Buy.com @ eBay: Samsung 840 256GB $140

Adorama = no tax in CA, at least from the listing info.

Pretty sure Buy.com's eBay will charge -_-

nice deal, I still feel good about the one I bought for $150 several weeks ago.

how is this for an OS drive? I want to get a 256gb OS drive and then get a 512gb for a steam/gaming drive.

Very hot deal for people in California.

Wish they had the 128GB on sale for around $70.

how is this for an OS drive? I want to get a 256gb OS drive and then get a 512gb for a steam/gaming drive.

I have the 840 PRO and so far it's the single best computer component I've ever owned. Fast as blazes. The 840 is slower, but it's still a hell of a lot faster than most other SSDs. The 840s are, from what I can tell, generally considered to be the top of the line when it comes to SSDs. If you're in the market, I'd recommend nothing else.

Canada or California? All Adorama's listing said was that they charge tax in NY and NJ, so that's bullshit if they charge in California also.

This is a really stupid question but I got my SanDisk Extreme 240 last July for $150 with average read/write being ~500MB/s, why haven't the prices for SSD's dropped much since then? New hardware/technology keeping the prices up?

This is a really stupid question but I got my SanDisk Extreme 240 last July for $150 with average read/write being ~500MB/s, why haven't the prices for SSD's dropped much since then? New hardware/technology keeping the prices up?

Well that drive used an older sandforce controller. SF-2181, and it was/is pretty much a budget drive, and you undoubtedly got it on sale at 150 because at the time of [H]'s review which was months later it was in the $170 area. So now we have the 840, which is brand new with a great controller but it uses cheaper TLC nand. Marked at $150 seems about right. So really price has come down, albeit not much, but a little bit if you.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/11/01/sandisk_extreme_ssd_storage_review/8

also the 840 was at $280 for the 500gb which is even less per megabyte so they are getting cheaper.

the 840 is a great drive, love both my 830 and 840.

Back