Buy a 360 online or at an outlet?

Lyrids

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to weigh the pro's and con's of paying sales tax vs. shipping. I was also waiting for the overstock deal but it looks like it's through. Where should I get one?

Dell has deals pretty regularly. Check the hot deals forum and something should turn up soon.

Definately buy online. Tax on $400 for me would be like $36 vs ~$20 shipping. Plus overstock and dell had some really nice deals on X360. I think overstock just had a sale where the X360 was near $300 for the Pro.

I bought mine at Costco. Considering it was first generation hardware I like their no-hassle money back policy just incase I have any problems. Worth the extra cost (bought it resale though, so no tax).

Oh'k wtf is with the currancy conversion...

why is it, us english have to pay £289 for a core 360, yet when i converted the currancy cost of the pacage linked at the top it comes out at £215! and thats the good bundle?! so when it says free shipping can i get it sent from the states to the uk for free? (edit: looked on the free delivery notice and it states only eligable within the states, but does that mean i cant shit it to the uk at all?) and would it be the same as the uk 360's? now i am well confused lol.

Kebra said:
Oh'k wtf is with the currancy conversion...

why is it, us english have to pay £289 for a core 360, yet when i converted the currancy cost of the pacage linked at the top it comes out at £215! and thats the good bundle?! so when it says free shipping can i get it sent from the states to the uk for free? (edit: looked on the free delivery notice and it states only eligable within the states, but does that mean i cant shit it to the uk at all?) and would it be the same as the uk 360's? now i am well confused lol.

First off, the answer to your final question is "no, it wouldn't be the same." If you bought and used a US Xbox 360, you would have to import US versions of any games you want to play, and I have no idea how it might affect Xbox Live.

Second, there are multiple reasons why the prices of game consoles are more expensive some places than they are in others. One is import taxes: Sony tried, and failed, to evade a 2% EU import tax for their PS2s by claiming that they should be categorized as home computers (in fact, they tried adding a small BASIC programming package to the PS2 to make it more convincing). Another factor is basic shipping - depending on where the units are put together, it can be more expensive to ship one place than another, though this factor is usually countered by volume. There is also language translation, though that of course shouldn't enter into it for the UK. Finally, companies try to tailor their prices to what particular markets will bear. For example, let's say for the sake of argument that dollars and pounds were trading 1:1, but the average income in the UK was 5% higher than that in the States. A console company might use that fact to charge more in the UK because the Brit can afford it.

There are also psychological factors involved. For example, marketing studies have demonstrated that charging $199.95 (or any other similar penny/nickel off price) will get more sales than charging $200 straight up. Most of us just round up but apparently there are those who see that first digit change and it turns them off. This enters into international pricing and can raise prices, too. Let's say that the dollar and pound are trading 1.0:0.8. So, if Microsoft is pricing the US Xbox 360 at $399.95 then the UK price should, barring taxes and such, be about 320 pounds. But, the MS marketing surveys tell them that they'll sell just as many boxes at 350 pounds as they would at 320, so they might go ahead and increase the price because the market will bear it.

I'm sure this kind of thing is annoying to people in other countries. Fortunately, I'm an American and thus only care about my country, so I would have little occasion to find out when these price inequities occur to my disadvantage. ;)

gutted lol, thanks for the indepth info though. as for me- i have a friend looking at selling his 360core for around £200 so as he is a friend he should give me a special deal, i am hopin to get it for around £170 :p other wise i will have to fork out more than i really want :S

Ripoff Britain people. Don't forget it. :) Oh, and VAT at 17.5% never helps... I'm still trying to work out how I can put it down as a business expense. I'm sure I can find a way. :D

Oh, and the core system is £210 online in the UK. Don't know where you saw £280 but they're trying to screw you. Premium costs £280 which I can only assume is what you meant... and yeah, it's £65 more than the US pays (~$120). If you want a real shock, check out how much cars sell for in the US compared to the UK. :eek:

Psychotext said:
Ripoff Britain people. Don't forget it. :) Oh, and VAT at 17.5% never helps... I'm still trying to work out how I can put it down as a business expense. I'm sure I can find a way. :D

Oh, and the core system is £210 online in the UK. Don't know where you saw £280 but they're trying to screw you. Premium costs £280 which I can only assume is what you meant... and yeah, it's £65 more than the US pays (~$120). If you want a real shock, check out how much cars sell for in the US compared to the UK. :eek:

hmmm, well i assume the car thing is a good thing then lol; i am hoping to come work in america in a few years, the dream is to have a car and drive to vagas like in the movie, swingers :p

also i only own a ps2 and never played it online, played on a few xboxs but never played online, yet for some reason now it seems to stand out to me abit more. even though i happen to be a pc gamer :S strange.

One more thing...... US=NTSC UK=PAL

If that makes a dif. on price, I dont know.

It is the same with the Euro here in Germany 399 euro, that is more than 399 dollars.

Yes you have your VAT included, U.S. price will have the tax after the 399, it might even out depending on the exchange rate.

Back