• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Buy a LCD now or wait?

ForBuilding

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 30, 2005
Messages
194
Hi guys,
I am currently on a CRT I got from a friend for free. Previously I had the Dell 1905FP, but I sold it because I did not like the ghosting and the response time of 20ms. I am thinking of buying a LCD again, but it seems like right now isn't the best time to get a LCD as lots of new models are coming out and also new technologies too. I don't have a direct concern with HDCP but its definitely lingering there somewhere in the back and Dell is coming out with all of their 07 models. I've also begun to notice the ViewSonic VX2025wm as well as their other VX series. I want a good monitor that will last me for a while as since you look at the computer all day, I figure its good to get a good display.

So... I can get a:
Sony SDM-HS95B 19" LCD Monitor for $260
Dell 2001FP for $400 or less
ViewSonic VX2025wm for $400 or less

or I can wait for the new models and wait longer as my CRT is not dead yet. The Dell 2001FP for $400 or less is obviously a good deal, but they are coming out with the Dell 2007FP, but looking at the specs, its almost all the same except a higher contrast ratio. The response time is still the same 16ms. So what do you guys think?
 
ForBuilding said:
Hi guys,
I am currently on a CRT I got from a friend for free. Previously I had the Dell 1905FP, but I sold it because I did not like the ghosting and the response time of 20ms. I am thinking of buying a LCD again, but it seems like right now isn't the best time to get a LCD as lots of new models are coming out and also new technologies too. I don't have a direct concern with HDCP but its definitely lingering there somewhere in the back and Dell is coming out with all of their 07 models. I've also begun to notice the ViewSonic VX2025wm as well as their other VX series. I want a good monitor that will last me for a while as since you look at the computer all day, I figure its good to get a good display.

So... I can get a:
Sony SDM-HS95B 19" LCD Monitor for $260
Dell 2001FP for $400 or less
ViewSonic VX2025wm for $400 or less

or I can wait for the new models and wait longer as my CRT is not dead yet. The Dell 2001FP for $400 or less is obviously a good deal, but they are coming out with the Dell 2007FP, but looking at the specs, its almost all the same except a higher contrast ratio. The response time is still the same 16ms. So what do you guys think?

There's always something better coming out. It depends on how big of an expenditure this is for you.

Dont get the Sony. That model doesn't have DVI or the better screen thats found on the HS95P model.

I don't have experience with the Dell.

I just set up the ViewSonic about an hour ago. I'm still fooling with it but I can say this:
The screen and text while on the Windows desktop is very crisp with sharp fonts and good colors. So much better than my Viewsonic P95f CRT. While watching movies, however, there is significant backlight bleeding in the "X" pattern. Only seen on a black screen and it is a very common problem with LCDs but it is definitely there. Not only does it depend on the model but certain monitors of the same model will be worse than others.

If you're really money sensitive or aren't that dissatisfied with your CRT, I would wait a bit. I read a tech industry story a couple days ago that the panel manufacturers have too much inventory and there is a glut that will lower prices even more in the next 6 months or so.
 
Regardless of cost because I can get them all for about the same price, would it be correct to say:

Dell 2001FP > ViewSonic VX2025wm > Dell 2005FPW

I am basically looking for a good high-end monitor for $400 or less. That price range seems to limit me to 20.1 inches and under.

Or...I can wait for the 2007FP and the 2007FPW which have better contrast ratios...but then they might not be around $400...
 
Dell monitors usually have excellent image quality including crisp text and brilliant images. Also, I like the ergonomics and style; they just look so stylish and professional. Dell has very goodLCD monitors, and my advice would be to wait for the 2007fp or fpw because you are almost guranteed quality. The monitors might start off at around $529 but give it a few weeks and there will be deals that would bring the monitors down to about $450 or less.
 
Everything looks great on the 2007WFP except it lacks component input and HDCP support.
 
Chairman Ma said:
While it may not be that popular a monitor on these forums there's also the BenQ FP202w.

Thanks for the input. Price is pretty cheap as it is $400 plus shipping on Newegg. Some complaints I read about it from the reviews are the poor viewing angles and the non height-adjustable stand. Panel seems to be good though.

On a side note...I can get the Dell 2001FP for $350. Hm...I think that is a steal for sure...but I am a bit hesistant as I would be getting this from craigslist hence the cheap price. The guy listed it for $500 but I talked it down to $350...but I'm still hesitant. I really think I should get it though as it is the biggest monitor compared to the VX2025wm and the 2005FPW. I am hesitant because the model is like 6 years old (it came out in 2001). But for $350...I really shouldn't be arguing. If anyone owns one, feel free to push me over the fence.

Also to Danger...have you seen one yet? If so, could you compare it to the 2005fpw or the 2007fp to the 2001fp?
 
Not to thread jack, but I was wondering the same thing. Currently I've had my eye on the 2405FPW, then I saw the big form thread on the new Dell LCD coming out. Low-down I'm a gamer, BF2 and the like. Want something around the $800 flavor, maybe less, 24 inch...
 
If you want a monitor without ghosting then your only recourse is the Viewsonic VX922. All of the other monitors you listed will ghost to some degree.
 
Is the Viewsonic VX922 an 8-bit panel or 6-bit panel? I've read somewhere that 6-bit panels are faster for response time, but the colors are not as much like 16.2 million compared to 16.7 million or something.
 
I was definitly going to get a ViewSonic, then saw all the displays lined up playing the same action screens off the same feed and because of that was convinced to get my LG, the 2ms version which was $100- more was even more impressive. Try to find a place where you can see them all together, it changed my mind, it may work the same for you.
 
Ahhhh, I ended up getting the Dell 2001FP for $350 and man.....its pretty big dude... pretty big.. that's all I can say for now. I am using it on Analog and it looks alright. The colors can be better. I'm gonna get a video card so I can get DVI and improve some of my DVD playback. I have a thread on that, feel free to add here or there now that you guys know what monitor I have.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1037034
 
I just ordered a new 2005FPW this last week from Dell and i've had several in the past. I think its a really great LCD and i'll never go back to standard 4:3 LCD's. Widescreen LCD's are just better for most everything even if your getting a little less screen size then a 21" 2001FP. Its still plenty big for most people. I'm planning to grab a 2405FPW or 2407FPW later on when coupons are available and the price is low enough.
 
Back
Top