Buying a router

vinnie

[H]ard|Gawd
Buying a router
Tired of ICS and confusion, going for a router.

Choices are limited as I'm on Bigpond Cable- one of very few I believe that use a 'heartbeat' system that gets fu><0red with most setups, ie will drop out every 5-7 minutes under most setups. Special router required.

Decision I've come down to is a Linksys BEFSR41 Cable/DSL IP Router w/ 4-Port.

Firstly- anyone know of any reason why it's not a good choice? Motorola surfboard cable modem, my comp has a realtek 10/100 and is running XP, other comp has an antique 3M 10mbps card and is running win95.

A third computer is likely to be connected with an as yet undecided card, running windows 98. A fourth running an undecided OS with an undecided card is a distinct possibility at some point too.

Second- any basic do's/don'ts I should know about with routers? I'm running around reading and printing stuff now before I start fiddling. I figure I'm relatively competent and have no problems with reading manuals, but anything anyone thinks is relevant I'd be happy to know :) I'll hit up the FAQ here, anything else people think I should know would be great though.

Cliff Notes
1) Buying a router- Linksys BEFSR41
2) Anything negative I should know about it or Linksys in general?
3) Anything absolutely essential for router installation not covered in FAQ that I should know?

Cheers. :)

I have that same router, the first week I had it I had to powercycle it about 5 times, other then that it's been running strong since, the odd time it'll crap out and a powercycle is needed, but other then that it's great

if I had to buy a router again i'd go with it...was plug and play (which is not fun, but sure makes life easy)

I think linksys.com has a descent amount of information, and the manual it comes with is fairly straight forward...if your into that sort of thing :D :eek:

Linksys BEFSR41 Cable/DSL IP Router w/ 4-Port has been working great for me.
The only problem I ever had with it was a firmware flash that was not really an upgrade. That was a few versions ago though, and the latest ver. is working fine.

Back