Businesses Start to Embrace Windows 7

Lol the company I work for just finally upgraded the rest of their machines to Xp like 2 1/2 years ago. But I did peek into the IT dept about 6 months ago and they had a Win 7 RC test rig just sitting on a shelf with nothing hooked up, sad. I'll bet it will take them another 2 years or longer before they see any Win 7 machines on the floor, lol.

Already have Windows 7 Pro (x64) deployed where I work. That is 47 machines that had XP. I just beefed up the ram to 4GB as well. We just have basic browser needs. 2 special programs are used, but both work with Windows 7 so far. The transition has been seamless.

My company's in the process of doing upgrades now. Only reason I'm still on XP is that most of irRational's suckware isn't fully compatable with win7 and they're having trouble trying to get a VM working that has the stuff pre-installed and working for anyone other than the admin who created it.

We are in the final stages of upgrading to Win 7. Our experience has been good so we are accelerating the final stage. We will be all WIn 7 in the next 60 days.

I work for a very large worldwide company and we are making the switch to Windows 7. 32 bit for laptops and desktops, 64bit for our CAD workstations.

Should be interesting. Most of the users I support aren't much for change. So I'll be answering a ton of dumb everyday Windows 7 questions I'm sure.

I'm not involved in migrating anything from XP to 7, but from what I've heard, it's been a real pain in the butt with a lot of applications.

I have a number of geology companies in my care, started moving some AutoCAD 2010 users to Windows 7. Three machines on Win 7 64bit, one on 7 32bit. The 32bit user is happy, no major problems. The 64bit users were unhappy with AutoCAD speed and crashes and plotting problems to older plotters with limited 64bit support. Two of the users reverted to XP (have always used 32bit), the third 64bit is happy because he uses Acad seldom and plots even less. The Win 7 32bit user is happy. Guess I'll stick with 32bit on new machines.

I have a number of geology companies in my care, started moving some AutoCAD 2010 users to Windows 7. Three machines on Win 7 64bit, one on 7 32bit. The 32bit user is happy, no major problems. The 64bit users were unhappy with AutoCAD speed and crashes and plotting problems to older plotters with limited 64bit support. Two of the users reverted to XP (have always used 32bit), the third 64bit is happy because he uses Acad seldom and plots even less. The Win 7 32bit user is happy. Guess I'll stick with 32bit on new machines.

Or how about get a modern plotter? I use ACAD 2010 and plotters with a 64 bit system (XP) and have no problems. The problem is you are trying to use old plotters which, despite being expensive compared to a desktop printer, aren't any more expensive than most desktops themselves. There's no excuse for a printer A FREAKING PRINTER (however expensive) making the 32/64 bit choice for you.

I work for a major corporation and am part of the Win 7 upgrade project. One of the reasons (in addition to being outdated, etc.) that we are upgrading to Win7 is because there is actually a licensing limitation for downgrading to XP from a Win7 license. Since most new systems ship with a license for the latest OS and since most corporations don't have the time/manpower to update their images right away, Microsoft allows downgrading rights to install an older version OS, even though the newer version OS license was purchased. The catch is that this license only extends to the lessor of 2 major OS releases or 3 service releases. Counting back, that means Win7, Vista SP2, Vista SP1, Vista, and finally XP SP3. Once a service pack is released for Win7 (which is anticipated for later this year), the downgrade rights to go back to XP will disappear.

I work for a major corporation and am part of the Win 7 upgrade project. One of the reasons (in addition to being outdated, etc.) that we are upgrading to Win7 is because there is actually a licensing limitation for downgrading to XP from a Win7 license. Since most new systems ship with a license for the latest OS and since most corporations don't have the time/manpower to update their images right away, Microsoft allows downgrading rights to install an older version OS, even though the newer version OS license was purchased. The catch is that this license only extends to the lessor of 2 major OS releases or 3 service releases. Counting back, that means Win7, Vista SP2, Vista SP1, Vista, and finally XP SP3. Once a service pack is released for Win7 (which is anticipated for later this year), the downgrade rights to go back to XP will disappear.

Thank you for that thorough explanation!! It makes so much sense now! :D

Back