Buy AMD sell Intel

Discussion in 'AMD Processors' started by fightingfi, Aug 10, 2018 at 7:45 PM.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod [H]ardness Supreme

I'm sticking with them. I bought all mine when it was around $20 so I'm still sitting pretty on it. It's a decent dividend stock too but not great at $1.20/share annually. Intel is still considered a good buy from other ratings tho so I'm gonna hang on a little while longer. I can't see a company as big as Intel losing too much more.... Although GE is a dumpster fire....

One thing that does bother me tho is that while Intel has been #1 for a long time, it's not so much because they were really innovative or putting out "must have" products.... It was because AMD shit the bed in 2011 (or arguably even 2008 with Phenom 1) and offered virtually no competition or even a decent alternative to Intel so they were basically the only game in town for the last decade. Hard not to be #1 when there isn't a #2 to compete with.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 8:58 PM
  2. Mega6

Mega6 Gawd

Never had Intel, went in deep with AMD two years ago because I saw this coming. Actually AMD is doing a better on the cpu front than I expected. Intel mistake after mistake certainly helps too.

3. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

I can kick myself that I did not purchase 5000 shares of AMD when it was under $2.

Nobu likes this.
  4. Mega6

Mega6 Gawd

I received a alert email i set up for amd at about a buck and a half. No one but crazy bought amd down there. Amd was on the verge of disappearing all together. With Ryzen and ten bucks, it was a no brainer if u did your research. All i had to to was hop on [H] to see how well recieved it was and just continued to buy.

5. Nobu

Nobu [H]ard|Gawd

I got some at $2, but I should have got more. Went in deeper at $6 when I saw where they were going (although they didn't get there as fast as I hoped). If I had known how much it would go up, I'd have gotten a loan. lol

6. gigaxtreme1

gigaxtreme1 2[H]4U

It's a monster. Mad props to Feng Su. Ran into some folks from Nanjing and they were well aware of HIGON and Feng Su. This is empire building. Wow.
    Edit- and NVDA is no slouch this week. $275 this week ahead of earnings.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 10:42 AM
  7. Iratus

Iratus [H]ard|Gawd

I sold down Nvidia last april as I was overweight and bought a couple of thousand amd. Almost bailed as I took a big hit with Ryzen being a squib at first but it's finally coming good (bad Iratus crystallised some losses shamefully) and I'm enjoying it as I want them to succeed.

Course not as good returns as if I'd just kept all my Nvidia but hey ho, that's irrational pricing. I beat the 8% I get off etf's for my retirement money so all good. It's funny as shares started as fun and now it's getting a bit stupid and my basic strategy has been the incredibly complex "that's good / cool". Ultimate sentiment investment and just putting 10% of my salary aside since I started work.

Google (2005) Amazon (2002), ARM, Nvidia, Facebook (thankyou fucking God on that one, $23 and deeeeeeep), Salesforce. Burberry (in 2003), Nvidia(2011), Even Pure Storage has come round for me.

Just a shame I didn't earn much, or use leverage.

Also, fucking CGT.

8. MacLeod

MacLeod [H]ardness Supreme

I may have to go back on my word, Intel has been steadily dropping for days now. Hit $46 today! If it gets below $45 I may wind up selling. At only $1.20/share dividends, I'd rather sell it all and buy more Verizon or Merck which cost roughly the same but pay $2/share and are going nowhere but up.

9. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

I have both of those but no Intel unless you count indirectly owning in a fund.

10. SnowBeast

SnowBeast [H]ard|Gawd

Hold. When the next chips arrive in October they will climb. This is one of the few cpu cycles you don't have to upgrade your motherboard, just bios flash. Got a feeling Intel is going to hit back hard on Ryzen with the 9900k. 9700k won't stay on shelves either with only needing the chip and not the whole package.(motherboard)

11. SnowBeast

SnowBeast [H]ard|Gawd

Also, you have to look at AMD as a whole. This is short term. They still do not have a competing GPU period. No matter what you say. How is AMD's memory business? Intel has that. They are more diversified than AMD by a long shot. Nvidia launching next week will knock AMD down, probably hard. With Intel also entering the gpu market in 2020, AMD better get a big cash infusion for R&D from outside. Yes great buy at $2-5. Now, not so much. They are not the next Amazon, Google, or like Nvidia did in the last 2 years.