Buy new or used?

adri1456

Gawd
I'm looking to get my first laptop computer soon, and so far I've saved up about $200 and was looking on ebay.

I really don't need a powerhouse, just enough to do word processing at the library, probably some wireless internet (if its connectable) and listen to music. But some people are suggesting that I should get a new laptop from the store because they're reliable and the battery is less likely to be bad. However, my older brother made his first laptop purchase on ebay a few months ago, and it went real well.

What route should I go with? Buy a laptop new or used?

Well, batteries only last 3-5 years, then they don't hold a charge, so there is some validity to that point.
When do you need it?
I'm sure BB will have a laptop for sale on November 25th like they did last year. But you'd have to arrive the store at midnight, and camp for 6 hours. I plan on going this year. So if you save up a little more, you can probably get a new one. Last year, I think it sold for about $400.

NoGodForMe said:
Well, batteries only last 3-5 years, then they don't hold a charge, so there is some validity to that point.
When do you need it?
I'm sure BB will have a laptop for sale on November 25th like they did last year. But you'd have to arrive the store at midnight, and camp for 6 hours. I plan on going this year. So if you save up a little more, you can probably get a new one. Last year, I think it sold for about $400.
There is a best buy near here that will open around October, and I'm applying for it, so I might get a good deal on it.

But I'd like to have it within the next 2 months so that I can atleast do some of this quarter's work on it (word processing, java compiling, etc). And here in Hawaii, it can get cold during that time, so I might be staying away from it unless its a good deal.

Back