• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Buying a new display

natermeister

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 26, 2005
Messages
463
I'm in the market for a 20.1" LCD. I've narrowed it down to three contenders.

Dell 2001FP
Viewsonic VP2030b
Samsung 204T

The Dell seems to be a perenial favorite, the Viewsonic has the best specs but is also the most expensive and the Samsung falls somewhere in between. I'd really like some opinions before I put down $500 or $600 on a new monitor.

Thanks,

-Nater
 
I hear the 2001FP isn't so good for gaming as it's an older panel with a pretty mediocre response time. I'd probably go with Viewsonic, as I've owned a number of Viewsonic monitors in the past and had good experiences with them.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to wait for the VX2025wm that nutop linked to if you're interested in widescreen monitors - they're the future and stuff. I thought it was going to retail for a good deal more than $449. I'll have to cancel my search for a VA1912wb and wait for Buy.com to get this one in. Although a decent chunk of cash more than the VA1912wb for only 1.1" more screen size, I find it a lot more aesthetically pleasing (although it's a shame there's still no vertical stand adjustment).
 
To meet the growing demands of visual enthusiasts, such as avid PC gamers who want faster and larger screen formats, ViewSonic has added the 20-inch VX2025wm to its Xtreme LCD Series. The VX2025wm delivers brilliant color rendition, crystal-clear moving images and photo-realistic image quality through a high resolution of 1680x1050, 300 nits of brightness and a 600:1 contrast ratio. For an estimated street price (ESP) of $449, ViewSonic has taken the multi-purpose entertainment system to a new level with its stylish slim-bezel black cabinet and hidden integrated stereo speakers.

http://www.eeproductcenter.com/showPressRelease.jhtml?articleID=414336
 
I'm myself also looking for 20" 1600x1200 monitor (not like VX2025wm that has 1680x1050
pixels).

I had the Dell 2001FP, otherwise ok, but it has ridiculously high brightness even on
minimum setting, and the color balance was somehow strange, so I returned it.

From specifications VP2030B looks good, but how much vendor lies ? Response is
16 ms (black-to-white) (also specified 8 ms gray-to-gray, but what is low and high
gray ?), but it's MVA lcd, that might have big response times (~60ms) on black-to-gray
areas. Anyone has seen reviews or has experiences from this LCD ?

Samsung 204T, It's PVA lcd, also had been problems in response on black-to-gray areas,
and some user comments also conclude that. Anyone has seen reviews or has experiences from this LCD ?
 
Back
Top