Buying a 8800GTS, do I need a new power supply?

In all likelihood the PSU should be fine, even a pretty powerful system with an 8800 only draws like 350 watts BUT it isn't really something you cant to screw with since system instability can result. Antec claims you need something bigger (or did when I mailed them). It's not the total wattage that's the problem, but the 12v rails.

What I'd recommend is a Corsair HX series, either the 520 or 620. They are hands down the best power supplies I've ever encountered. I have a 620 personally and it is just great. They also have modular cords, and are extremely silent and efficient.

I second Sycraft, corsair's psu's are top notch and would be a fine choice. I'm running a 8800GTS with the 520W.:cool:

im using a cooler master real power 450 watt psu with an 8800GTS and I haven't experienced any problems. you'll be just fine.

A 550w PSU should be enough, but it's more important to look at the amperage on the 12v rails as noted already. Make sure it's enough or you might have issues.

I agree with going with Corsair or Seasonic. Awesome and very reliable PSUs.

Corsair, SeaSonic, XClio, Antec...all good PSU makers. I have an XClio GoodPower 500W and love it. Has never given me a problem.

A 550w PSU should be enough, but it's more important to look at the amperage on the 12v rails as noted already. Make sure it's enough or you might have issues.

I agree with going with Corsair or Seasonic. Awesome and very reliable PSUs.

What kind of amperage do I need?

i think it was at least 18 amps on the 12v rail but i'm prolly wrong :p

Specs for mine say they recommend 26 amps on the 12v rail. If you got dual 12v rails then just combine the amperage to get the result.

Well, I'm gonna stick with ole' reliable ;)

Just picked up a Evga 8800GTS 640...shipped to my door for $336. Thats a hell of a deal imho. I really wish I could have gone through newegg, but I went with zipzoomfly....I live in TN so I get charged sales tax with newegg but not zzf :(

Ahh, now the shipment waiting game...

The Antec Truepower 550 watt power supplies of the various flavors (original, II, Trio, EPS) should all be able to handle an 8800 GTS.

I am also in the same boat. I am wanting to get the 8800gts or perhaps even the 8800gtx. I currently have a OCZ modstream 520 and want to know if that is capable of handling either of the cards.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/oczmodstream520w/2.html

Thanks!

Your power supply can provide 28.0 amps on the 12 volt rails. BFG recommends 32.0 amps as a minimum for the 8800 GTX, and 28.0 for the 8800 GTS.

I would say that you can use a GTS, since those estimates are usually a bit high, but would be leery about using it with the GTX.

Back