Buying a tablet

buschman31

2[H]4U
I'm will be considering buying an android tablet and have the following ones in mind:

LG G 8.3

Sony xperia Z

Asus TF700/701

If any members that have one of the following, I would like to get their response on their use of that particular tablet.

What makes you interested in these three in particular?

The LG for example is a different size category.

Of the bunch? LG G Pad 8.3. It has the fastest hardware (both the Xperia Z Tablet and TF700/701 are old) and a good experience overall.

You may also want to consider the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, since it's still hanging around ($330 on sale at Best Buy) and boasts both higher speed and a sharper display than the G Pad. Don't get the Tab S 8.4; it's slower than equivalent Android tablets and iPads.

I suggest looking at the LG G Pad 8.3 in person because the one I saw displayed muddy colors like dirty white and the Snapdragon 600 is relatively weak compared to what's out there.

Suggest waiting for new product announcements within the next few months or if you must buy now look at the Galaxy Tab S series for the best SAMOLED display or the Galaxy Tab Pro series for the better Snapdragon 800 SoC. With that said Exynos 5420 on the Galaxy Tab S isn't bad as I was test driving one yesterday and it does 54 fps in Epic Citadel benchmark at highest performance setting. Ideal is Galaxy Tab S LTE version with Snapdragon 800 in 8.4" since it's large enough where everything is legible without zooming while still comfortable to cup in one hand without requiring mutated gorilla hand like with the awkwardly wide iPad Minis. Surprised Apple doesn't include finger extensions.

I own the LG G Pad and love it. Previously owned the Samsung Pro 8.4 and absolutely hated it. If I had perfect vision and it wasn't loaded with all the extra crap it would have been different. A lot of the text size is fixed and even with glasses I couldn't read it.

The LG does have a warm temp screen which can be easily corrected with a kernel change and Faux Kernel software. As far as speed even though the Samsung had a better processor in day to day use the LG is smoother and faster. I haven't ran across one single app or game that struggled to run on the LG :)

All the benchmarks are way faster on the Samsung. But I don't play benchmarks :) I'll try and run it later for shits and giggles.

Edit how big is that benchmark?

Well for whatever reason I cannot run @ Ultra High Quality. But I ran it @ High Performance 1920x1120 and got 50.0 fps.

Edit figured out how to change the settings finally and got 26.6 .

It's not a useless synthetic benchmark but an actual game engine benchmark. That and Anomaly 2 benchmark. If I recall it's about 100MB but just run then remove.

Well from the games I've ran they were all smooth with no issues and that's all I care about. If my monitoring program is correct it was 189 MB. I'm sure probably in a year it'll be crawling with the new games that come out :(

Do you have the Samsung Pro? I'm curious if they ever fixed the scaling issue.

ok I just purchased a sony xperia z tablet. like to know if any members have this tablet and their experience using it.

Not sure why anyone would buy anything other than a Tab S.

ok I just purchased a sony xperia z tablet. like to know if any members have this tablet and their experience using it.

That's interesting considering no one in this thread recommended it. What made you decide on it?

Back