Buyer Beware: Newegg Shipping EVGA RTX 3080s Without Retail Boxes

Thats odd. Bots buy up all the boxes? Newegg employees selling boxes for 2k on ebay?

Either way I shiped out a bunch of gpus in bulk packaging and never had a issue with damage (the trick is to not use a massively oversized box)

Seems shady..

There's a chance Newegg is doing this to keep RTX 3080s in stock by any means necessary, even if it means grabbing bulk items that were probably meant for pre-built machines.

Than they should be selling these as open box or OEM and at a lower price....seems like NewEgg trying to pull a quick one....

Last edited:
I guess two questions come into play here

1) Did they sell for MSRP? If so, and they got shipped bulk... that's not great
2) Were they from Newegg or one of their "marketplace" sellers? I HATE that Newegg has started doing that, anyone can resell anything and people associate it with the majority reseller name (Amazon has this problem too)

3) I know I said 2, but.... do the cards work? Are they legit? These would be secondary for me, if I purchased a retail card, I want a retail box no matter what.

what if the workers behind the scenes are fed up and just slapped them in there due to the pressures

seems not too unlike fast food workers spitting in food?

I guess two questions come into play here

2) Were they from Newegg or one of their "marketplace" sellers? I HATE that Newegg has started doing that, anyone can resell anything and people associate it with the majority reseller name (Amazon has this problem too)

Yeah me too, I won't even buy the product if it comes from a marketplace seller, I don't want to deal with the headache in case something happens.

Since a few years ago when they were sold off to that Chinese company.
did not know this. I stopped buying stuff there when they started charging 3 bucks or so for Rush processing which meant "we will sit on your order a little less for more money."

I stopped using newegg when they sent me reminders for everything I browsed. (including stuff I bought) Some side company bluecore. I gave them a chance by complaining to them. They gave me lip service but kept up the practice.

They are dead to me now.

I think once the novelty of the 3080 wears off it should be at every retailer. For the games I play @ 144 Hz 2K, the card is a waste of money. The one game I have FS 2020 is a joke even with a 3080 40 FPS at 2K, hell my 390X does 30. Do not get me wrong if you play RTX/DLSS titles the gains are well worth the purchase, I will wait and see what AMD does.

Honestly, it wouldn't bother me and I'd probably buy one sans packaging if that was an option to begin with. BUT I'd expect the card to cost less, too. Kinda like when you purchase RAM or a hard disk from the bulk bin. Pulling this one someone who expected full retail boxed purchase is awful. Hell, what if they planned to resell it? That's clearly what a lot of people are doing right now.

yah, it's now a Chinese state owned setup that's potentially a front for data mining and gathering personal info :(
what personal info, your purchasing history? to late google already has it.. everything else can be found within 30 seconds so there's not a whole lot for them to datamine. but Newegg had been going downhill long before it was bought by the chinese. either way i'm going guess this was a shipping error between EVGA and newegg because the time and energy to pull shit out of boxes isn't worth it.

I stopped using newegg when they sent me reminders for everything I browsed. (including stuff I bought) Some side company bluecore. I gave them a chance by complaining to them. They gave me lip service but kept up the practice.

They are dead to me now.

you sure that wasn't fleabay? that's the only site i ever receive emails from about stuff i was looking at.. only thing i've ever received from newegg is the newsletters and reminders that i had stuff sitting in my cart which sometimes leads to them giving you a personal discount code if you leave it there long enough.

Its possible the boxes were damaged in transit. Like a pallet of old roy dog food fresh off the Walmart truck leaking all over the floor when you pull the pallet.

you sure that wasn't fleabay? that's the only site i ever receive emails from about stuff i was looking at.. only thing i've ever received from newegg is the newsletters and reminders that i had stuff sitting in my cart which sometimes leads to them giving you a personal discount code if you leave it there long enough.

here is the exact text for a couple emails

Thank you for your order - Here are a few items that you might have missed

THANKS FOR YESTERDAY'S ORDER MORE GOOD BUYS

Don't Miss Out on these Desktop Computers

---------------------------------

Still Shopping

THE TECH IS DEFINITELY WORTH A SECOND LOOK

(stuff I bought a few days before that)

It would happen with stuff I browsed. Often 2 to 3 emails in a row. I subscribed to a newsletter not a bunch of useless reminders.

They didn't even come from newegg's servers they came from sendgrid.

Code:
Received: from xxxxxx.outbound-mail.sendgrid.net 
https://bluecore.com/admin/templates/fonts/newegg.css

I signed up for newegg's emails not bluecore.

This shipping method is normally reserved for hard drives.

minimal padding in oversized box

3090 came in a retail box from newegg!

Attachments

• 67E38F15-1A3D-41FB-97F2-6A55A511D9BA.jpeg
    67E38F15-1A3D-41FB-97F2-6A55A511D9BA.jpeg
    283 KB · Views: 0
Good thing for me back then as I was about to send in a 9800 XT OC to BFG for RMA, but I found out they went bankrupt before I sent it in. Glad my card hadnt died earlier as I would be out my card and no replacement.

So good chance those EVGA 3080’s are the ones with the bad capacitors. Hope the RMA process for those cards isn’t all buggered up.

FoundedAugust 2002; 18 years ago
DefunctSeptember 2010; 10 years ago

Best case you got an 8 year warranty at BFG. Each subsequent purchase had a shorter warranty than the person before them.

FoundedAugust 2002; 18 years ago
DefunctSeptember 2010; 10 years ago

Best case you got an 8 year warranty at BFG. Each subsequent purchase had a shorter warranty than the person before them.

LOL. TRue. But you bought BFG because they had a lifetime warranty if I remember.

Way back in the day I think they were the ones who RMAed my 5ish year old 6800 GT card for a fanless 8500. Not a perfect upgrade substitution - mostly because that generation NVidia had a huge hole in their performance chart between the 8500 (slightly slower than my low end 6800) and the 8600 (way faster) - but since at that point I'd upgraded my gaming system to SLI 260s and was using the old card to put basic graphics in a secondary box the lower power card was a better fit for my use even though a lot of people here were saying I should waste hours going full attack dog to try and get them to give me the faster card.

Back