Buy Opteron 144?

DaLurker

[H]ard|Gawd
It seems I can get access to a Opteron 144 for $169 CDN (same price as Venice 3000+) and with the impending price increase, I'm thinking maybe I should pick one up. Now I'm hoping I'd hit over 3ghz with this chip but what's the likelihood of that at this point? I figure my Venice 3000+ right now is at 2.8ghz so it would need to hit 3ghz for it to be worth my time.

Give me your thoughts!

I will jump the hell of it to that deal. opty 144 for $169cdn?!?! buy them all now and you'll make money is very very short time.. however, even with custom h2o. most 144 won't hit 3ghz. 2.8-2.9 is where they land on. with today's latest stepping, no more CABYE oc dream. latest CACJE stepping you can do decent 2.8ghz.

hacgumyu said:
I will jump the hell of it to that deal. opty 144 for $169cdn?!?! buy them all now and you'll make money is very very short time.. however, even with custom h2o. most 144 won't hit 3ghz. 2.8-2.9 is where they land on. with today's latest stepping, no more CABYE oc dream. latest CACJE stepping you can do decent 2.8ghz.

I got the stepping and it looks like a

CAB2E 0548 EPAW

Damn... but it doesn't seem worth it. I don't need so many CPU. I'd really like to hit 3+ghz

Anybody hear anything about this stepping?

Back