was only about 30ish. I think its great, it has multiple bubble levels and secures nicely. Its a good match for the A70(which I own too).
Drew
 
Originally posted by DruSi3r
I got mine from Ritz, and it was only about 30ish. I think its great, it has multiple bubble levels and secures nicely. Its a good match for the A70(which I own too).
Drew

Hmmm... I may have to look into that.

Right now I'm looking at this one . Slik is a good name and the price is right... anyone have an opinion on it?
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a Slik. Havent had any problems with it at all. I have a monopod as, well. I dont have a model with a level though, I never really need one.
 
yeah, you can find some pretty nice tripods at Wally-World easily for $20.

now grant it, they arent gonna be professinal grade and I wouldnt trust them with my 5lb.+ camera/lens setup, but then again, your A70 doesnt weigh jack so it really wouldnt matter.

a Wally-World tripod would do you just fine.
 
Originally posted by ozziegn
yeah, you can find some pretty nice tripods at Wally-World easily for $20.

now grant it, they arent gonna be professinal grade and I wouldnt trust them with my 5lb.+ camera/lens setup, but then again, your A70 doesnt weigh jack so it really wouldnt matter.

a Wally-World tripod would do you just fine.

Good point... I'd guess the A70 weighs maybe a pound at most so my requirements for a decent tripod are relatively mild... I grew up with a landscape photographer for a father so I suppose I tend towards wanting something overly solid.

I guess my priorities for the tripod are that it be:
1) Reliable (don't want to have to replace it until I upgrade my camera system in a few years)
2) Light (don't need the weight to stabilize that light of a camera)
3) Easy to set-up
4) Easy to get level (either because it has a leveling device or just because it is easy to adjust while eye-balling the level)

Anyone have any other specific suggestions? I think I'm going to wander downtown and poke around to see if I can find any deals... Will report back.
 
Does one need to buy a tripod that is specifically compatable for one's cameras, or do they all work interchangibly?

I ask because I'd like to get a tripod for my Canon A80.
 
Originally posted by Lord Chambers
Does one need to buy a tripod that is specifically compatable for one's cameras, or do they all work interchangibly?

I ask because I'd like to get a tripod for my Canon A80.

As I understand it 90% of the time you are a-okay... some of the heavier tripods have larger threadings on them (sometimes) I think for putting on super-heavy medium-format cameras and that sort of stuff. Also, there is probably the occasional camera that is different just to be different! However, the thread on the A70 (and all Canons I would presume) is pretty standard.
 
Originally posted by agentzero9
Try Target or Walmart. They both have good $20 models.

That seems to be the general consensus. I think I'll try to check out Target tommorrow. (I've signed a boycott pledge against Walmart for their labor practices etc.)

I made a run down to the local shutterbug and had a good chat with one of their salesmen about tripods... He was really hyped on Sunpak tripods for a good value. Of course their prices were around twice what I can find online!

Anyway, the one that looked the most interesting to me was this Sunpak 6601T. Anyone have experience with this tripod or with Sunpaks in general? Other suggestions?
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Originally posted by blip
(I've signed a boycott pledge against Walmart for their labor practices etc.)


I like that.

I've signed a personal pledge in my brain against Wal-Mart in general.

Why? because it cheezes my butt how Uncle Sam is always breathin' down company's throats like Microsoft for accusing them of trying to become a monopoly but yet companies like Wal-Mart who have damn near run every single small, mom-n-pop business out of business and yet Uncle Sam doesnt do a damn thing about that.

Just think of how many people have been put out of jobs because of small businesses closing from giants like Wal-Mart moving into the neighborhood.

(sorry for the thread hyjack, I had to vent some Wally-World steam. :D )
 
Originally posted by ozziegn
I like that.

I've signed a personal pledge in my brain against Wal-Mart in general.

Why? because it cheezes my butt how Uncle Sam is always breathin' down company's throats like Microsoft for accusing them of trying to become a monopoly but yet companies like Wal-Mart who have damn near run every single small, mom-n-pop business out of business and yet Uncle Sam doesnt do a damn thing about that.

Just think of how many people have been put out of jobs because of small businesses closing from giants like Wal-Mart moving into the neighborhood.

(sorry for the thread hyjack, I had to vent some Wally-World steam. :D )

As much as I hate to say it, I shop there ALOT, due to their awesome prices. Name ONE OTHER place where you can get Fruity/Cocoa Pebbles for <$2.00. :p
 
No worries ozzie, always good to hear that I'm not the only one.

Didn't have a chance to check target today... Anyway, I decided to make a list of the tripods that seem to work from Amazon:

Sunpak Sunpak 8001UT Tripod with Quick Release, Bubble Level and 3-Way Panhead

SLIK TRIPODS U9000 Heavy Duty Tripod

Vanguard MK-4 Heavy-Duty Tripod with Carrying Handle

Right now I'm leaning towards the Sunpak because it is the only one I have actually seen and it seemed pretty stable.

Anyone have any experience with these tripods or something similar or general observations on the company.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i bought a mini one from best buy for ten bucks...i like it, and it can travel with me easily...just a pain if you have no leverage
 

Those tripods look very small, and they don't list their total height, so how safe is it to assume they aren't just table top tripods? Presumably they all have legs that extend, but as a newbie, I don't know whether it's completely laughable to even worry about that.

What good is a bubble tube? I can't think of an instance where you'd need to be gravitationally sure your camera is level. I figure the eye could do the job.

And if anyone wants to take this opportunity to enlighten me on the critieria for choosing a tripod, I'd appreciate it. Right now all I'm really aware of is the wieght it can support (which doesn't really matter to me since I've just got an A80 with no lenses), and price.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
They are multi-section collapseable tripods in that while they extend out to around 60' each they can collapse down to something about the size of a table tripod.

The bubble level just makes things a little easier. It gives you some visual feedback while you are composing your shot making you all the more sure that you have everything level. Minor leveling errors can become much more irritating after you have blown the image up. I guess you could say that it just lets you worry about one less thing.

The criteria for selecting a tripod are pretty diverse. First it has to be strong enough to support your gear. Second, you need it to be rigid enough to maintain a high-level of stability during a long-exposure. Third, it needs to be heavy enough to maintain stability in the wind. Fourth, it needs to have a pivot that is loose enough to facilitate composition but tight enough to support your camera. Fifth, it needs to be easy to set-up so that you can quickly deploy and break it down. Finally, it needs to be light enough that you don't mind carrying it around with you.

In my eyes, there are no cheap tripods that meet all these requirements perfectly so I'm looking for one that does good at the two that are important to me: stability and easy setup/adjustment.
 
slik is the cheapest good tripod you can get imho. There might be other brands.
But for me I'll go with bogen 3001. Cheap and sturdy enough for most situation - you can take out the center column to get almost near ground lvling.
 
Originally posted by wolfio
slik is the cheapest good tripod you can get imho. There might be other brands.

That's basically my dillema. Slik is a better known brand so generally I would just go with it... but on the other hand the Sunpak comes with a lot of nice extras. Most important to me it comes with a lifetime warranty that a guy at a camera shop said is truly comprehensive. Also, it comes with an extra quick release which could come in handy. Plus its $10 cheapers.

So in other words I can either get a tripod from a brand that I trust or I can get a tripod from a brand I don't know about with lots of little perks. Dahh! Anyway, that's why I'm really hoping somebody has had some experience with Sunpak and can help me out with an opinion.
 
it's kindda depend on the impression of the build quality when you were checking out the tripod. You can tell which is better quite easily. I love my bogen - it's built like a tank..well almost.
I've had mine for almost 5 years and it's still going strong.
 
Well I decided to go with the sunpak... better features and warranty than the silk at slightly less weight.

Thanks for all of your help everyone and I'll report more when I get it.
 
Just checking to see if you got you're Sunpak tripod yet? I too am trying to decide which Tripod to order, Some better pictures and you're impression of it would be much appriciated.

-Matt :cool:
 
I just got the tripod yesterday. I'm on the run right now, but I'll post later with my impressions.

The summary of my impressions is that the tripod is great but a little on the light side. A great deal for the price though.

Anyway, I'll post some pictures and more complete impressions later.
 
Back
Top