• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Buying a new mac mini

px-l890sa

n00b
Joined
Oct 17, 2011
Messages
44
This is my second big apple buy, and second Mac mini.
Should I wait is Apple going to release new Mac mini 2012 versions?
 
the mac mini is mid cycle right now, and if it does get updated....expect a small incremental refresh...like the macbook pros just got...100mhz more on the processor, maybe the 750gb hard drive (doubtful due to flooding over seas) and MAYBE a slight bump in the video card. I personally wouldn't consider a mac mini to be a "big" apple buy though.
 
I agree. I wouldn't consider Mac Mini's to be big buys, definitely the buy cheap sell cheap Mac of the lot. Not to say that's a bad thing at all! If anything I would look on picking them up as cheap as possible on eBay or Craigslist as they can be had for super cheap.
 
The high school where I work at bought 64 of them recently. They were the i5 2gb version. They arnt to shabby. If you can find one of them cheap I would recommend it.
 
I would wait for the refresh. I'd bet they're going to put an ivybridge cpu in, which not only means lower power consumption and overall better performance, but apple might also put a quad in the base mini due to the lower power consumption. The golden rule though is, if you have to have it now, buy it. It's not going to be anything paradigm shifting, but if you can wait, wait. This is especially true with apple products since they're yearly refreshes.
 
if you NEED it now, buy it now. If you can wait, wait for the next model :) They only get better each time around the upgrade block..............
 
I would wait for the refresh. I'd bet they're going to put an ivybridge cpu in, which not only means lower power consumption and overall better performance, but apple might also put a quad in the base mini due to the lower power consumption. The golden rule though is, if you have to have it now, buy it. It's not going to be anything paradigm shifting, but if you can wait, wait. This is especially true with apple products since they're yearly refreshes.

the 13" MBP has a max TDP of 35w and the lowest TDP of the ivybridge quad core is 45w. Not sure what is in store for the Mac Mini, but im betting the TDP is somewhere along those lines (mac mini server processor is a 45w chip). Highly doubtful the Mac Mini will get ivybridge before the rest of its lineup does. I fully expect the only quad core option for the mini to stay in the server model.
 
Back
Top