Buying a PS3 on Thursday...games?

Gigantism

Gawd
Hello all,

I'm a long time PC gamer, and haven't owned a console since the PS1 (my Wii doesn't count lol). My gf has a 360, and I started playing around with it and had quite some fun so far (Soulcalibur 4, Dante's inferno, FIFA 10, etc...).

Now, GOW 3 is coming out, and I've decided to just get the damn thing!

I know I really wanted to play MGS4 when it came out, and I will borrow it from a friend.
Also, I heard how good of a game Uncharted 1 & 2 were so I will borrow that too.

I will be getting LBP for my gf too, as I know she will enjoy the game.

Can you guys think of any other game I should get for PS3?

Thanks.

Killzone 2
Resistance 1 and 2
Heavenly Sword
MGS4
Folklore
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time

There's a start.

MAG
KillZone 2
InFamous
Resistance
MGS 4
Dante's Inferno
Uncharted 2
God Of War 3

Last edited:
These first 3 really define the console for me, they're all exclusives and they're all worth buying the console for by themselves.

Uncharted 2
Heavenly Sword
MGS4

Darksiders
FF XIII
Resistance 2
Bayonetta
This could go on for a long, long time...

Actually, from all the games that were suggested to me, it's the first time heavenly swords was mentioned (and not only once).
Is that game really that good? From the vids, it would almost seem like GOW with a chick...which would mean that it could be a super good game indeed...
Infamous was mentioned a few times too...For some reason I can't help but associate it with Prototype (which was sub par IMO).
But yeah, I agree, it's GOW month for sure :)

Considering you said that you haven't owned a console since the PS1 then I take it you haven't played God of War 1 and 2. If you haven't, I'd definitely pick up and play God of War Collection for the PS3 prior to playing God of War 3.

I would also recommend Killzone 2, Infamous and Resistance 1/2. I haven't played the Uncharted games other than the demos but I wasn't too fond of what I played, gunplay is just not my style. Which brings up another point, play some of the demos of games you plan on getting so you can get a general gist of if you want to spend the cash for them.

I've been spending alot of time on demons souls, but this game is supa hard, be warned.

I've been spending alot of time on demons souls, but this game is supa hard, be warned.

Thanks for the warning...I don't have time to spend an hour trying to find a key for some door, or repeating the same stage over and over because I keep dying.

Thanks!

since you havent owned a PS2 I recommend that you get all the great ps2 games you missed.(assuming your going to get a BC ps3) Plus for the price of 1 ps3 game you can get a few used ps2 games.

Heavenly Sword is AWESOME but short as hell. I enjoyed it tons, and the way motion controls were used made some sections alot more fun once you got the hang of it.

Oh and Gollum/Andy Serkais(?) was the voice acting director and the voice of the main baddy. Production quality, animations are top notch.

If you buy Demon's Souls and beat it, that will really be an achievement

I've had it for months and not come anywhere near beating it. Think I've killed 3 of the major demons? Haven't played much since the initial obsession phase; it's just as difficult as people claim, at least for me. I've never held myself out as "hardcore" though. Great game, but extremely frustrating at times. Unforgiving. No hand holding, and often little to no direction at all.

What's the difference between the basic and deluxe edition, anyway?

Demon's Souls is frustratingly! you have no checkpoints or any abilities to save. If you die you will start at the beginning of the level and you must traverse the whole level again. And the enemies are not easy to kill. Demon's Souls is just for skillful RPG Players who don't give up if its coming acute ;)

What's the difference between the basic and deluxe edition, anyway?

Deluxe Edition is with Artbook, Soundtrack CD and Guide but it is OOP

Last edited:
As others have said:

Uncharted 1 and 2
Little Big Planet
God of War Collection
Demon's Souls
Infamous

I'd add:
FIFA 10 (if you like soccer, of course).
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Katamari Forever

And I know I'm generally the odd man out on this one, but I thought MGS4 was HUGELY overrated. Though I guess if you skip the shitty cutscenes and just play the game it'll be more tolerable.

add mlb the show 10 , ratchet and clank crack in time & tools of destruction, MSG4 , God of war 3

Uncharted 2 was my 2009 GOTY, all platforms including PC included. It is a must buy.

I would also pick up Demon's Souls, God Of War 1 through 3, and PSN downloads like PixelJunk Monsters, PixelJunk Shooter, Critter Crunch, and Flower.

Yeah, that's a good start. :)

Aaight so I secured myself:
MGS4, Uncharted 1 & 2.

I also bought GOW collection, and will get GOW3 used when I'm finished with the first 2.

That should be enough for now.

Prolly gonna get Heavenly swords used in a while too.
I already own FIFA 10 on 360, so I'm good.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

1: Metal Gear 4 for sure (good 4 you)
2: Uncharted 1 and 2 (SAME AS 1)
3: God Of War III
4: Resistance 1 and 2

Anyone know of any good Playstation network exclusive games, I just got Wipeout HD and I'm loving it any other recommendations?

Anyone know of any good Playstation network exclusive games, I just got Wipeout HD and I'm loving it any other recommendations?

Flower is awesome, very surreal,

Like in a tripping on X way:D

And...
Hustle Kings
Pixel Junk Shooter
Fat Princess
Ragdoll Kungfu
Shatter
Pain is amusing for like an hour
Fury pack for Wipeout HD
SSF HD
WarHawk

If you like Wipeout HD grab the Fury expansion at some point. It adds a good bit more content. I'm personally waiting for the first "real" PS3 exclusive Wipeout game which has been in development for quite some time -- Wipeout HD is mostly a rehash of Wipeout Pulse for the PSP with higher detail models. It's a great game though, I do love it.

I tried the fat princess demo and thought that was a cool game. :p Give it a try. I might buy it, but haven't heard if it's worth the $15. I also got critter crunch and that's a pretty fun game too and I believe there is a demo for it as well.

I've heard the pixel junk games are good, but I've only played Pixel Junk's Eden, which I thought was a pretty unique physics game.

OMG!
I remember playing Wipeout on PC like 10 years ago +

I would love to play an new Wipeout game on the PS3 (something my gf would love also).

Is Wipeout HD worth it (how much does it cost)? or should I wait for a full release of a new Wipeout for PS3 (like a poster above mentioned)?

Thanks!

I heard nothing but good things about Wipeout HD

but be warned, the learning curve on it is MUCH steeper than it was on past games.

Also, if you have a PSP, they have 2 wipeout games, to my knowledge

OMG!

I would love to play an new Wipeout game on the PS3 (something my gf would love also).

Is Wipeout HD worth it (how much does it cost)? or should I wait for a full release of a new Wipeout for PS3 (like a poster above mentioned)?

Thanks!

http://us.playstation.com/games-and-media/games/wipeout-hd-ps3.html

Definitely worth it, I think it's $15 or so now? Started at $20, might be down to $10. I've owned it for a long time. I'd also recommend you get the Fury expansion for it, though I'd probably wait for that (plenty of content without it to start) unless they're running some kind of package deal now.

It's especially worth it if you haven't played Wipeout Pure and Wipeout Pulse for PSP, since that's where they got most (but not all) of the tracks for HD from. Please don't misunderstand what I wrote above -- it's a full game, there are hours of first time playthrough available there, and lots of challenges to work on after that. 8 tracks in the "main" game, and an additional 8 tracks in the expansion, lots of teams, things to unlock... it's a great game.

Visuals are some of the slickest and cleanest currently available on any system. This is one of few true native 1080P games (without upscaling) available for the PS3 or 360. The music selection is pretty much perfect for the game, and you can use your own if you want.

If you haven't played since the original WipEout for PS1/Saturn/PC it'll probably take some time to get used to; the series has sped up considerably in the last 10+ years, leaving WipEout (1) looking like a comparative slide-show. In addition to HD I'd strongly recommend you go pick up WipEout 2097 (2) and WipEout 3 for PS1 if you can find them, and Wipeout Fusion for PS2 if you have a backwards compatible PS3.

All that said, the learning curve for HD is not overwhelming, and they even added "pilot assist" to help keep you away from the walls (which of course you can turn off, and should once you get the hang of things) while you're learning.

I think I've rambled enough. Don't forget about air brakes and have fun!

http://us.playstation.com/games-and-media/games/wipeout-hd-ps3.html

Definitely worth it, I think it's $15 or so now? Started at $20, might be down to $10. I've owned it for a long time. I'd also recommend you get the Fury expansion for it, though I'd probably wait for that (plenty of content without it to start) unless they're running some kind of package deal now.

It's especially worth it if you haven't played Wipeout Pure and Wipeout Pulse for PSP, since that's where they got most (but not all) of the tracks for HD from. Please don't misunderstand what I wrote above -- it's a full game, there are hours of first time playthrough available there, and lots of challenges to work on after that. 8 tracks in the "main" game, and an additional 8 tracks in the expansion, lots of teams, things to unlock... it's a great game.

Visuals are some of the slickest and cleanest currently available on any system. This is one of few true native 1080P games (without upscaling) available for the PS3 or 360. The music selection is pretty much perfect for the game, and you can use your own if you want.

If you haven't played since the original WipEout for PS1/Saturn/PC it'll probably take some time to get used to; the series has sped up considerably in the last 10+ years, leaving WipEout (1) looking like a comparative slide-show. In addition to HD I'd strongly recommend you go pick up WipEout 2097 (2) and WipEout 3 for PS1 if you can find them, and Wipeout Fusion for PS2 if you have a backwards compatible PS3.

All that said, the learning curve for HD is not overwhelming, and they even added "pilot assist" to help keep you away from the walls (which of course you can turn off, and should once you get the hang of things) while you're learning.

I think I've rambled enough. Don't forget about air brakes and have fun!

HAHA cool!
I stand corrected, the last Wipeout game I played was 2097 (on PS1 I believe).

I have not played any other wipeout since then (don't own a psp).
Also, I will have my ps3 tomorrow, and from what I understand they are not BC with PS2 games anymore :(

Oh well...HD it is!
:D

Flower is awesome, very surreal,

Like in a tripping on X way:D

And...
Hustle Kings
Pixel Junk Shooter
Fat Princess
Ragdoll Kungfu
Shatter
Pain is amusing for like an hour
Fury pack for Wipeout HD
SSF HD
WarHawk

You forgot Super Stardust HD with its 2 expansions.

Its basicly asteroids on steriods. Good soundtrack, arcade like feel, and lots of replay value in trying to go for that high score on the global leaderboards.

OMG!

Thanks!

If you get Wipeout HD, buy the Fury pack when you purchase it, you will not regret it a bit. And yea it's worth it with the fury pack it's better than 60% of the retail games out there.

If you could gift games instead of having to use account info to redownload I'd hook ya up.

If you like strategy squad based games and don't have anime allergy you will greatly enjoy Valkyria Chronicles.

Also i love Super Stardust HD and Wipeout HD.
BTW you can get wipeout+fury on blue-ray (at least in europe you can)

Back