Busted Monitor..OR busted 9800 pro??? please help

Nirox

n00b
recently I bought a 9800 pro (ati built)
and a 19inch Viewsonic (p95f+b)

but I've been having odd problems..
for one

every 2-4 hours my monitor does a spark sound
and my monitor goes black..
other times it does the sound but doesn't go black

and recently its also been doing this odd effect
like if the image on the screen expands 100% and then it goes black

to me it sounds like my monitor is busted
but im not 100% sure

can anyone help?
thanks

I assume you dont have another computer to plug the monitor into?

Edit: Or another monitor to plug into that computer....

Edit Again: Or you could try swapping out that vid card with another....

mine does this. completely diff monitor. it power saving. try switching that off in the windows control panel. see if u get the same. did your old monitor do this?

My old Sony 19" (RIP) started doing that about a month before it burned out (literally). I swapped out video cards in an effore to narrow down the cause and indeed it turned out to be the monitor.

i used to have another 19in viewsonic that lost its brightness
thats why i replaced it

but that one never did any spark sounds and went blank
so thats why i assume its the monitor

and no i dont have another comp to hook it up

another thing ive noticed is that i always have to re-adjust the location of my screen...like moving it verticly or horizontaly alot... it changes every time start my computer....

well i just bougt the damn thing so im sure i can bring it back
but is it the monitor?

I thought I the monitor was the issue when I bought my P90f back 2 years ago. It wasn't. This is what it's doing:

The "spark" sound is normal. That is the monitor going through power saving mode or different resolutions. Someone mentioned it earlier; try adjusting your power settings in the Control Panel, if you are running Windows.

The "sizing" issue is actually not an issue. I thought it was when I first got my screen, then found out, it's actually a fact that when you power the monitor on, you have to wait for it to WARM UP. Sorta like a car. If the monitor hasn't been on for about 30 min, you will get an off center screen. Therefore, turn your screen on, wait for it to warm up, then adjust the settings for the screen to your liking.

The monitor memorizes the settings you do for each resolution AND refresh rate at that resolution; it is not a global application. Therefore, if you are gaming, adjust the monitor in whatever resolution you use the most, then adjust the settings for your regular desktop resolution.

Back