Buy an EVGA GTX 780 today, Step-Up to GTX 980 in October/November?

Zero Cool

Limp Gawd
Hey Everyone,

I've got a 10% off coupon and $180 gift card to Best Buy which means I could pick up an EVGA GTX 780 SC today for $292 out of pocket. I know the new GTX 980s are due out in the next month or two but I don't want to wait that long to play games. Do you think if I were to buy this card today, EVGA would allow me to use the Step-Up program before November 29th to upgrade to a GTX 980? I've never used the service before and I don't know if new cards are added right away, or if it takes a while. I just sold my 780 Ti for $650 and I figured why not since I paid less than that for it when I bought it. What do you guys think? Has anyone here used the Step-Up program and do you think November 29th will be long enough for them to offer the 980s in trade? Thanks very much!

Yeah, you can. You have 90 days from the day you bought your current GPU to apply for step up. IIRC EVGA offered step ups on the 680 and 780 on day one of release in limited qtys, but they both had wait periods due to limited quantities. They with-hold a certain number of GPUs specifically for step up, and it's not always a lot. If you're okay with that, and assuming that the 980 is releasing in 2 weeks as rumored (seems very likely), then I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. You'd be well within the 90 days from purchase to apply for step up.

The only wild card is how long you'd have to wait in queue to get the 980. I'd say apply ASAP for step up as soon as the 980 is released to increase your odds if you decide to do it. Then again, if you bought it from best buy. You could just get a refund within your 30 day window if Best Buy allows it? And then use the refund to buy a 980? I dunno, you could go either way.

Good call on the Best Buy return policy. I am an Elite Plus member (what a stupid name haha) so my return window gets bumped from 15 days to 45 days. Between that, and the fact that you think the 980s will be available day one for Step-Up (if you get in quick enough), I think I'll go ahead and run down to Best Buy now. Thanks for the info and the help, I appreciate it!

When talking about products that are yet to be released and nothing concrete on them yet I would suggest that you proceed carefully. My gut tells me they will be available soon but just in case wait until the last day possible on that 10% coupon and get the card then. Imagine a delay puts these cards to early December.

He has a 45 day no hassle return policy, that allows him to return the card if he doesn't like it. I'd say he's okay. Worse come to worse, he could simply return it at the end of the period if for some reason new cards don't come out.

But i'm pretty sure new cards are coming out soon.

Suggesting someone return a perfectly good card just because the next generation is delayed is not good. It forces the retailer to sell the card at a loss as an "open item". Not fair ...

Suggesting someone return a perfectly good card just because the next generation is delayed is not good. It forces the retailer to sell the card at a loss as an "open item". Not fair ...

Well, their return policy allows it. Not satisfied? Return it. Take it up with Best Buy.

I'd agree to a certain extent when people return electronics just because it doesn't overclock as well as they'd like, which I think is stupid, but in this case. I dunno. Their return policy lets you return anything for any reason. So there you go. Not like he'd be lying about it. He could just say "I felt like it" and they would take the return.

RMA fraud is a scumbag move IMO, but this doesn't fall under that category (at least, last I checked BB's return policy). He isn't lying and he can do it because their return policy allows it. If they only allowed defective returns (which some retailers are like this) then it would be a different story. He would have to lie to return the card. But, again, BB has a customer friendly return policy and he is completely within the bounds of the return policy in returning it for whatever reason.

But he also has the option for step up too, so there's that.

Don't be so retailer-centric. This is Best Buy we're talking about, not the local mom&pop computer shop. Besides Best Buy more than makes up for that "loss" with their obscene prices.

Don't be so retailer-centric. This is Best Buy we're talking about, not the local mom&pop computer shop. Besides Best Buy more than makes up for that "loss" with their obscene prices.

Well why don't you go and buy one and then sell it to me for 10-20% less than you paid for it as soon as you test it out.

I worked at Best Buy years ago. Returned video cards are sent back to the manufacturer and new products are sent in their place. They are not sold at a loss. The manufacturer often reboxes them as NEW and sells them again. This is standard practice...

I worked at Best Buy years ago. Returned video cards are sent back to the manufacturer and new products are sent in their place. They are not sold at a loss. The manufacturer often reboxes them as NEW and sells them again. This is standard practice...

All that costs somebody money.

And that somebody is the rest of us.

Or I could return it. But that would make you mad, right?

People like you are the reason they shortened the return period. You would be mad if they changed the policy to a 25% restocking fee for none broke items wouldn't you?

No, I would just use Amazon like I do anyway. If Best Buy can't afford their return policy, I'm sure they'll change it of their own accord. Until then, I'm not obligated to think of their bottom line for them.

Now I would be mad if Best Buy had a life-time return policy for everything and so many people returned TVs and appliances 5 years past the sale date that they had to change it (RIP Costco), but returning something in good order within 30 days is well within the bounds of propriety.

People like you are the reason they shortened the return period. You would be mad if they changed the policy to a 25% restocking fee for none broke items wouldn't you?

This isn't a moral or ethical issue. If the OP had to lie in order to return his product, I would agree - this is a common practice among some overclockers who essentially lie when they can't reach the OC they're hoping for. They'll call the product "defective", box it up and return it to an etailer. I'm against such practices, because first...lying for an RMA is unethical (integrity goes a long way in my book, lying for a return...not cool), and returning for an overclock is downright stupid.

But when a retailer allows a return for any reason, when the customer is not satisfied, the problem is what? There is no moral or ethical issue. He doesn't need to lie to return. He would be within the bounds of the return policy. If you have a problem with BB's return policy, you should write to Best Buy and inform them that you feel their return policy is too forgiving.

This is not something I would do, but given i've spent so much money at BB over the years. If I had too, I wouldn't feel badly about it. Because I buy and have bought tons of stuff at best buy and I don't habitually return items. Heck I don't think i've return anything to BB except a defective product maybe 10 years ago or more. Having a pro-consumer return policy like this is how BB retains customers in the face of increased competition from etailers.

But when a retailer allows a return for any reason, when the customer is not satisfied, the problem is what? There is no moral or ethical issue. He doesn't need to lie to return.

Technically he would be lying about his satisfaction. Unless you think, "ooo! there's a new card out!" is a valid reason to be dissatisfied with the product he purchased.

You don't have to give a reason. You can just say "I changed my mind". And that's that. Or you can say nothing. I want to return it and that's that. Take the issue with BB's return policy with BB, because there is no ethical or moral issue if their return policy allows a return for any reason within 30/45 days. BB has specific defective only return policies on certain items, but electronics do not fall under that category from what I remember.

Xoleras is right, It's Best Buys policy and there is nothing wrong with it that I can see.
BTW Xoleras when I typed your name my Iphone Auto Corrected it to Cooler As, that's pretty cool as well.

Definitely use Amazon as was already suggested and get the EVGA GTX 780 w/ ACX http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DS5ZMLQ. To be honest, I've bought and saved a lot of money on used EVGA graphics cards because they honor warranties that follow the card. I've never had a problem and bought several used EVGA cards.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back