Buying a 24" Sony FW900 CRT Monitor

Rob.

Limp Gawd
I'll be buying an FW900 tomorrow for $50 bucks. The seller wants $300 but its taking up room so he wants to get rid of it.
Manufacture date is JAN 2003
Heres the listing.

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and...SCREEN-CRT-GRAPHIC-DISPLAY-W0QQAdIdZ219179574

Is there anything I should test on it before buying ?
Also, when first installing it, will my windows XP Pro automatically recognize it ?
Also, what display resolution should I set it to ? I only use it for internet surfing.. no gaming,
Lastly, should I leave it on all the time with a screen saver ?
I read the on/off , hot/cold cycles puts more wear on the tube.

heres a picture of it.

thanks

2854bjm20.jpg

Ha, you posted the listing and now every [H] member in Canada is trying to offer $75 for it.

Sony has XP drivers for it that you should download, just google something like "sony fw900 xp drivers". I believe the recommended resolution is 1920x1200 but the actual maximum is 2304x1440 @ 80hz. I dunno on the other questions but for only $50, as long as it works and still looks reasonably good, I'd run away with it before the seller had a chance to change his mind.

The seller says he got it as a gift a few years back... quite expensive gift I assume.. who knows.
He hooked it up and he says it works perfect. :)

Shouldnt these CRT monitors last roughly 15-20 years before starting to fail ?
I mean our old CRT TV's still look and work perfect.

I wouldn't be turning it on and off all day long but if I were going to leave it for several hours I would turn it off.

For $50 all I would ask is to see a live picture on it.

Ok.. I understand what you would do, but is there any technical factual info about
turning CRT monitors on and off daily ?
I read that can cause more wear because of the degauss that it gets and the hot/cold cycles too.

If you don't want the monitor to wear then leave it in the closet. It's as simple as that.

If you left it on all the time, it would use up plenty of electricity and you would have to think about picture tube and phosphor life.

I would consider 15-20 years to be optimistic. A quick google search shows a couple of people throwing around a MTBF of 110k hours. That's about 12 years and you've only got 5 left.

Just turn it off every day and fuggedaboutit, IMHO.

Guys Help.
I installed my monitor and everything is so small now from windows to font sizes and icons etc..
what can I do ?

help.

It should be 1920x1200, since the monitor has a 16:10 ratio.

96dpi should be fine.

What monitor/resolution are you coming from?

Rob,

I had 2 of these Monitors. I would highly recommend you to install windows7 with this monitor!!!!!!!!
everything looks a lot nicer and sharper under windows 7. and the desktop fonts/size is 200% better

trust me, just do it

mike

I have it running 1280x960 now.. Looks better but still everything seems smaller than when I had 800x600 on my 4:3 crt :(

whats wrong with Windows XP ?

I have it running 1280x960 now.. Looks better but still everything seems smaller than when I had 800x600 on my 4:3 crt :(

whats wrong with Windows XP ?

If you are comparing the current icon/windows/text to icon/windows/text on 800x600, they WILL be smaller.

The higher the resolution the "smaller" the icons/windows/text appears to be.

Or you could put XP into that mode where it makes all the Text HUGE. I think it's for people who cant see.

Back