Buy Westinghouse 32" HDTV (BF) or 360 first?

Josh123

Limp Gawd
Ok, currently I am looking at trying to pick up the Westinghouse 32" HDTV BB plans on selling on Black Friday. The main reason I would want it is for the Xbox 360 that I also want. Right now I have a Sanyo 27" SDTV.

So what should I go with first? Great deal on a good HDTV and wait a month or two for the Xbox, or pick up the Xbox and possibly get a HDTV with income tax return. Granted I am expecting a $500 Christmas bonus to pay for it, but not sure if I get the bonus or not lol.

Josh123 said:
Ok, currently I am looking at trying to pick up the Westinghouse 32" HDTV BB plans on selling on Black Friday. The main reason I would want it is for the Xbox 360 that I also want. Right now I have a Sanyo 27" SDTV.

So what should I go with first? Great deal on a good HDTV and wait a month or two for the Xbox, or pick up the Xbox and possibly get a HDTV with income tax return. Granted I am expecting a $500 Christmas bonus to pay for it, but not sure if I get the bonus or not lol.

Westinghouse is NOT a good HDTV. I work at Best Buy and I see at least 3 returned/exchanged Westinghouse TVs a day. If you're not getting a Sharp, Samsung, Toshiba, Panasonic, Pioneer, or Mitsubishi, you're pretty much getting an overgrown can opener.

The 360 does look a lot better on an HDTV, but you can certainly play it well on on standard def, too.

desultadox said:
Westinghouse is NOT a good HDTV. I work at Best Buy and I see at least 3 returned/exchanged Westinghouse TVs a day. If you're not getting a Sharp, Samsung, Toshiba, Panasonic, Pioneer, or Mitsubishi, you're pretty much getting an overgrown can opener.

The 360 does look a lot better on an HDTV, but you can certainly play it well on on standard def, too.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll just pick up the 360 and if I get the bonus just save it and combine it with my income tax return. That way I can try to get a really nice HDTV.

It's a tough call, and it really depends on what you want to do more. I'm much more of a gamer, and would want to play the 360 first. Rather then get a nice TV and watch a lot of movies on it, and what not. I'd buy the 360 and enjoy it on my SDTV, until I had enough for an HDTV, which for you doesn't sound like it'll be too long. A few more months, depending on when you get your tax returns. The move to HDTV will make your 360 experience all the better.

um that guys is a complete kook, i spent about one month researching high def tvs and looking at all sorts of tvs, I'm on a budget and if ur young in your 20's and dont want to buy $1000 dollar plus on a tv.. I got the westy 32 inch from best buy for a great price about 2months ago, its a great tv, i have no problems, no dead pixels, It is awesome on my xbox360 (why i got it in the first place) of course the samsung model is nicer but its also so much more expensive. oh yeah and xbox360 is 10 times better than on standard tv, standard it looks like shit.

if u want a good budget gaming tv, the westy 32inch is it. otherwise save up.

desultadox said:

Explain that to these guys..
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=999451

The westinghouse's are great TV's. I have one. It works perfect. Looks perfect. and I play my xbox360 with a wow factor.

Well I think I may just go with the 360 first then jump the the HDTV, like the previous poster said. That way I'll be able to see a HUGE improvement and enjoy it more. I figure it will be like upgrading the system lol.

If you are getting a display of some sort just for the 360, get the 360 first. I've had my 360 for about 8 months now and am finally getting a 32" LCD because I didn't really have a lot of use other than my 360. Either that BF deal at BB or online somewhere, which by the way, fry's.com has a 32" LCD for $500+$20something shipping. Anyways, the point is, if you aren't going to be watching a lot of HDTV content, then just get the 360 first and the display later.

I've got a westinghouse 32" and LOVE it. For the price, nothing comes close. It doesn't offer different aspect ratios, and only hase 1 HDMI input, but honestly It's a great TV. Get the 4 year plan on this TV from bestbuy, cause 4 years is a long time for an "inexpensive" TV.

best buy employees know nothing about everything. good place to go is avsforum.com they say the westinghouse is a great value.

BTW, people who shell out 400-600 dollars for nextgen console when they have a 6 year old crap television make me sick.

Well my current TV is that crappy. It has component inputs so would that make an difference at all compaired to composite?

desultadox said:

Um, Shens. Westy makes some VERY good panels, and some great TV's, and they also have great service, should you ever have to work with them.

OP: Get a westy, they're absolutely fine for a good, low-cost screen. I'm on my second, and I've loved both of them (and plan on getting the 32" on BF as well)

Josh123 said:
Well my current TV is that crappy. It has component inputs so would that make an difference at all compaired to composite?

Meh. Get the westy, you'll be happy. Working at best buy requires you to not know too much about your products, sadly...

desultadox said:
Westinghouse is NOT a good HDTV.

ditto.

I had the 42" Westinghouse HDTV LCD a couple weeks ago. I bought it based on the very good reviews from Crutchfield's web site. I tried the TV out for a few days until I went to my local Best Buy and I looked at the Sony 40" XBR2 Bravia TV. needless to say the two TVs werent no where near the same so I ditched the Westinghouse and I ordered the XBR2 from J&R's site for like $2600 shipped. Best Buy sells it for like $3100 (plus sales tax).

while some might say that the Sony name is overhyped and what not, I will say that they usually have good stuff and the XBR2 is just another example of that. so the moral of the story is the same old saying, "sometimes you get what you pay for" and the cheaper 42" Westinghouse was just that. cheaper but not no where near as good.

lopoetve said:
OP: Get a westy, they're absolutely fine for a good, low-cost screen.

yup, you are right. they are a low-cost screen. so if you dont care about having a very good, high quality screen then the Westinghouse will be just fine. :p

ozziegn said:
yup, you are right. they are a low-cost screen. so if you dont care about having a very good, high quality screen then the Westinghouse will be just fine. :p

I can get a westinghouse 32" for $500 that is top-notch. An equal screen from Sony would cost $1500+. A better screen would cost $2000. To me, the money is worth more than the screen.

Bang-for-the-buck, Westinghouse wins.

there's always something better, but you have to pay for it. Hell, sony's Qualia screen blows your XBR2 away... if you want to spend 10-15k for one.

ozziegn said:
ditto.

I had the 42" Westinghouse HDTV LCD a couple weeks ago. I bought it based on the very good reviews from Crutchfield's web site. I tried the TV out for a few days until I went to my local Best Buy and I looked at the Sony 40" XBR2 Bravia TV. needless to say the two TVs werent no where near the same so I ditched the Westinghouse and I ordered the XBR2 from J&R's site for like $2600 shipped. Best Buy sells it for like $3100 (plus sales tax).

while some might say that the Sony name is overhyped and what not, I will say that they usually have good stuff and the XBR2 is just another example of that. so the moral of the story is the same old saying, "sometimes you get what you pay for" and the cheaper 42" Westinghouse was just that. cheaper but not no where near as good.

look at the price difference of the two tv's....westinghouse one is what? 1800....compared to a 3100 dollar tv, its not gonna be 1300 dollars more for nothing, what im sayin is the westinghouse is the best tv at that price, i have the 37" and i have found absolutely nothing wrong with it, im lovin it 100%, get the 32" your gonna love it...

in addition, the westy is a 720p panel, the Sony is a 1080i. And you spend 1200+ more on the sony than you did on the westy...

Is the improvement in quality worth buying the equivalent of a second screen? to me, no... they're close enough. the westinghouse isn't bad, it's just not as good.

If you've got $1300 to spend, the Westinghouse is great. If you've got 2800-3300, it's not the choice to make.

Thanks for the help, but do you think I will come across a deal like this again in the future? 32" HDTV for $470 sounds like a hell of a deal I just don't know if I should chance it without knowing for sure if we are getting a bonus.

Josh123 said:
Thanks for the help, but do you think I will come across a deal like this again in the future? 32" HDTV for $470 sounds like a hell of a deal I just don't know if I should chance it without knowing for sure if we are getting a bonus.

I doubt it. My HDTV has been one of the best things I spent money on.

I've been reading some reviews on the Westinghouse HDTV that I believe BB is going to put up for BF. From what i've read, it supports 1080i. Is this true?

My westinghouse does 1080i.

It's a good TV. I have a 40" Westinghouse LCD, and I can say I am very happy with the product.

Josh123 said:
I've been reading some reviews on the Westinghouse HDTV that I believe BB is going to put up for BF. From what i've read, it supports 1080i. Is this true?
It supports it, but will downscale that to it's native resolution, which is 1366x768 I believe.

No LCD monitor can display an interlaced signal, as they are progressive by nature.

the 32" westy is nice, but when you start talking about the 37" and larger screen, WESTINGHOUSE sucks!!

summary:
32" = good
37"+ = bad!! very grainy!!

I would definitely get a HDTV before I got a PS3 or 360... IMO it's like playing a game in B&W versus Color...

jblue42 said:
best buy employees know nothing about everything. good place to go is avsforum.com they say the westinghouse is a great value.

ive worked at best buy and agree with that alot of them do not know much about anything. but westinghouses arent really a great brand, get a CRT Sony if you have the space for the monster (its big).

Never get a service plan. ever. at best buy they train you how to fool unsuspecting customers into buying those $400 pieces of paper

this is really simple, take it from someone that has "been there done that"

get the HDTV first, unless you spend 90% of your time gaming on it and the other 10% watching TV and movies

you are going to get sooooooo much more useage and enjoyment out of your HDTV than you will the 360, being able to watch HD and all.......

then get the 360 and get the full potential of the 360, i have hooked mine up to a 27" SDTV and it's NOT the same as gaming on the 46" HDTV i have, anyone that tells you different either cant afford a HDTV or hasn't played one on a HDTV or is just plain crazy.....

dont get the cart before the horse, while both items are luxuries, the HDTV is much more practical, will provide much more entertainment value, and will only make your 360 investment go that much further, trust me, you will want the extra time at first to get familiar with your HDTV anyways, it will help pass the time while you wait to get the funds for the 360 ;)

Jawad said:
the 32" westy is nice, but when you start talking about the 37" and larger screen, WESTINGHOUSE sucks!!

summary:
32" = good
37"+ = bad!! very grainy!!

So a 37" at 1080p is grainy? k whatever...

Ok, just got back from Best Buy and checked out the TV in person. I took the GF and she agreed that she would like to have it also. I talked to the sales rep about the extended warrenty and I think he said it would cast $100 for 4 years. Well, I checked online and if I'm thinking correctly, doesn't BB price their warrenties according to the price of the item???

My question is: If I buy the Westinghouse 32" HDTV @ $470, will the warrenty be cheaper than @ $899?

FYI: Just so you guys know, by definition, Digital Displays CAN'T natively display a 1080i image- You can do some processing on the signal, and get it out on the screen, but its not 1080i. The i means interlaced- LCD, DLP, and Plasmas are not interlaced displays like CRT tubes. So what happens is the image is ussally split down by the video processor in the TV and converted.

Its the same idea as running a LCD monitor at less that native res. You have to do some work to the signal to get it to display properly on the screen. The same happens when you pass an interlaced signal(1080i/480i) to a digital, nativly progressive, display devices.

The point is? Ignore 1080i for your digital tvs. Focus on weither you want 720p or 1080p for you TV. 1080i is irrelavant.

Now, onto the OP's question-
THE XBOX3600 IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT AN HD DISPLAY! DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY NOW ON A 360 UNLESS YOU PLAN TO PLUG IT INTO SOMETHING THAT SUPPORTS AT LEAST 720p!

The Westi LCD TV's are not that bad. We rarely see them back with issues. PQ wise, they aren't the best out there- but for mostly gaming use (and monitors use like alot of people with the 1080p sets) they will be fine. If you are big into movies and movie watching, then you will probably see the less than stelar black levels, and lack or truley vibrant colors- Sure the display is bright and sharp, but its a mid level panel and the color reproduction shows this. For $500 as a TV in your room for your XBox360? HELL YES ALL DAY! If it means you have to wait on the PS3 or the Wii to get the 360 and an HDTV then I still say do it.

As far as the warrenty at BestBuy: the warrenty price is based on the price of the TV. I don't remember the HT tiers right now, but I think $999 - 0 is the bottom tier for HDTVs. The SDTVs have a different price. Also, anything over 27" is inhome service as well last I checked. So $100 will probably still be the 4year warrenty price on black friday.

Josh123 said:
My question is: If I buy the Westinghouse 32" HDTV @ $470, will the warrenty be cheaper than @ $899?

How are you getting the 32" for $470???

Hulk said:
How are you getting the 32" for $470???

Magic

So you think the deal would be great??? I would like to wait on a really nice HDTV and see how the new LED TVs look when they come out next December. Wouldn't that be the best way to go?

If you can get a 32" HDTV (is it 720p or 1080p?) for $470 then jump on that deal!

Dyre said:
FYI: Just so you guys know, by definition, Digital Displays CAN'T natively display a 1080i image- You can do some processing on the signal, and get it out on the screen, but its not 1080i. The i means interlaced- LCD, DLP, and Plasmas are not interlaced displays like CRT tubes. So what happens is the image is ussally split down by the video processor in the TV and converted.

Its the same idea as running a LCD monitor at less that native res. You have to do some work to the signal to get it to display properly on the screen. The same happens when you pass an interlaced signal(1080i/480i) to a digital, nativly progressive, display devices.

The point is? Ignore 1080i for your digital tvs. Focus on weither you want 720p or 1080p for you TV. 1080i is irrelavant.

Now, onto the OP's question-
THE XBOX3600 IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT AN HD DISPLAY! DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY NOW ON A 360 UNLESS YOU PLAN TO PLUG IT INTO SOMETHING THAT SUPPORTS AT LEAST 720p!

The Westi LCD TV's are not that bad. We rarely see them back with issues. PQ wise, they aren't the best out there- but for mostly gaming use (and monitors use like alot of people with the 1080p sets) they will be fine. If you are big into movies and movie watching, then you will probably see the less than stelar black levels, and lack or truley vibrant colors- Sure the display is bright and sharp, but its a mid level panel and the color reproduction shows this. For $500 as a TV in your room for your XBox360? HELL YES ALL DAY! If it means you have to wait on the PS3 or the Wii to get the 360 and an HDTV then I still say do it.

As far as the warrenty at BestBuy: the warrenty price is based on the price of the TV. I don't remember the HT tiers right now, but I think $999 - 0 is the bottom tier for HDTVs. The SDTVs have a different price. Also, anything over 27" is inhome service as well last I checked. So $100 will probably still be the 4year warrenty price on black friday.
Many people actually prefer to have their 360's set at 1080i on LCD monitors when the monitors' native resolution is 1366x768. When I had a 32" LCD, I was one of those people, and here's why:

At 720p, the monitor will have to stretch 1280x720 to 1366x768. If you have your 360 set at 1080i, the monitor will shrink down the image to 1366x768, resulting in a sharper image when compared to the 720p setting.

That's a different story, though, when the monitors actual resolution is 1280x720, as 720p will be displayed perfectly, with no scaling.

Yeah thats more of an issue with specific TV sets though- Just has to do with the processor doing the scaling in the TV. But absolutly correct.

Sollution? Get the 1080p set. :)

can someone point me to a review of the westy 32 inch, the same model that is for 480.

that model number that we are talking about for 480 isnt even on westy's website ,. thanks

Back