Buy AMD Now?

Technikal

Gawd
Not sure where to post this being AMD now owns ATI. Posted in General as well.

http://www.monster-hardware.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=21

Part of the article:

"I bought AMD because I believe there is a good chance that AMD is going to go out of business in the next year if their sales don't increase and I couldn't stand on the sidelines and do nothing and watch that happen. So I guess you can consider my latest CPU (and I am sure I am going to catch heat for this) a pity purchase. I am under no illusion about its performance relative to a new Intel CPU. If you are one of the people that think AMD deserves to go out of business if they can't compete with Intel on performance, be careful what you wish for because if AMD goes out of business then Intel can go back to resting on their laurels, being non-responsive to the market, and not innovating. Know this: If AMD goes away so will your 300 usd I7 CPU."

He makes some good points. I remember when Intel said they could only push socket 7 no further than 200MHz or something. AMD pushed it to 550MHz.

Remember back in the day when all there was was Power PC/IBM, Cyrix and Intel? Back then Intel controlled the rate at which new tech came out and charged a premium when it was basically a one horse show, then the Athlon came out and really messed up Intel.

After thinking about it I might my AMD again as well next upgrade. Though that might be a long while :)

I certainly hope they hang on and since I've always used their CPUs for my PC builds since 2003 I bought an AM2 board and an X2 6400+. Kind of wished I hadn't once it became sorely apparent how much better the E8000 series Wolfdales were just a short time later. I would like to make my next build an AM3 with a Phenom II 940 or greater, but after this past experience I'm not so sure what to do. The current build I have has served me fine, but that little nagging voice saying "you could have done better" keeps haunting me. I don't know if its worth having to listening to it to "help" support AMD.

It wouldn't suprise me if Nvidia bought ATI from AMD is such a situation presented itself.

I really doubt AMD is going anywhere. Their road map is showing some really impressive data. I just can't see them going down under.

It wouldn't suprise me if Nvidia bought ATI from AMD

Is that even possible? wouldn't that make nvidia essentially a monopoly since they would have a majority of the gpu market? Besides intel integrated and via, and matrox somewhere...wouldn't nvidia be essentially a monopoly? Larabee isn't gonna be here for a while...

My next build is going to be AMD purely on the fact of price alone. I can't afford the prices intel slaps on there chips, i don't care how well they perform.

ive had intel and nvidia for a long time now and ive satisfied the itch to hit up ATI. I will probably try out AMD when I upgrade because its something different and you know grass is always greener on the other side.

My next build is going to be AMD purely on the fact of price alone. I can't afford the prices intel slaps on there chips, i don't care how well they perform.

I thinking pretty much along the same lines. I am going to do a partial rebuild of my current system and stay with Intel stuff this time but my next system overhaul will be with AMD parts.

Are you saying we should buy AMD stuff to keep them alive?
I'd hate to see AMD go but at the same time my wallet isn't fat enough to give sympathy purchases for a company.

Intel, AMD, nVidia, ATi I don't care. I buy whatever gives me the best performance/$.
The Phenom line isn't too impressive even against Intels C2Qs which are already 'last gen' but their Video cards are very competitive in performance and pricing, thank god.

I usually buy AMD anyway because I hate the new Intel fan design. I however don't think AMD is going under, I just don't see it happening.

Is that even possible? wouldn't that make nvidia essentially a monopoly since they would have a majority of the gpu market? Besides intel integrated and via, and matrox somewhere...wouldn't nvidia be essentially a monopoly? Larabee isn't gonna be here for a while...

Well Intel is due to make a GPU. Although I would think NVIDIA wants AMD's CPU side more than their GPU side.

Well the reason I bought my Amd, because of the price/performance ratio.

Yeah, I didn't go with C2D last time either because the Intel CPU was about twice the price of the AMD. I also like that I got a 45 Watt, energy-efficient design, something Intel doesn't seem to offer either. So now I have a cheap system, powerful enough for my needs, which I can also undervolt if the need arises :)

While I won't deny that i7 blows the doors off AMD's current offerings, let's not forget that not everyone needs the best and most expensive system. Certainly over here in Europe, AMD seems to be the prime choice when it comes to price/performance in the mainstream and budget markets. Intel parts are just a lot more expensive.

Imho, buying AMD just to support the company is plain silly. Enthusiasts like us makes for a very small, niche market, and even if we ALL go out and buy AMD cpus, it'll be just a drop in the ocean. If you want AMD to survive, pursuade your COMPANIES to buy AMD-based computers from the mass-producers like Dell, that'll do the trick. OEM is where the big bucks are, and AMD knows it

I really doubt AMD is going anywhere. Their road map is showing some really impressive data. I just can't see them going down under.

This.. but their 4870x2 seems like its doing a pretty good job.. and also on cpu wise as other says if you want a budget build go with amd , but if you just want performance and don't care about the price then def. go with intel for the build... so I'd say yes and no , just depends on your preferences.

GPU-wise I think AMD is doing fine, I just don't want their GPUs because I absolutely need CUDA and PhysX for my work :) I would have no issues recommending AMD GPUs and CPUs to others, though. As an earlier article here at HardOCP showed, PhII combined with a nice AMD GPU can hold its own against i7 systems on virtually any game for a fraction of the price. That's commendable, I guess.

AMD has been making CPUs for years, I don't think they're going anywhere.
Just like before, when core 2 duo came out and my friends started to say, "Why would I need core 2 duo, I'm quite happy with my dual-core." I think you don't really need Phenom II, Phenom 9950 is enough. And since its pretty cheap now, I'd say you should jump on the next deal under $100 before they go extinc.

Back