Buying a LCD Monitor or a LCD Tv?

XxXxXxX

n00b
Hello guys,

I am planning to sell off my Dell U2412M monitor as I would like to upgrade to a bigger screen. My budget allows me to get the dell U2913WM. With the same budget, I could get a 42" 1080P TV as well.

My usage is about:

60% Reading Sites
30% Movie / Tv Show
10% Gaming (Xbox360)

What would your suggestion be? I am in Malaysia therefore, we might not have the same models in USA.

If you have the space and the money then check out the Panasonic TX-P42GT60B Plasma TV or you can buy one of the new MVA+ Monitors (BenQ 2760HS, Samsung S27C750P, Asus VN279QLB).
For a use case of 60% reading, plasmas are not a good choice. Lean towards Outbreaker's MVA+ recommendations, or choose a good LCD.

If you are someone who want plasma-like motion in an LCD, choose a HDTV that has a Game Mode compatible strobe backlight (low-latency and interpolation-free). They allow blur-free Game Mode (similiar to LightBoost motion blur elimination). Currently, the main widely-confirmed one is Sony's Motionflow Impulse.

If refresh rate is not important during reading, another idea is the SEIKI 4K HDTV (50" model) for ~$1199, which is actually a VA panel itself. You'll want to switch to 1920x1080@120Hz for gaming though, as it only does 30Hz at 4K.

Your percentages are roughly the same as me, but I do lots of work (design) also.
Font size is great and not hard on the eyes.
Great use for monitor with the plus side of gaming (console or PC).
If I want to use it as a TV, just change the mode.

I have a 40" Sharp Aquos LED LCD and I will never look back...

Your percentages are roughly the same as me, but I do lots of work (design) also.
Font size is great and not hard on the eyes.
Great use for monitor with the plus side of gaming (console or PC).
If I want to use it as a TV, just change the mode.

I have a 40" Sharp Aquos LED LCD and I will never look back...

I don't suppose there's a site somewhere that tracks 'TV' LCD panels in terms of PC use? Things like input lag, 'raw' input capability (no overscan, 4-4-4, etc.), etc.? I know there's a thread here somewhere that tracked some of that data, but it doesn't appear on the FP anymore so I assume it's out of date. The Blur Buster blog has some data on overclockable sets, but it's not getting a lot of info either.

If they'd solve the firmware issue on the smaller Seiki, it might be the perfect large format gaming monitor, but as long as it's locked to 60Hz at 1080P I keep hearing there are far better 1080P TVs for PC gaming. The 4K desktop is also a nice draw, but since I game on my PC a lot the display will spend most of it's time in 1080P.

I was love the ultrawide format if it was bigger than 29". They aren't as big as you think due to the width. Check displaywars.com

Personally I think you should just go with a Korean 27" for your price range.

If you are someone who want plasma-like motion in an LCD, choose a HDTV that has a Game Mode compatible strobe backlight (low-latency and interpolation-free). They allow blur-free Game Mode (similiar to LightBoost motion blur elimination). Currently, the main widely-confirmed one is Sony's Motionflow Impulse.

Are there any TVs like this with 32" size ? All Sony ones are 40"+ which is too big for monitor replacement.

1920x1080 at 27" is already pushing boundaries of acceptable dot pitch. Same on 30-32" or even more is simply a joke, and never a good idea.

Why does the 40-65" TV looks fine then with that resolution ? Because you watch the TV from 1,5-2m minimum, while you usually look at display from 40-60cm maximum.

Back