Buy Dell 2007WFP now or wait?

Destroid

Weaksauce
PLEASE NOTE: All figures are in AUD (Austrlian dollars).

Hey all, I have recently been agonising over which LCD to get to replace my aging 19" CRT, I tried a Samsung 226bw (C) but couldn't handle the awful viewing angles (and ghost!!!) and so returned it.

I can hold on for longer, and have a ceiling of around $600

The question is, do I buy a 2007wfp now ($529) or wait for a new wave of 20/21/22" monitors (from Dell or another manufacturer) to come out. I really can't stand the flaws of TN so it has to be MVA/PVA/IPS.

Main concern is that a new version of the dell will come out soon with a newer (faster) IPS panel in it, or that the new AOU A-MVA 20" will come out at a reasonable price. I would definitely prefer a panel that is a little quicker than 16bw/8gtg, but it seems to be unavailable except in bigger and more expensive 24"+ monitors which are sadly outside my price range (not to mention the increased video card expense, I am a gamer, and would prefer not to spend $800 on a video card).

I don't really mind playing the lottery because of the 15 day return policy.

So, buy now or wait?

It's all your decision man. I brought a Dell 2005FPW back in the day. I now have two 32" HDTV's that seems to do just as well than the Dell 2005FPW. Some of these New HD LCD TV's are just as good as the smaller PC LCD's.

I was under the impression that all non-TN 20" panels are dying off. You got links to those 2 panels you speak of?

I have a norcent LT-3222 with a 8ms response time and a spectroniq PLTV-3250 with a 12ms rsponse time, just look around the net and stores you can find good deals on HDTV's that can also be good computer monitors for the amount you wish to buy a regular computer only monitor for.

If you follow this link: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/4.htm#a-mva and scroll down a little you will see the new AOU A-MVA panel lineup, the 20"WS is a new version of the panel from the vx2025wm. I am not sure which other panel I referred to you are asking for a link for? I am mainly concerned that I will buy new and then a newer IPS or an AMVA will come out that will be better.

If you follow this link: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/4.htm#a-mva and scroll down a little you will see the new AOU A-MVA panel lineup, the 20"WS is a new version of the panel from the vx2025wm. I am not sure which other panel I referred to you are asking for a link for? I am mainly concerned that I will buy new and then a newer IPS or an AMVA will come out that will be better.

That's what happens in the computer world, newer tech comes out at a blistering pace so you'll never stay current and always have to upgrade.

But as I said for the amount of funds you have I would get an HDTV like the Westy and have a monitor that has dual use. Me myself I'm done buying computers monitors that are the same price as some of these new 1080p HDTV's when I can have the best of both worlds.

Got my DELL 2007WFP few months ago or so and love it. Don't see needing a bigger LCD. S-IPS is the best and don't think none TN "S-IPS" will die off. They are 1,000,000 times better in color and make a huge difference. I have my old 1907FP in dual view with my 2007WFP and the white is some much whiter then my 1907FP TN panel.

Also works great for my x360 and makes playing and easy playing PC style, sitting close to my display.

marcusj3000, you can't get a good LCD TV for the amount that I am willing to spend.

Got my DELL 2007WFP few months ago or so and love it. Don't see needing a bigger LCD. S-IPS is the best and don't think none TN "S-IPS" will die off. They are 1,000,000 times better in color and make a huge difference. I have my old 1907FP in dual view with my 2007WFP and the white is some much whiter then my 1907FP TN panel.

Also works great for my x360 and makes playing and easy playing PC style, sitting close to my display.

Do you have any pics??? I am thinking about getting the Dell 2007wfp but i was wondering how xbox 360 games look. Is there any ghosting? any issues?

No TV tuner built in, for games I don't have any issues with the response time (tested in counter strike: source).

For video I have heard that you are better off with a *VA panel, however I have never noticed the so called "shimmer" that IPS panels are supposed to have.

yeah the shimmer is most noticble when the screen is white, and you look upclose, or get upclose and look at an angle.

i am looking at getting the 20inch, but when i went to the dell kiosk they lacked the brightness of the 24inch, and it put me off.

btw i am in aust too.

I didn't realise brightness was an issue with any LCD - I run my 2007WFP @ 40% brightness since I am usually in a dim room. The stock setting was 50% which was comfortable in a well lit room.

Back