• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Buying a Plasma TV as computer screen!

1st.Proplayer

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 15, 2003
Messages
170
I am seriously thinking of buying a Plasma TV as my computer screen and TV also. The main reason being I have lots of movies and I would love to be able to see them in a big widescreen TV, on top of that they are getting very cheap.

anyone recommends a specific TV to buy?

Is it better to purchase a plasma or 3 Dell 20 inch LCDs

Thanks
 
I've heard that Plasma screens don't last very long. Thought about getting a projector? Someone on the forums was using one to play Doom 3.
 
I heard plasma screens were highly prone to burn-in, and if that is so, using a computer on it would probably be a very bad idea.. I bet the Windows taskbar would burn in pretty quickly.
 
Kek said:
I've heard that Plasma screens don't last very long.

Hmm, where did you hear this? The only thing I am aware when dealing with Plasma Tvs is that depending on your use, the owner needs to have the "plasma" replaced within the screen. Which of course can cost money if done by a professional (which usually is done 99.9% of the time).

I could see maybe some burn-in, but I assume that's from more cheaper companies.
 
Burn-in is what I was referring to. Someone posted here about a year ago that they had a plasma TV at his workplace that was always tuned in to CNN. After some time, the CNN logo was burned into the screen.

If you use one as a secondary display, can you configure it to only show video files that you're playing? I know that if I connect my laptop to a TV, movies always play in full-screen on the TV, even if they are windowed on the LCD screen. I'm not sure if it can be set to not show my windows folders, taskbar, etc, on the TV.
 
a true hd tv cost at least $5000 to my knowledge. that's because true hdtv resolution is 1900x1200 resolution and only the ones that cost that much are the ones that have that.
 
If you are really interested in getting a plasma to run your cpu through then you need to do more research. IMO these forums are not the best place. Try avsforum.com
The burn in will DEFINITELY be a problem. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.
 
People have some crazy ideas when it comes to displays. =]

You do NOT refill a plasma display, the gas never goes anywhere or gets used up in the first place. What does wear out is the phosphor coating on the surface of the display cells, this is exactly like with a CRT monitor.

In any case, its best you head over to avsforum.com and check out their flat panel forum, there is alot of info on plasmas and lcd-tvs there.
 
Back
Top